Are all Optical-outs created equal?
Nov 26, 2002 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
Pretty self-explanatory. Are they?

Is there a fundamental difference between COAXIAL, TOSLINK, SPDIF, etc. optical channels? Given all else being equal (ie. quality of CD transport), should there be any difference between the sound coming from a CD player thru its optical outputs? What about different optical cables?

If so, how does this affect sound quality exactly?

Nov 26, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Pretty self-explanatory. Are they?

Is there a fundamental difference between COAXIAL, TOSLINK, SPDIF, etc. optical channels? Given all else being equal (ie. quality of CD transport), should there be any difference between the sound coming from a CD player thru its optical outputs? What about different optical cables?

If so, how does this affect sound quality exactly?

Among the stuff you mentioned, only toslink is optical. Coax is electrical. S/P DIF is the interface standard which could be coax or toslink.

Nov 26, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 7
it'd all be "digital" but the optical would be free of any EMI intereference for the most part.
confused.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Well, coaxial is shielded, so EMI should not be a problem. I think most common problem with coaxial is grounding problem....

Optical has its own problem like dispersion loss...

Nov 27, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 7
So, is there a benefit of using the digital coax connection vs. athe digital optical (SPDIF type) one between my transport and an external DAC? Or vice versa?

Nov 27, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 7
I'd suggest coaxial unless there's a grounding issue, especially if you have to use long cable. Of course XLR is best, if available, especially, if you have to use long cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Are there really good audiophile cables that have RCA on one end and XLR on the other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back