Are Apple's In-Ear Headphones True Canal Phones?
May 21, 2005 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

newguy

100+ Head-Fier
After having problems with the plug of my PX 100s with my new iPod Photo, today I went out and bought Apple's In-Ear Headphones.

I've always wondered whether I could successfully insert and comfortably wear Etys or Shure in canal headphones.

I had no problem inserting the Apple In-Ear Headphones with the smallest tip. I like the sound better than the PX100s. I also like the smaller size, the fact that I look less like a dork and that the color of the headphones matches my iPod.

I now wonder whether if I can insert the Apple In-Ear headphones whether I could insert the Etys or Shure or whether they go in more deeply or differently. I like the isolation of the Apple In-Ears.

Thanks for any help!

May 21, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 33
I think the Sony EX71s are meant to be better than the iPod headphones, perhaps they would be ok?

May 21, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness
I think the Sony EX71s are meant to be better than the iPod headphones, perhaps they would be ok?

he's not talking about the regular iPod earbuds.

May 21, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS
I thought Apples in-ear phones were rebranded Sonys. No?

they may be made by sony, but they are not simple rebrands. they have a signifcantly different design and sound compared to the sony EX series.

May 22, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #9 of 33
everyone likes to bash the hell out of the apple in ears, but honestly i think its cause the people that bash them are not getting them to seal correctly. I have owned and tried quiet a few high end cans, and i think the apple in ears are pretty damm good for the cash. wayyyyy better than the sony ex series. those are just annoying with the short cord and the swinging thing that hangs one the left side. i run with mine commute with them, skateboard, snowboard, mountain bike, gym, running and they have been very durable. i like them better than (start bashin i can take it)
eggosmile.gif
koss ksc 75, 55 sony ex 51, 71, 81, grado sr 80. tone is subjective there is no right or wrong just what sounds good to the user.

May 22, 2005 at 9:20 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lord of volume
everyone likes to bash the hell out of the apple in ears, but honestly i think its cause the people that bash them are not getting them to seal correctly. I have owned and tried quiet a few high end cans, and i think the apple in ears are pretty damm good for the cash.

Confirmed. They need a very very very long time to burn in (put them in a drawer for a week or so), but then they can be quite nice. Loads of bass, nice staging & depth. A little shy on detail. You will probably need to experiment with the earpieces and seating. These actually would be better if the cord was not symmetrical so you could avoid microphonics. The cord is also on the short side and makes you wish Apple would come out with a better wired remote, one that has a less ridiculous clip.

May 22, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

everyone likes to bash the hell out of the apple in ears, but honestly i think its cause the people that bash them are not getting them to seal correctly.

this is a valid reason to bash them, as the tips are poorly designed for most people's ears. i owned a pair for 2 days, and in those 2 days i could never get the damn things to seal for more than a couple minutes. they sounded decent enough for that couple minutes, though.

May 22, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 33
agreed the ear tips can be a pain but my method works well. just moisten the tips with a little water or (yes this is gross but hey sometimes its gotta be on the fly but its my own saliva) some slavia. sorta like a wet willy but once they are in they are sealed. I also have used ex 71 tips with much success. In my honest opinion these are way better than anything sony has done with their ex 71s. Long story but i have three pairs and two back ups. and one with a set of sony tips. i use to for sleepy time. I freaked out when i used them with my gilmore lite. it was a huge step up in quality. Out of my lappy they sound decent too. The shuffle does an awesome job of driving them. My 3rd gen ipod 30 gig is not as great and does little justice.

May 22, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

agreed the ear tips can be a pain but my method works well. just moisten the tips with a little water or (yes this is gross but hey sometimes its gotta be on the fly but its my own saliva) some slavia.

nope, that didn't work for me or several others on this board. the lick 'em and stick method is favored by many ety users, including me, so it's applied to many canalphones. the apple in-ear phones just have weirdly shaped tips.

May 22, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 33
well then i must have wierdly shaped ears cause they work great. In fact after using the sony tips and the apple, i prefer the apple tips. Like tone, fitting to headphones is subjective, what might be wierd for you might not be for others. Each user has to try them in order to decide wether it will work for them. Not just based on my or your experience. Everyone hears differently. Some like bass, others dont' its all about what works for you. Just because you think the tips are wierd doesnt' mean they are, maybe your wierd.
eggosmile.gif

May 22, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Just because you think the tips are wierd doesnt' mean they are, maybe your wierd.
eggosmile.gif

considering the amounts of complaints there were aired about the shape of the tips on the apple in ear phones, on this and other sites, i think my experience was quite common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back