Are any of you happy with the cable your headphone comes with?
Jan 26, 2014 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TsukiNick

500+ Head-Fier
On every nice headphone I own, I have replaced the original cable or modded it in some way.

DT990 250 Pro - Coiled cable got really annoying due to awkward weight distribution // Solution Mogami 2534+Neutrik 1/4th inch
ATH-M50 - Cable too darn long for a portable headphone // installed 3.5mm jack (It came out ugly but works)
Sennheiser HD598 Cable too long and terminated in 1/4th inch so it was an absolute pain to bring to work // solution bought cable from ebay.   (The original cable I believe has grounding issues as well.  Makes bad sounds when connected to my Schiit Magni when it's connected to my computer, the new cable doesn't have this issue)

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 7
I am pretty happy with Grado stock cable.....no micophonics at all.......very nice

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 7
Superlux HD 681 Evo: The stock cable is pretty standard. I do like how it connects to a little cable dongle rather than plugging straight into the headphone. It's a nice safety measure if you trip the cable.

Sennheiser HD 598: The stock cable with the adapter on the end is ridiculous. Thankfully you can get a replacement cable now from either Ebay or Sennheiser's web store which fixes that up nicely.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 7
I almost always use stock cables.  The only headphone I changed was an HD580 and that was only a minor upgrade to a stock HD650 cable.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 7
I agree the cables that come stock are not ideal.  Out of all the headphones I owned I've never been completely satisfied with any of them.  The latest is the K712 I bought.  I love the headphones, but the cables aren't great.  While the quality of them is fine, they seem to have a "memory" of the shape they were in when shipped (folded).  Even the coiled cable, where the cable is uncoiled, near the headphones themselves, seem to twist no matter how I try to unwind them in any direction.  I think the ones I liked the best were the MS-1's I had.  I think headphones should start shipping with braided cables with nylon sheathing.  I don't currently own any but they look like they would bypass that issue of trying to twist.

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 7
I've rarely had bad experiences with stock. KNS8400 was exceptionally bad, which is one of the reasons I returned it. But most are adequate (Fostex) to good (Grados and some AKGs). But one might prefer alternative cables if stock feels flimsy (cheaper Kosses, some AKGs, several Sennheisers) or for aesthetic reasons if one prefers a different texture on the sleeve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back