Arctic Cables Discussion Thread
May 9, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #107 of 887
Thanks elira, very useful to know. It's crystallizes what I suspected about that long hunk. Is it a total of ~110mm? Do you think any of these connections diminish the audio quality?
I do not think they diminish the audio quality. The PlusSound one is 68mm long and the Venture Electronics is 56 mm long.

IMG_3241.jpeg
I looked everywhere on the Plus Sound website and can't see that connector - certainly not listed in DIY>Connectors (very clunky website too).
It's in custom cables -> interconnects -> Micro Series Termination Adapter
http://www.plussoundaudio.com/customcables/interconnect.html

May 9, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #108 of 887
It's in custom cables -> interconnects -> Micro Series Termination Adapter
http://www.plussoundaudio.com/customcables/interconnect.html
Ok, great, and thanks again. Pretty sure I looked at that page but figured it wasn't there - now I have realised their pages are upside down: what you want to look at is down the bottom, and all the chest beating stuff is up the top...on every page....just in case we miss it the first 8 times....

What I meant about the length of 100mm was the combination of the Woo Audio + Neutrik XLR must be about 110mm long which would, as you say, put a very high load on the 4.4 pin, and make it much more prone to being caught on something or being bent in your pocket. Having the portable version as the termination, with the adaptor at the desk is certainly the more functionally practical solution, and if there is no loss of audio quality then that is the way to go.

May 12, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #109 of 887
Two nice Artic Cables, from their top of the line "Signum series", one for my Mysphere, the other for my Stellia. They look nice and sound great ! :)
sans titre-11-2.jpg

sans titre-12-2.jpg

sans titre-27-2.jpg

sans titre-37.jpg

Attachments

• sans titre-12-2.jpg
    sans titre-12-2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #110 of 887
i've had an silver Arctic Cable for quite some time now, so am comfortable with writing this post.

It is most definitely my favourite cable with the Utopia. i enjoy it the AC cable with the Utopia more than the Danacable Lazuli Reference and Moon Audio Black Dragon (both terminated for Utopia). i've also used ultrashort adaptors with cables from Norne (Silvergarde S3), JPS Labs (Superconductor) and PlusSound (X8 gold plated silver). The Utopia is such a fast and resolving headphone, but so far i found only the AC plays to that strength. I felt the other cables listed above (aside from the Black Dragon) seemed to dull out the upper registry, rounding off the top end just a bit too much.

There is this amazing clarity and transparency with the AC cable. the leading edge to notes is so clean, making vocals so crisp and clear. i also thought it was the most holographic with amazing 3d placement of elements in the music. it also had by far the best soundstage width, both laterally and in depth. Even with busy passages and songs with lots of instruments playing, there is really really good separation and just crazy pinpoint placing. In the lower registry, low end extension and texture were great, and there was fantastic punchiness and impact. The utopia is definitely not lacking in bass!

i've done countless quick a/b comparisons with this cable and my other cables and it really is no contest. not to say that the other cables are not good, just that they sounded better with other headphones. for eg, i preferred the JPS Superconductor with the Abyss 1266 (naturally) and the PlusSound X8 with the Verite Closed. The AC cable simply plays extremely well with the Utopia. Quite honestly, i'm done with a cable search for these headphones.

i have absolutely no complaints with the sound that i get with this cable. if i had any gripes, it would be with the construction; these are minor but i figure i might as well list them out. i would have preferred a heatshrink/sleeve over the furutech spring extension. the braids in the cable could have been tighter and more even. and lastly, the L and R markings on the headphone end are not lined up with the red dot on the utopia lemo connectors. the other cables i listed above all edge out the AC cable construction wise, but then again, it really is the sound that matters in the end.

if you have the Utopia, the AC cable is really really worth a try!

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #111 of 887
i've had an silver Arctic Cable for quite some time now, so am comfortable with writing this post.

It is most definitely my favourite cable with the Utopia. i enjoy it the AC cable with the Utopia more than the Danacable Lazuli Reference and Moon Audio Black Dragon (both terminated for Utopia). i've also used ultrashort adaptors with cables from Norne (Silvergarde S3), JPS Labs (Superconductor) and PlusSound (X8 gold plated silver). The Utopia is such a fast and resolving headphone, but so far i found only the AC plays to that strength. I felt the other cables listed above (aside from the Black Dragon) seemed to dull out the upper registry, rounding off the top end just a bit too much.

There is this amazing clarity and transparency with the AC cable. the leading edge to notes is so clean, making vocals so crisp and clear. i also thought it was the most holographic with amazing 3d placement of elements in the music. it also had by far the best soundstage width, both laterally and in depth. Even with busy passages and songs with lots of instruments playing, there is really really good separation and just crazy pinpoint placing. In the lower registry, low end extension and texture were great, and there was fantastic punchiness and impact. The utopia is definitely not lacking in bass!

i've done countless quick a/b comparisons with this cable and my other cables and it really is no contest. not to say that the other cables are not good, just that they sounded better with other headphones. for eg, i preferred the JPS Superconductor with the Abyss 1266 (naturally) and the PlusSound X8 with the Verite Closed. The AC cable simply plays extremely well with the Utopia. Quite honestly, i'm done with a cable search for these headphones.

i have absolutely no complaints with the sound that i get with this cable. if i had any gripes, it would be with the construction; these are minor but i figure i might as well list them out. i would have preferred a heatshrink/sleeve over the furutech spring extension. the braids in the cable could have been tighter and more even. and lastly, the L and R markings on the headphone end are not lined up with the red dot on the utopia lemo connectors. the other cables i listed above all edge out the AC cable construction wise, but then again, it really is the sound that matters in the end.

if you have the Utopia, the AC cable is really really worth a try!

Very helpful post. I am most surprised you perceived the AC silver edges out the Norne S3, which I preferred to the Lazuli Reference and Norne Draug Silver. Could you go more in detail comparing these two?

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #112 of 887
Very helpful post. I am most surprised you perceived the AC silver edges out the Norne S3, which I preferred to the Lazuli Reference and Norne Draug Silver. Could you go more in detail comparing these two?
Can you compare the draug silver to the s3?
i have the s3 so curious in the differences

thanks

Jun 4, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #113 of 887

I felt the AC silver brought out the best in the Utopia without taking anything away.

I quite liked the S3 with the Empyrean. But with the Utopia, seemed like there was not as good low end texture and high end sparkle as the AC silver. Felt the top end was dulled/rolled off, similar to the LR. Also less bass slam/impact than the AC.

In the end, I sold off the S3 as I had bought the plussound X8, which had better build, but comparatively thicker mids and mid bass (some may not like this with empy).

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #114 of 887
I am pretty much set on getting the AC silver for my Utopia. I sent an inquiry directly through the AC website, but I was wondering if anyone else could chip in with some questions I had:

1. On the signum+ page, there are three options for solder wire: Cardas Quad Eutectic Silver Solder, Mundorf Supreme 9.5% silver gold solder, and Viablue silver solder. I would have no idea which to choose. Can anyone weigh on the differences between these?
  2. There is an option to choose between braid types: round, square, or flat? Similar as above, can anyone weigh on potential advantages/disadvantages of each option? Does Norne, for instance, use square or round?
As an aside, it looks like the photos of the Signum + on the website display heatshrink around the spring on the Furutech 4-pin XLR termination connector.

Jun 8, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #115 of 887
I am pretty much set on getting the AC silver for my Utopia. I sent an inquiry directly through the AC website, but I was wondering if anyone else could chip in with some questions I had:

1. On the signum+ page, there are three options for solder wire: Cardas Quad Eutectic Silver Solder, Mundorf Supreme 9.5% silver gold solder, and Viablue silver solder. I would have no idea which to choose. Can anyone weigh on the differences between these?
  2. There is an option to choose between braid types: round, square, or flat? Similar as above, can anyone weigh on potential advantages/disadvantages of each option? Does Norne, for instance, use square or round?
As an aside, it looks like the photos of the Signum + on the website display heatshrink around the spring on the Furutech 4-pin XLR termination connector.
Hi, braid type is completely aesthetic nature. Choose which one suits you best. All 3 solder options are top notch. I suspect no one on this planet would hear a difference :wink:

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #116 of 887
I just got a Signum Series cable for Focal Utopias with a 4.4 mm plug for a HiBy R6 Pro. Really loving the sound. A definite step up from stock. When I plugged in for the first time, it was like flipping a turbo switch -- the sound was fuller, more detailed, punchier, with better separation -- yet wayyyy smoother all around. Was able to listen for hours without fatigue. From a tactile standpoint, the difference is night and day. The stock cable is horrible - scratchy, stiff, and microphonic. Arctic Cable is supple and soft. Really a delight.

IMG_1962.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #117 of 887
Just to be a little price conscious for the moment....what would the best bang for buck be in a 1.5m cable:
(specifying for both cables: Focal - Oyaide P3.5SR HP connectors, and 4.4mm Pentaconn Carbon-Fiber Rhodium-Plated Copper termination)

a 4 wire silver Signum Artic Cable at around USD413 (coz the 8 wire version isUSD633)
OR
an 8 wire Cuprum Series Arctic cable at around USD284

There is what looks to be a new Fusion series but no info is on the website yet. Price comparison looks to be around USD465 for an 8 wire bland of Copper and Silver wires (4 each). Any thoughts on this?

Also, would there be much difference between
4.4mm Pentaconn Carbon-Fiber Rhodium-Plated Copper ($10)
and
Furutech 4.4mm Pentaconn CF-7445 (R) ($68) ....assuming the (R) means Rhodium)

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #118 of 887
Just to be a little price conscious for the moment....what would the best bang for buck be in a 1.5m cable:
(specifying for both cables: Focal - Oyaide P3.5SR HP connectors, and 4.4mm Pentaconn Carbon-Fiber Rhodium-Plated Copper termination)

a 4 wire silver Signum Artic Cable at around USD413 (coz the 8 wire version isUSD633)
OR
an 8 wire Cuprum Series Arctic cable at around USD284

There is what looks to be a new Fusion series but no info is on the website yet. Price comparison looks to be around USD465 for an 8 wire bland of Copper and Silver wires (4 each). Any thoughts on this?

Also, would there be much difference between
4.4mm Pentaconn Carbon-Fiber Rhodium-Plated Copper ($10)
and
Furutech 4.4mm Pentaconn CF-7445 (R) ($68) ....assuming the (R) means Rhodium)
I would go for the 4 wire Signum.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #120 of 887
Can I ask what your reasoning would be please?
Because wire count for 1.5 meters should not play a big role. The used metal on the other hand does. Silver is the best conductor. That’s why I would go for the Signum.
I don’t know the new Fusion series. You should ask Roy from Arctic cables what he can say about that new cable. Looks interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back