Archgon Delicato Over Ear Hi-Res Headphones - Impressions
Aug 10, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #16 of 35
well as it turned out, I'm rather disappointed in what i hear coming through these Archgons! The first thing that comes to mind is that they err on the side of well.. congested and even slightly 'echoey' ? And there is virtually no real BOTTOM happening in the bass department at all! I also long for a more spacious sound...which may or may not mean that I'm an open-back fan....? The $35 Samsons I got via Ali are pretty much the best I've heard!
So..,. my faith in my own decision-making has taken quite a hit, and I'm now thinking very much in terms of amp/DACS. All I have right now is a little entry-level Topping NX1s amp and a Douk Nobsound mini tuber, also 'entry-level'. Any suggestions from Headfiers as to how I might make a real step up from here? I think I'm willing to pay up to $200. if ONLY i could decide on one that would make my bottom-end dreams come true, and open up that SPATIALITY i do so adore...

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #17 of 35
My delicato just arrived today, first impression is such a huge disappointment, muddy, sounds like its underwater, quite small for an over ear but comfortable nonetheless. I think the drivers inside have the potential but this pads that come with it is ruining the sound quality. will update later..

man if you guys prefer this over mdr1a then how bad those things sound.

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #18 of 35
My delicato just arrived today, first impression is such a huge disappointment, muddy, sounds like its underwater, quite small for an over ear but comfortable nonetheless. I think the drivers inside have the potential but this pads that come with it is ruining the sound quality. will update later..

man if you guys prefer this over mdr1a then how bad those things sound.
sure would like to know how you do with finding that driver potential, aye! I haven't listened to
mine since I got 'em and found them to be muddy as hell...no fun at all

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #19 of 35
sure would like to know how you do with finding that driver potential, aye! I haven't listened to
mine since I got 'em and found them to be muddy as hell...no fun at all

play with it using equalizer specially 250hz,4khz,8khz and 16khz. the resolution is there quite good actually, but the pads is ruining the sound, I tried to add some dampers inside hoping it would help a bit but to no avail. these pads is the major problem. man the hype for these cans are a joke. so hard to believe with people anymore here in headfi lol. I should've went to okcsc zx1.

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #24 of 35
can you maybe say a little about why you believe that the drivers COULD be good with right pads? What is it that gives you that impression, so far?

the best example I can give you is grado specifically the prestige series lineup.. the grado sr60e sounds best using Lcush pads, sounds okay using the stock pads, and sounded crap using the Gpads.

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #26 of 35
I ordered a pair of these for myself for Father’s Day, since they’re only $49.99 on Amazon.

OOTB they rattled on 1 side, which I figured was a bad driver. When I popped the pad off, the driver was all crinkled and dented. I was able to apply a gentle vacuum a few times, and the diaphragms popped back out perfectly. At least the rattle was gone, so now I could get a proper listen.

They are definitely dark and L shaped (moreso than I prefer).

The pads are comfy memory foam, but there’s no pad perforations on the inside, so I think a pad swap would do wonders with them.

The build seems solid for a ~$100 headphone. It’s pretty much all plastic except for the yokes. But since that’s the weakest spot on most headphones, I’m totally ok with that.

I haven’t decided if I’m going to send them back or keep them. They seem to have good modding potential.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #27 of 35
I ordered a pair of these for myself for Father’s Day, since they’re only $49.99 on Amazon.

OOTB they rattled on 1 side, which I figured was a bad driver. When I popped the pad off, the driver was all crinkled and dented. I was able to apply a gentle vacuum a few times, and the diaphragms popped back out perfectly. At least the rattle was gone, so now I could get a proper listen.

The pads are comfy memory foam, but there’s no pad perforations on the inside, so I think a pad swap would do wonders with them.

The build seems solid for a ~$100 headphone. It’s pretty much all plastic except for the yokes. But since that’s the weakest spot on most headphones, I’m totally ok with that.

I haven’t decided if I’m going to send them back or keep them. They seem to have good modding potential.

I have mine for more than a year now, and modifications really helps for it to sound good, the drivers are even technically better on what I find on the b8 but it will crackle when you elevate up the bass region. Still can't believe how people find the stock sound to be good as some users said in this thread.

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #28 of 35

I swapped pads on them and there is definitely an improvement. They're pretty solid IMO for $49 and respond to EQ well.

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #29 of 35
I swapped pads on them and there is definitely an improvement. They're pretty solid IMO for $49 and respond to EQ well.

What pads did you go with?

I’d LOVE to fit some HM5 pads somehow.

And yes, they respond very well to EQ.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #30 of 35
I have mine for more than a year now, and modifications really helps for it to sound good

What mods have you done so far?

I tried taping off all of the driver vents to reduce the bass, but it didn’t do anything. The driver has a plastic cover over the magnet, so I guess I’ll have to cut the cover off so I can see what it looks like behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back