Archiving format: RAR
May 17, 2003 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 10
Because you touch yourself at night.

Biggie.

May 17, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 10
rar is slow as hell. always has been always will be. most things that it's commonly used with aren't very compressable anyway. i suggest using the "store" setting.

May 17, 2003 at 8:07 AM Post #4 of 10
Most compression software take longer when set to maximum compression, because they take more passes at the data. Each pass will compress it a little bit more, until one pass and the next are the same size (or worse, the latter pass is bigger -- yes, it happens), that's how it knows when to stop. This takes quite a long time if the data is compressible.

May 17, 2003 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 10
Sometimes, the tradeoff between time-to-compress and file-size just doesn't, pay off. Very few compression algorithms impress me with their maximum compression -- however, one does. bzip2 is freakin' amazing. You ever see it in action?

linux-2.4.20.tar.gz = 32.4 MB
linux-2.4.20.tar.bz2 = 26.2 MB

.tar.gz means it was compressed with gzip, and .tar.bz2 means it was compressed with bzip2. Just amazing, really.

May 17, 2003 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 10
neil I don't use linux, Win XP Pro only. Is bzip2 available for windows?

Anyway, this is for archiving, I want to make the most efficient use of my disk space for storing ****. I used to use the store option cause my old computer was slower than Biggie's dumb mental thought process.

May 17, 2003 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 10
what kind of stuff are you storing? Personally i wouldn't be rar'ing files up constantly to save a few megs here and there, it might be a good idea to invest in a external HD or maybe a Zip drive (one of those 1 or 2 gig drives). Maybe an external cdrw drive is in order?

May 17, 2003 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 10
I use rar all the time. For the most part I've found it better than zip but about the same speed in normal mode. I've never really found much of a meaningful difference between normal and max other than a much longer compress time. I use it mainly because when I render an animation it's usually out to sequential tifs at a little over 1 meg a frame, 30 frames a second disk space can get eaten very quickly. I recently compressed a short animation that was well over 2 gig down to about 70 meg using rar in normal mode. It took about 20 min to half an hour if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back