Arcam musicBOOST for iPhone 6
Nov 6, 2015 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

god-bluff

Headphoneus Supremus
Nov 6, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 50
Thank you for making my life easier was just about to start this thread and you've beat me to it.

Here's another link with more info: http://gadgetynews.com/arcam-musicboost-improves-your-iphones-audio-and-battery-life/

Footnotes for the MusicBOOST

Basically it's a combined battery pack, DAC and headphone amplifier built especially for the iPhone 6 and 6S.

Built to make all iPhone audio sound better with support for FLAC, WAV files etc using 3rd party apps. Will be quite versatile with its driving capabilities ranging from earphones to those tricky to drive cans.

Recharged via a bundled microUSB cable which will pass the power on to the phone too! 

Should go on sale early December with a RRP of £120 no word yet on bit rate sampling but will update when I get anymore information. Should have a review posted within a few weeks of December when the unit arrives. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 50
I'll be interested to see if this is any good. Shame the form is only a partial case.

Surprised that, despite it already being available, there're no reviews yet (to my knowledge).

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 50
  I'll be interested to see if this is any good. Shame the form is only a partial case.

Surprised that, despite it already being available, there're no reviews yet (to my knowledge).

Review sample on it's way will post it in the upcoming week if I get the time, I don't want to rush it as I like to spend some time with the product first. 

Some main things to look forward to:

Upgraded sound
Three times the output power of an iPhone 
Doubles the iPhone's battery life 
Up to 120 hours of music play when iPhone is in Airplane mode 
Dac chip used PCM1502 Texas Instruments 

So far looking good on paper will add more information and detail in my review! 

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 50
  Review sample on it's way will post it in the upcoming week if I get the time, I don't want to rush it as I like to spend some time with the product first. 

Some main things to look forward to:

Upgraded sound
Three times the output power of an iPhone 
Doubles the iPhone's battery life 
Up to 120 hours of music play when iPhone is in Airplane mode 
Dac chip used PCM1502 Texas Instruments 

So far looking good on paper will add more information and detail in my review! 

Great - Look fwd to your review. There're lots of 'previews' - but no-one seems to've heard it.

I'm not particularly a fan of Arcam's house sound - always seems a bit too cosy to me - but given there doesn't seem to be any similar devices (that aren't strap-on external dac/amps) about, I'm intrigued.

I'm hoping the concept of this takes off  & we'll see some competitors chime in with some alternatives, 

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #6 of 50

Great - Look fwd to your review. There're lots of 'previews' - but no-one seems to've heard it.

I'm not particularly a fan of Arcam's house sound - always seems a bit too cosy to me - but given there doesn't seem to be any similar devices (that aren't strap-on external dac/amps) about, I'm intrigued.

I'm hoping the concept of this takes off  & we'll see some competitors chime in with some alternatives, 

I know it's annoying as I have been trying to find a little more information, before my full review is posted I will post some initial impressions I believe the unit will be arrive Monday, so by Monday night I'll update the thread with at least one post. 

I know what you mean about Arcam's house sound but I know with the DAC chip there using it should hopefully deviate away from that traditionally sit by the fire type of sound. The idea that I can double my battery life, listen to music, drive some decent over ears and enjoy an upgrade in sound quality without adding too much bulk is just a huge positive for myself! 

Let's see if it's well implemented I could take off but if not I'm skeptical! Centerance tried a Kickstarter campaign a while back with not much success as people didn't feel there was a demand for it or maybe due to lack of marketing. The product still was made but I'm not sure there was a lot of hype surrounding it. Personally it's a product I would/will invest in if done right, simply for the fact I still admittingly use my iPhone on the go when not using my beautifully wonderful AR-M2.

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 50
Sounds like you'll be looking to it for the same reasons as me - a convenient, compact, battery-saving, sound-upgrading alternative when not carrying your main dap... That's got to be a popular concept surely?

What's the AR-M2 like?... That's another product that caught my interest, but that doesn't seem to've been widely reviewed.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 50
  Sounds like you'll be looking to it for the same reasons as me - a convenient, compact, battery-saving, sound-upgrading alternative when not carrying your main dap... That's got to be a popular concept surely?

What's the AR-M2 like?... That's another product that caught my interest, but that doesn't seem to've been widely reviewed.

Ha surely you would think so but we are still on the verge of really bridging the gap between high quality and a marginal improvement when it comes to that kind of battery-saving sound-upgrading alternative,

The AR-M2 is still the best DAP I have tried in fact check out the thread someone has posted his impressions and this is a person who has tried out multiply high end DAPs so it really counts for something. My review is also up in the review section. I'm serious even the AK380 can't do what the AR-M2 can all in one not saying it isn't brilliant it is, but the power the AR-M2 offers plus all the additional features and sound quality still make it my first recommendation. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #9 of 50
Update have the unit! Sounds typical Arcam warm, but still detailed not massive night and day audio boost but different. Likes warmer headphones and earphones surprisingly. Not sure about power output? As a battery pack great first day I've listen to music through my iPhone all day and had a good amount of battery life at the end! 

Will update with more when the review is ready but give it some time as I have a very busy few weeks ahead. Any questions please ask I'll do my best to answer or find out the answer. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 50
Any further thoughts @dnun8086 ahead of your review?

A little patience and I might even have the review up later tonight. I am at work so it's kind of hard to get the time to post at the moment. Any specifics I can try an answer before the review is up? 

Edit review has just gone up! Still want to add a bit when I get time but the basics are there hope it helps. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/arcam-musicboost/reviews/14837

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 50
Just got my musicboost through the post. Not massive in volume boost but a bigger, punchier and far more three dimensional sound than the stock headphone socket. Drives my KRK headphones nicely which sound miserable and limp running off the iPhone. Shure 425s are great too, the musicboost doesn't dampen the subdued top of these IEMs at all.
As a battery pack the verdict is not so great. It looks like you get just about one full charge from it, and if you do a bit of listening this sucks up power. It looks like the Texas Instruments dac and burr brown opamp driven headphone stage are a bit power hungry.
However as an upgrade of the built in output it's a worthwhile purchase, the battery booster is a nice extra too.

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #13 of 50
Just got my musicboost through the post. Not massive in volume boost but a bigger, punchier and far more three dimensional sound than the stock headphone socket. Drives my KRK headphones nicely which sound miserable and limp running off the iPhone. Shure 425s are great too, the musicboost doesn't dampen the subdued top of these IEMs at all.
As a battery pack the verdict is not so great. It looks like you get just about one full charge from it, and if you do a bit of listening this sucks up power. It looks like the Texas Instruments dac and burr brown opamp driven headphone stage are a bit power hungry.
However as an upgrade of the built in output it's a worthwhile purchase, the battery booster is a nice extra too.

Have you tried playing 24 bit music through a third party app?

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #15 of 50
Hello, My Music boost will hopefully arrive tomorrow, will let you know how it handles my D-7000, HD650 and LCD 2 cans. Fingers and toes crossed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back