Arctis pro vs dt 1990?
Feb 13, 2020 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

akossoka

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone

I have the dt 1990 pro and i kind of like it
but i can get the arctis pro however i would have to give the dt 1990 for it and it would be a right bother getting an other one (availability) :/

Should i go for it?
Can the arctis pro be better or as good as the dt 1990?

Thank you for the help :)

Feb 13, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 7
Both headphones are in different markets. Arctis Pro is on that dreaded "gaming" market. Shade aside, I won't deny the quality and performance of some gaming focused products. However, the DT-1990 is a serious audio professionals tool. I traded my DT-1990 with an audio engineer for his T1, he almost drooled over the specs and performance of the DT-1990.

What I'm getting to is, you will find a VERY different sound signature in the DT-1990; focused on transparency, accuracy and reliability. The bass on the DT-1990 is extremely competent, but no where near bass cannons. The DT-1990 shines on the treble, which if you're not used to Trebledynamic house sound, you may find its insanely detailed sound, fatiguing, bothersome even. Another thing, DT-1990 impedence is 250 Ohms, Arctis Pro is only 32 Ohms. That means you will more likely than not, will need a decent headphone amplifier to go along with the DT-1990. I'm talking about amps with somewhere around 500-600mW at 300 Ohms to get the most out of your DT-1990. I'm sure an amplifier with the Arctics Pro is not needed

To answer your question, without having listened the Arctis Pro; which it's kind of hypocritical on my part, but having owned other gaming focused Headphones and used the DT-1990 extensively. I can say with at least...60%? certainty, the Arctis Pro stands no chance of being "better" than the DT-1990. The build on the DT-1990 is the best I've had so far, it made the T1 (Beyerdynamic's Flagship) look poorly constructed in comparison, being a pro tool is completely serviceable. I've had the DT-770 for 8 years now, I've replaced the plastic sliders and pads and the supplier has all the parts to practically replace the headphone in its entirety, that also applied to the DT-1990.

The gaming headsets I had fell apart in months, good luck repairing those. In fact the last fancy gaming headphone I had fell apart so badly, that I decided to opt out of anything gaming related to audio and stick to pro audio stuff. Haven't looked back since.

Feb 13, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply

I actually bought the dt 1990 because i wanted a bright sound but i never had beyer before
Just saying i was looking for treble ;P
I dont like bass that much im more of a upper mid range kind of guy xP

I will use the chord mojo as amp/dac (cant for now but soon)

I already own the cloud II thats gaming brand and imho its pretty good for the price but far less "breathing"
It heats up my ears a lot so after a bit really uncomfortable but fine in the first hour

(hd 600 and dt1990 dont have this problem)

I had it for 1.5 years now and other than its (non replacable) cable its still in pretty good condition xP

(the dt1990 is practically new i just bought it 2 days ago)
(I no longer have the hd600 btw i had it borrowed for 2 weeks)

I think "gaming" brand headphones have it worse than they deserve the cloud 2 is honestly worth its cost imho

But going back to dt 1990 vs arctis pro
i actually heard plenty good about the sound of both from reviewers

They are done by people comparing them to complately different things thou sadly :/
Its hard to tell if the arctis pro has great sound
or it has great sound compared to other "gaming" brand that is a lower bar than all headphones imho

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 7
The Arctis series headphones were/are muddy default when they came out. The software (EQ/filter) hides some of it, a Dac including the Pro Dac also hides it quite well.
(Fun Fact I was the one that informed them about how a Dac could hide it & then a few months later software update & revision driver & Dac version).
The Pro is improved, but it doesn't hold a candle of many if any of the open back headphones I've had since, The DT1990 sits far above some of the ones I could recommend that are better, Also the steelseries gaming sound is more Mids focused in my opinion (like some other gaming brands).
Your only advantage with the Acrtis is closed back (Unless a revision I'm unaware of: Although thin walled so... not really & needs more "padding" on the inner cup to improve sound ~ try it you will hear the improvement) & virtual 7.1 which isn't actually an advantage... against open backs DT1990 (let alone the fact you can use: Razer surround, Windows sonic, Dolby, GSX1000. Even in game audio options)

Comparing to Kingston Hyper X models doesn't really work.... They use Audiophile drivers usually: Takstar? (I forget) & Audeze e.t.c. its an invalid argument for both sides.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 7
Well...
I think open back makes it so my ears feel less hot so i think more comfortable but not absolutely needed

Why not compare it to hyperx?
Sorry i didnt really understand xP
Who use audiophile drivers? Hyperx?

Im just saying that its also gaming brand and its actually pretty good
(not as detailed as dt1990 thou xP)

Feb 14, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 7
Not surprised at all to be honest. "Gaming" headphones has boomy sounds that makes the explosions in CoD or BF games sounds so awesome.

Anyway, everyone their ears are different. I own open and closed back headphones and they do not make my ears warm, I mean, heck it hasn't snowed once here!

Some of the DT series have a very high peaks. It's up to you if you're treble-sensitive or not. I have the DT770 and it's high peaks are actually bearable and do not cause spikes to the brain.

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 7
I have been listening to it for a couple of days no im not that "treble-sensitive" i think but my song have lots and lots of highs in them

Just as a song example on which one do you think the song Goddess from Cepheid sound better?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back