Archgon Delicato Over Ear Hi-Res Headphones - Impressions
May 25, 2018 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

hifi80sman

Headphoneus Supremus
Just picked these up at Amazon on a whim, and wow, pretty darn impressed. These things sound like a better version of the Sony MDR-1A. I find myself reaching for these cans more than any of the other dozen or so I have. The sound is so well textured throughout the entire frequency range and is just so addicting to listen to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079P5BSSQ/

Here's my breif review on Amazon:
Absolutely spectacular. I have the Sony MDR-1A and these match all the qualities of that AND have a better mid-range. VERY transparent mid-range with rich detail, and in fact, are the best closed headphones I own currently, which I compared all in wired mode over my LG G6 International Quad DAC Version & iPhone 7 Plus over dB MAGIX AC3 AMP/DAC (MDR-1A, B&W P7 Wireless, V-MODA Crossfade Wireless, Sennheiser HD 598 Cs).

Without going into ridiculous detail, all frequency ranges are reproduced very nicely, from sub-bass, bass, mids, and highs, they are all super sweet and just like candy to the ears. I literally had a sugar high by consuming no sugar.

Build quality is great, especially for the price. Fabrication quality is top-notch, which is to say the adjustment sliders each have a consistent click & resistance, each ear cup rotates smoothly, and metal headband & metal accents are all smooth with a quality finish. Ear pads and headband pad are all GENUINE MEMORY FOAM, so much so, it smells like a memory foam pillow (people must think I'm crazy for sniffing my headphones). Attach a boom mic, and these are perfect for long gaming sessions.

These cost $74 at the time of purchase, which is absolutely insane for what you get. This is a headphone that literally sounds better than many $300-$400 closed back headphones, period.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 35
What parts are plastic? hinges, yokes, headband, or cups?

It looks like at least all of the critical parts are metal. But nowadays you never know because they can make the plastic look like metal.

May 26, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 35
Some questions:

Could you could compare them in more detail to some of the other closed cans you mentioned? How's the quality of the sub-bass on them?

From the pictures, it looks like the silver band around the cups might be micro-perforated... is that the case, and do you think that is for acoustic venting or just a decorative flourish? Any sense of how much they attenuate ambient sound for the listener/leak sound to those nearby?

What are the ear pad dimensions (outer diameter, inner diameter)? Are the ear pads replaceable?

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 35
What parts are plastic? hinges, yokes, headband, or cups?

It looks like at least all of the critical parts are metal. But nowadays you never know because they can make the plastic look like metal.
The following areas are metal:
- Headband adjustment sliders; I assume the headband itself is also metal.
- The "L" arm extending on each side that attaches to and rotates on a metal hinge. NOTE: The "C" piece that connects the ear cups to the hinge is is plastic.
- The mesh screen around the ear cups.
- The bronze metal decorative piece.

Everything else is plastic. I will say, and only time can confirm, but it appears the way it stretches out does not produce much stress on the plastic parts, rather, most of the resistance when expanding the headphones (to fit over one's head) is concentrated on the metal "L" arm that rests & rotates on the metal hinge.

May 26, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 35
Some questions:

Could you could compare them in more detail to some of the other closed cans you mentioned? How's the quality of the sub-bass on them?

From the pictures, it looks like the silver band around the cups might be micro-perforated... is that the case, and do you think that is for acoustic venting or just a decorative flourish? Any sense of how much they attenuate ambient sound for the listener/leak sound to those nearby?

What are the ear pad dimensions (outer diameter, inner diameter)? Are the ear pads replaceable?
Sub-bass is great. Compared with my Sony MDR-1A, they go a bit deeper and are cleaner. Bass hits are also harder, yet remain firm and defined. The MDR-1A can sound a bit bloated and monotone with some tracks.

I think the silver mesh band around the ear cups is for acoustic venting, but sound leak is on par with the MDR-1A, which is to say at medium volume (50%) they can be heard by others nearby in a quiet room. I usually listen at 20% to 40%, so it's not an issue for me. If you're in a coffee shop with ambient noise, you should be fine. If you have the MDR-1A or a similar closed headphone, these will fit the bill in environments you could use those in.

Round ear cups
3 1/2 inch diameter (outside measurements)
2 1/16 inch diameter (inside measurements)
15/16 inch depth

Ear cups are replaceable, rest on a plastic ring, and secured by a twist & lock mechanism. The pads are glued on to the plastic ring, however, you can always remove the pads and adhere your own ear pads. The ear pads they come with are fantastic and made of a high-grade memory foam (similar to a memory foam pillow).

IMG_1675.jpg

May 26, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 35
Titanium plated drivers. Nice. Titanium drivers usually have deep sub bass extension as well as bright and sparkly treble.

The only diaphragm material I like better is graphene.

I would be interested in finding out more about that perforated stuff too. If they are truly open on the sides (vs just decorative), that would be awesome.

BTW the "C" pieces are referred to as yokes.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 35
Titanium plated drivers. Nice. Titanium drivers usually have deep sub bass extension as well as bright and sparkly treble.

The only diaphragm material I like better is graphene.

I would be interested in finding out more about that perforated stuff too. If they are truly open on the sides (vs just decorative), that would be awesome.

BTW the "C" pieces are referred to as yokes.
LOL, thanks.

Jun 21, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 35
I just picked up a pair of these due to your review (hifi80sman).
Playing through my V30 they are on the warm side as noted and at first I was worried about the highs not having the sparkle to them .
I put them down and let them burn just for about 2 hours ,picked them back up and they are breaking in for sure , they may require a bit more of burn in.
I do like the quality of the build ,my only concern is the size of the pads may be a wee bit to small for me Ill hopefully get a listening session in for a good amount of time and see for sure .

For under the $100 category you cant go wrong .

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #10 of 35
I just picked up a pair of these due to your review (hifi80sman).
Playing through my V30 they are on the warm side as noted and at first I was worried about the highs not having the sparkle to them .
I put them down and let them burn just for about 2 hours ,picked them back up and they are breaking in for sure , they may require a bit more of burn in.
I do like the quality of the build ,my only concern is the size of the pads may be a wee bit to small for me Ill hopefully get a listening session in for a good amount of time and see for sure .

For under the $100 category you cant go wrong .
Yeah, for $74, it's a pretty sweet find. Hopefully they work out for you! They EQ well, so sky's the limit!

Jul 16, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 35
Yeah, for $74, it's a pretty sweet find. Hopefully they work out for you! They EQ well, so sky's the limit!
hello there... I am a brand newbie on Head-Fi and I wondered if I could get the following crazy question 'out of the way' before anything else! I'm located in NZ which is not only crap for shipping costs but many times, the seller does not even ship to here! It seems I've formed a raging desire to acquire a pair of these Archgons, but can only get 'em shipped via eBay for about 250 clams... My question, which I do hope does not seem impertinent, is to ask if you know of any 'tradition' here on Head-Fi whereby persons located in the US make the initial purchase then ship it on to those down under? Being paid of course by the recipient for everything? By bank transfer I guess? I wrote to 'Seatech' the seller who sells the cans on Amazon for $74, but they never even reply...

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #12 of 35
People outside US could look for leplus headphones. Those appear to be same as archgon headphones. Closed back version is called rigel and open is called betelgeuse.

Also if my ability to understand Google translate is to be trusted leplus is very well regarded and was a big commercial succes in Japan.

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 35
People outside US could look for leplus headphones. Those appear to be same as archgon headphones. Closed back version is called rigel and open is called betelgeuse.

Also if my ability to understand Google translate is to be trusted leplus is very well regarded and was a big commercial succes in Japan.
Good to know, thankyou! But upon looking, I see prices for these Le Plus Rigels are as much as four times higher than the one offered on Amazon (by Seatech) for the "Archgon" version... It feels great to have actually formed a definite desire for a particular headphone at last, but awful because its beyond my budget !

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #14 of 35
It feels great to have actually formed a definite desire for a particular headphone at last, but awful because its beyond my budget !
If you are really determined don't give up yet. It seems there are a lot of rebrands available. Unfortunately I found none that are affordable outside Japan. Still with all the the rebrands available you might just find one for a good price. So far I've found the following:

Nagaoka p901:
https://www.yodobashi.com/product/100000001003649072/

AudioComm HP-H1000N

https://www.yodobashi.com/product/100000001003760234/

Stayer Azhh1-sv
https://www.amazon.co.jp/STAYER-Hi-Res対応ヘッドホン密閉型-HR-1-シルバー-AZHH1-SV/dp/B075ZVQ6R3

Also the origin of the headphones is called"dn-914055". Maybe you can google up more rebrands with this information.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #15 of 35
YAY! Good old Yodobashi! I wandered around the 4th (headphones) floor of those huge stores as one in a thoroughgoing daze, aisle after aisle after aisle of simply *countless* cans & IEMS (ever seen pictures? I took quite a few) and ended up buying but a packet of tips! (Which was presented to me with the utmost decorum incluuuding a little receptacle for the tips I had removed from my Tennmaks to try these new 'uns!).. Anyhoo, as it turned out the solution to acquiring Amazon's $74 Archgons turned out to be absurdly simple - all I did was sign on for a free trail with *MyUS*, who give you a US address (in Florida, natch) for Amazon (or whichever US store) to get your purchased items shipped to, then THEY ship 'em on to you down under! Unfortunately, of course, by the time conversion rates kick in, the 'phones cost NZD117 and the shipping NZD54! Ahhhhhh well.... I'm SURE it will all be worth it ... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back