Arctic Cables Discussion Thread
Jan 5, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #541 of 903
Thinking about a Magnus cable. How does that model compare to the competition...say Danacables Lazuli Reference?

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #542 of 903
Magnus looks way nicer! Danacables Lazuli Reference looks like a skipping rope.

PXL_20220108_201244480.jpg

Jan 19, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #547 of 903
Anyone know if arctic cable makes short interconnect cables?
They do, just send them a Mail with description of what you need

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #548 of 903
Hi all, I wanted to provide some impressions of the new Magnus S from Arctic Cables. This is a new 20AWGF pure copper cable, which appears to be the sibling of the original Magnus cable. I had the original Magnus cable before, which I'd paired with the Fostex TH900 and found the synergy to be spot on (as indeed several people here did). This time around, I got the Magnus S for the new Meze Liric and hoped for an equally successful pairing. Read below for the results...

The Liric, to my ears, is a very well-balanced headphone with a tight/punchy sub-bass, fairly linear mid-range, and a crispy top end. The overall timbre is engaging and forward, but if I had a complaint, it would be that the top end can be a little spicy at times whereas the lower-mids can lack warmth. I also find that despite being easy to drive, the Liric is a little picky about source, too. On aggressive sounding sources (Hugo 2/Cayin N6ii&E02), the spiciness in the top end is too much, whereas on smooth/neutral sounding sources (Mojo/TT2 but especially the Fiio M17) there is a welcome balance of precision and smoothness.

As to the Magnus S, the first thing that strikes me is the build. Typical of Arctic Cables more generally, the build is robust and substantial while also being fairly nimble. From what I gather – and from my own experience – the Magnus S is better suited to desktop or home use. It has a heft to it, which is very satisfying, but is not ideal for portable use. Special mention has to be given here to the new hexagon splitter, which not only compliments the cable on an aesthetic level, but also feels quite lovely to touch without adding any microphonics to the cable. Bravo. As ever with Arctic Cables, all the terminations are done exceptionally well and the service is also outstanding.

To the important part, how does the cable sound? As I mention above – and as has been mentioned on the Liric thread – the only point of contention in the Liric’s FR is the treble. I wouldn’t say it’s sibilant, but on the wrong source/set-up, it can be slightly biting. Only on the FiiO M17 do I find an almost perfect synergy that requires no tweaking. With the Magnus S cable, I’m happy to say this synergy is reproduced on sources outside of the M17.

For example, on the Hugo TT2 and Magnus S (both with and without a Cayin C9 amp attached), the treble is well-defined with excellent extension and resolution, but with a slightly smoother and somewhat less metallic timbre. Here, I have to agree with Arctic’s own description of the Magnus S: “The high-end is open, transparent, and detailed with excellent texture and layering levels, yet never fatiguing or harsh sounding.” Never fatiguing, indeed. I find the Liric a fantastic headphone for all genres, but I find it especially good for classic metal/rock. Much of this era of metal tends to be rather strident in its brightness. On the Liric with the Magnus S, I find no such problems and I’m able to listen to the Liric for hours on end without fatigue.

Let me also say, however, that just because the treble is rendered somewhat smoother with the Magnus S, this does not mean the overall timbre has been modified, nor have any of the Liric’s technical merits been dampened. On the contrary, the overall timbre remains the same but is now more cohesive. This is true not only of the treble, but also of the mids and the bass, both of which feel better integrated into the overall spectrum. The lower mids especially now have more weight to them, creating a more balanced spectrum without taking away the speed and attack of the headphone more broadly.

A final note on the comparison between the Magnus S and my other 3rd party Liric cable, the Claire Hybrid from Forza Audiowork. I’m a huge fan of Forza, and to my mind Forza and Arctic are equal in terms of their quality. Of course, Arctic Cables have the advantage of a lifetime warranty, which is no small thing. Regarding the cables, the Claire Hybrid is made from POCC copper + UPOCC silver wheras the Magnus S consists of 7N OCC Pure Copper, meaning the Claire Hybrid has a slightly airier timbre whereas the Magnus S leans toward a slightly warmer/natural presentation. Doing an A/B between the cables, it’s clear to me that while the Forza cable sounds exceptional on the FiiO M17, on other sources – not least the TT2 – the metallic tinge re-enters the presentation. By contrast, the Magnus S – for want of a less cringy term – has a more “organic” tonality to it. I ran this comparison a few times to verify my findings with different recordings, especially problematic ones. For example, one album that is prone to sibilance from the glory days of metal history if Maiden’s Seventh Son. Especially on the cymbals and on Bruce’s “s” sounds, sibilance can be problematic. Again, direct from the TT2, the Magnus S cable better handles these problematic peaks than the Forza cable (whereas again on the M17, the Forza & Liric combination works perfectly). On a technical front, there’s not a great deal of different in presentation – both cables sharpen and refine imaging, layering, and detail retrieval from the stock cable. I would only say that the Magnus S cable has a slightly more open quality than the Claire Hybrid, which feels more intimate. For my own purposes, these cables compliment one another, especially because the Magnus S is better suited for desktop use (terminating in a 6.35mm plug) while the Claire Hybird, with its lighter touch and its balanced termination, suits portable uses.

In sum, I cannot recommend the Magnus S enough for the Meze Liric. It’s fairly priced, fantastically built, and has an impeccable synergy with the Liric. Thumbs up!

P1100766.jpgP1100763.jpgP1100767.jpgP1100770.jpgP1100803.jpg

Jan 31, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #549 of 903
I bought a pair of used Focal Utopia's that came with a couple of aftermarket silver cables from a respected manufacturer. I tend to like a warmer presentation so I decided to pick up a Magnus cable - I wanted it terminated in XLR but then with a XLR to 6.3 jumper. Val was super to work with, always responding immediately (next day given the time difference), and knew exactly the components I wanted. Went all Furutech with pretty much every upgrade available.

It arrived a couple days ago - sounded noticably different than the other sets right out of the box...much more detail but a lacked a little of bass punch. The merits and argument of burn-in aside, I let them play overnight and most of the next day - and after that brief period (by burn-in standards) the sound was incredible. Bass was much better and the overall sound more cohesive. I was surprised at how much the sound changed with the cable swap, and for the better in this case. Not that the prior sets were bad by any means, but for my taste, the Magnus cables are just incredible. Thinking about getting an Integra cable for the Empyreans next....incorporate the silver to complement the warm headphone sound.

Jan 31, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #550 of 903
I bought a pair of used Focal Utopia's that came with a couple of aftermarket silver cables from a respected manufacturer. I tend to like a warmer presentation so I decided to pick up a Magnus cable - I wanted it terminated in XLR but then with a XLR to 6.3 jumper. Val was super to work with, always responding immediately (next day given the time difference), and knew exactly the components I wanted. Went all Furutech with pretty much every upgrade available.

It arrived a couple days ago - sounded noticably different than the other sets right out of the box...much more detail but a lacked a little of bass punch. The merits and argument of burn-in aside, I let them play overnight and most of the next day - and after that brief period (by burn-in standards) the sound was incredible. Bass was much better and the overall sound more cohesive. I was surprised at how much the sound changed with the cable swap, and for the better in this case. Not that the prior sets were bad by any means, but for my taste, the Magnus cables are just incredible. Thinking about getting an Integra cable for the Empyreans next....incorporate the silver to complement the warm headphone sound.

I am generally not a copper person, but all these favorable reviews on the Magnus are piquing my interest in copper again..

am waiting on a set of Aeris short adaptors for my solitaire P. hope they can make a good set for me!

Feb 1, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #551 of 903
Review: Arctic Cables: Cuprum & Magnus:

After ~350 hours burn in, the cryogenically treated 8 X 26 Awg 7N OCC copper Cuprum,
sounds like a knife cutting through hot butter. Everything Ooozes like it's a smooth creamy liquid
with increased 3D texture & layering. This is where I noticed that increased layering decreases harshness
since each individual sound occupies a different space in the 3D shape within the 3D soundstage, in contrast
to how an intercom at school sounds horrible because all the sounds seem be smooshed into one flattened space.
With Cuprum, sheets of synthesized swooshes, now shred effortlessly through the entire soundstage, with
a 3 dimensional texture & shape, I had never experienced before listening to music up until this point.

In contrast, after 40 hours of burn in, the cryogenically treated 4 X 18 Awg 7N OCC copper Magnus,
has, at least a 15% larger stage than Cuprum, if not more. It might not feel that much bigger, since the
entire image is slightly bigger, presumably due to the roughly 3X the copper that Magnus has over Cuprum.
Although Cuprum may have changed my life a bit, since I had never experienced music before in this way before,
Magnus kinda makes Cuprum feel like an IEM cable in comparison. Magnus is definitely more holographic than Cuprum.
Even with no burn in, I could easily tell, side by side, Magnus gives a bit more shape & texture to sounds than Cuprum.

Also, due to it's larger image, Magnus also seems to have a tad bit more resolution than Cuprum.
And Cuprum's resolution / sound separation, was such an improvement over Audeze's stock cable,
that I doubt that an LCD-XF with it's stock cable, would outperform an LCD-2F with Cuprum Or Magnus.
Regardless of whether this is absurd or not, I still feel like my drivers were being neutered by Audeze's stock cable.
Even if one strapped the $599 Audeze Premium cable on the Audeze LCD-XF, I don't think it would outperform
an Audeze LCD-2F with Magnus. I don't think it would be clear which was the more expensive headphone
in a blind test, under these conditions.

Given that most youtube reviewers seem luke warm to dead cold on cables, as a novice audiophile,
I was quite shocked by how much of an improvement, Cuprum & Magnus, were, over my stock cable.
Was I hallucinating this seemingly enormous difference? Was it a matter of what music I/they listen to?
Scientifically it makes sense that crystalline structures that are more orderly will produce clearer sound
reproduction, since we already know this to be true for casting bells. The more ordely the crystalline
structure of the bell, the more resonant the bell sounds. Despite the clear, holographic picture,
7N grade cables can create with the appropriate headphones, this may matter significantly more
to people that listen to very geometrical music, such as, Autechre, Matmos, Richard Devine,
Aphex Twin, Phoenecia, Qebrus, BOC, Squarepusher, Etc.

I question whether the original artists have even heard their own music in this way. This technology,
as far as I know, is pretty new. I'm not sure any cable manufactuer has even attempted a headphone
cable with as much 'metal' as Magnus. Before Magnus, Cuprum was likely the best 'bang for your buck'
cable on the market starting at $250. But now Magnus, for only $50 more, with more than 3X the copper,
is the best 'bang for your buck' cable on the market by a long shot. It's also the most beautiful cable I have ever
layed my eyes on. I'm not sure why anyone would take Cuprum over Magnus, since they're the same grade copper.

In conclusion, both these cables have significantly enhanced my listening experience. I feel like I am listening to
my entire catalog for the very first time. For this review, I have obviouslly been using an Audeze LCD-2F. I have also
been using an iFI Micro iDSD Signature. I generally always have the 3D+ & X Bass switches ON. I love the feeling like
sounds are being suspended out in front of me. I do not consider myself an Audiophile, but more of an Autechrephile.

An Autechrephile is basically an Audiophile that thinks of synthesizer music as an extension of the audio technology itself. Fittingly, Autechre Live might very well be 'Peak Sound Design', and this new line of 18 Awg cables from
Arctic Cables, might very well be 'Peak Cable Design'. I mean, I care more about my Magnus than I do about
my headphones. I feel like my headphones can be replaced. My Magnus can only be replaced as long as
Arctic Cables exists. This might sound irrational but I no longer dream of what an Audeze LCD-4 sounds like,
I wonder what it would sound like with a cryogenically treated 7N OCC 4 x 18 Awg cable attached.
I currently have the Magnus connecting Arya Stealth to my Cayin N6 II RO1 and it is so awesome almost disappears like np cable between DAP and Headphones

Feb 3, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #552 of 903
Just curious what others' experiences are WRT order fulfillment. What's the typical build time?

I placed an order 8 days ago. Not quite 48 hours after ordering, I had to request a change for headphone-side connector so I'm hoping I didn't stupidly cause a delay.

Feb 4, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #553 of 903
For Arctic Cables a typical order takes about 2weeks, I also updated connectors, but my order arrived in record time, this of course is my second cable purchase from Arctic
But when you finally receive your order know you are in for a treat. These are handmade so it does take about 2 weeks.
I just received my Integra series cables yesterday and they are phenomenal with my Arya Stealth revealing yet another level of detail especially in the top end while the general presentation had more muscle and fullness and sheen to it, this is just day one impressions. My previous cable was the Magnus (all copper) this was a wonderful cable but the new Integra dials in some Silver into the mix and that added a needed extension and detail to the High Frequencies and a bit more sweetness and sheen, extreme image reality, solidity ... 3D, I am waiting to see how much more this will improve with burn-in

ArcticCableIntegraAryaCayin.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #555 of 903
Looking for cable for lcd4 and heddphones.. Moon audio silver dragon is my primary and I want to add some copper... does anyone tried Magnus S and Moon audio black dragon? Is there difference in SQ...?
Wait for 4 X 18 AWG Magnus to come back in stock in a few weeks. But Magnus Or Magnus S will obliterate black dragon.
Wait a few hundred hours. It's closer to 7N grade than black dragon. And the extra copper adds resolution and image size,
and more importantly, holographic layering, shape, and texture. Magnus is an improvement of stoclk cable that is definitely
bigger than the difference between my Audeze LCD-2F and my Audeze LCD-XC. And both headphones sound roughly 30%
better with Magnus than the stock cable, at least after 300 burn in hours.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back