Are All Toslink Optical Cables the Same in terms of Audio Quality for CD's
Apr 9, 2006 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Hershon2000

100+ Head-Fier
If you feel certain toslink optic cables (both glass & regular) produce better audio sound for regular 2 channel CD's, I'd appreciate you listing the brand & model number, irregardless of how high the price. My personal experience is that I've noticed differences but there was no rhyme or reason for them. For instance, most of the optic cables I bought, originally by chance, from a regular seller on Ebay (I'll list his screen name on request), were only around $8 or $9 & yet produced far better audio sound, I know this is heresy to say, then Monster's MLS 1000 whose sound I couldn't stand. The MLS 1000 actually made my CD audio sound a bit muted, it took the balls out of things. My weird experiences with Monster cables besides optic stuff is the cheapest & first level stuff sounds fine on my system, but their more expensive upper level stuff seems to take the balls out of my audio sound. I also bought on Ebay a glass fiber optic cable, again from a regular seller for around $25 I think, which I use for my digital TV sound to my receiver. It produces a great sound but I don't use it for DVD or CD's because the audio signal is too strong. Anyway, if you think that something like Audioquest's $400 or so Optilink-5 cable is a waste in regards to improving audio quality, I'd appreciate you saying so. Thanks

Apr 11, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 4
Personally, I have that glass toslink from ebay. Works great for me. You should not have a "too strong" a signal from an optical cable. Either it is okay (plastic) or good (glass fiber). I would never spend more money on an optical cabla than the one I have: a 12' glass one from ebay around 25 bucks. Anything more is a waste, IMO. For the price of that Audioquest cable, you can get another high end headphone.

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hershon2000
...It produces a great sound but I don't use it for DVD or CD's because the audio signal is too strong.

What did you mean by, too strong?
confused.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 4
There is no such thing as strong. 1010101010011010111011 really can't get any louder than 'on'.

Glass can generally run for longer distances, and in many cases can handle more bandwidth. Certain devices won't sync unless they get minimal diffraction, which means glass fibre. I wouldn't sweat it too much for CD or even 5.1 home theatre.

Maybe the new hd dvd formats could take advantage of the bandwidth if they don't do something stupid like watermarking or DSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back