Are bluetooth headsets today able to to do stereo sound and microphone communication simultaneously?
Apr 26, 2020 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rwolf

New Head-Fier
It seems I can only post here. I have a bluetooth headset and when I play games with it, it can either produce stereo sound or allow microphone use, but cannot do them both at the same time. I found this post: https://www.howtogeek.com/354321/why-bluetooth-headsets-are-terrible-on-windows-pcs/. It was written in 2018 for bluetooth 4.2. I just wonder if it is still an issue for bluetooth 5.0, 5.1 or even 5.2 headsets?

Apr 27, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 5
Is there a reason why the PlayStation Gold headset can do microphone and stereo gaming at the same time? I use it for shooters and have always been able to use them simultaneously. It’s a Bluetooth headset, maybe the USB dongle?

Apr 27, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 5
Is there a reason why the PlayStation Gold headset can do microphone and stereo gaming at the same time? I use it for shooters and have always been able to use them simultaneously. It’s a Bluetooth headset, maybe the USB dongle?
If it has a dongle, then it is not bluetooth. But The dongle wireless technology is so much better than bluetooth that it can support both stereo sound and microphone. I was cheated by bluetooth because producers always tell people their products can transmit stereo music and have microphones, but never tell people if they can work together.

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 5
It seems I can only post here. I have a bluetooth headset and when I play games with it, it can either produce stereo sound or allow microphone use, but cannot do them both at the same time. I found this post: https://www.howtogeek.com/354321/why-bluetooth-headsets-are-terrible-on-windows-pcs/. It was written in 2018 for bluetooth 4.2. I just wonder if it is still an issue for bluetooth 5.0, 5.1 or even 5.2 headsets?

Impossible with Bluetooth, even with version 5.2.

Thing is, the number went up, but the audio spec didn't change a single bit. Bluetooth 5 cares a lot more about Low Energy applications: the core Bluetooth specification actually did not change much at all. What you're interested in is the Hands-Free Profile (HFP) and the Headset Profile (HSP) for Bluetooth, which is what's responsible for the low quality.

Just so you know, everything you read about Bluetooth 4.2 still applies for audio streaming for Bluetooth 5.0. Frankly, those who stated that BT5 offers superior quality don't know what they're talking about. The limitation is never the transfer speed, but the fact that the codecs simply don't use that much bandwidth to begin with. BT4 has a maximum transfer rate of up to 3 Mbps, BT5 6 Mbps; LDAC only goes up to 990 kbps. The only theoretical advantage is the fact that BT5 devices potentially have more range and therefore can keep an optimal connection going.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 5
Impossible with Bluetooth, even with version 5.2.

Thing is, the number went up, but the audio spec didn't change a single bit. Bluetooth 5 cares a lot more about Low Energy applications: the core Bluetooth specification actually did not change much at all. What you're interested in is the Hands-Free Profile (HFP) and the Headset Profile (HSP) for Bluetooth, which is what's responsible for the low quality.

Just so you know, everything you read about Bluetooth 4.2 still applies for audio streaming for Bluetooth 5.0. Frankly, those who stated that BT5 offers superior quality don't know what they're talking about. The limitation is never the transfer speed, but the fact that the codecs simply don't use that much bandwidth to begin with. BT4 has a maximum transfer rate of up to 3 Mbps, BT5 6 Mbps; LDAC only goes up to 990 kbps. The only theoretical advantage is the fact that BT5 devices potentially have more range and therefore can keep an optimal connection going.
Damn you are an expert! Thank you for your info! It seems bluetooth is still behind what we need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back