Archos 48 IT 500gb or Ipod 5.5 240gb
Feb 25, 2012 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kazekeil

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 18, 2012
Posts
346
Likes
132
Both will cost me approximately the same, and i'll be running them into my V-Moda m80s. The Archos is sooooo tempting for it's sheer size and video support (So much room for .mkv anime and other movies). I'm concerned with how pocketable it is, and it's SQ. I'm not an audiophile, and I know you can rockbox the 5.5 for some nice EQing, but does that outweigh 260 extra gigs of space and brilliant video support? I enjoy music very much, but I always want to get the most out of a big purchase (~$180 is a big purchase for me). With the ipod, I have what I suppose is superior SQ and EQ support(which I do want btw) but I also think there is a port of rockbox that runs as an app over android.
 
I'm just so split on this, but leaning toward the archos. If anyone can tell me how pocketable the archos is, and if it's SQ is really that bad, It'd be very appreciated.
 
Note that i'll be picking up the Zo2 amp soon as well. How would the archos work out with it?
 
EDIT: Found this that would(should) run on the archos without any modification
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1308873
 
May 14, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 10

nk77

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Posts
672
Likes
16
Not really an old old thread so I will resurrect. What happened with this? I am looking at getting the archos for flac support and store my 180gb + and increasing collection of flac. Do you use the amp at all?
 
And what exactly is this '240 gb' ipod? A HDD swap?
 
May 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 10

McMaz

Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 20, 2012
Posts
71
Likes
11
Quote:
Not really an old old thread so I will resurrect. What happened with this? I am looking at getting the archos for flac support and store my 180gb + and increasing collection of flac. Do you use the amp at all?
 
And what exactly is this '240 gb' ipod? A HDD swap?

The ipod 240 is a HDD swap. Just did mine and it was fairly easy. There are vids on youtube how to do it. I have also thought about the Archos 48 as it has [size=x-small]usb 2.0 mtp without docking. I don't know if this can transfer a straight digital to an external amp, if so this would be great for flacs. Maybe someone here has the 48 and can shed some light.[/size]
 
May 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 10

Kazekeil

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 18, 2012
Posts
346
Likes
132
I did get the archos, and I absolutely love it. I use the current version of the player I linked to in the OP. The device can handle a 5 or 6 band EQ that works very nicely. SQ is on par with my ipod nano 5th gen and obviously much better after some EQ. The amp is amazing as well and I use it for everything. My preferred combo currently is the archos with a custom EQ into the zo at medium levels into my Creative Aurvana 3 IEMs.
 
May 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 10

nk77

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Posts
672
Likes
16
Quote:
I did get the archos, and I absolutely love it. I use the current version of the player I linked to in the OP. The device can handle a 5 or 6 band EQ that works very nicely. SQ is on par with my ipod nano 5th gen and obviously much better after some EQ. The amp is amazing as well and I use it for everything. My preferred combo currently is the archos with a custom EQ into the zo at medium levels into my Creative Aurvana 3 IEMs.

 
And you don't have the storage problems and any other issues like a few people have? How much of the 500gb do you use? You use flacs or any lossless stuff?
 
I personally don't like using eq but I needed to do it with poweramp on my galaxy s2 phone just coz it was crap quality otherwise with my shure se535s. I may just take the plunge with the archos - seems to me like a hit and miss with their quality control.
 
 
May 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 10

nk77

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Posts
672
Likes
16
Quote:
The ipod 240 is a HDD swap. Just did mine and it was fairly easy. There are vids on youtube how to do it. I have also thought about the Archos 48 as it has [size=x-small]usb 2.0 mtp without docking. I don't know if this can transfer a straight digital to an external amp, if so this would be great for flacs. Maybe someone here has the 48 and can shed some light.[/size]

 
I wonder if this would work with ipod 160gb 6th gen and a 7th gen (slim one)? Can you use larger capacities - maybe a 500gb to rival the archos?
 
May 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 10

lostid

New name: DMinor
Joined
Dec 21, 2011
Posts
872
Likes
17
I know nothing about this product, but you may want to read what other say about it at Amazon.
 
I would get an used ipod 5.5G and upgrade the HDD to 240GB. It should cost less than $200 if you DIY the upgrade including a new battery.
 
Man these days I sound like a salesman for the ipod 5G except I am not getting any commissions from the bad apple.
wink_face.gif

 
May 14, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 10

nk77

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Posts
672
Likes
16
Or use this route: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/iPod-Video-240GB-Hard-Drive-Upgrade-Kit-iPod-5-and-5-5-Toshiba-MK2431GAH-/230785825541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bbe83b05
 
Apparently it can work with the 7th gen, which I have. Or just buy one ready - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/240GB-iPod-upgrade-classic-7th-Gen-160GB-iPod-Black-/230770919516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bb04c85c
 
 
And with regards to the Archos: I have read the reviews about the 48, and skimmed through most of the archos 5 ones. I figured the OPs archos purchase would be one of the later batches of the tablet. Might be less problematic...who knows. Hence the questions.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top