Arcam equipment - watch out, Australians
Nov 13, 2002 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aeberbach

Headphoneus Supremus
Some of you may know I am very impressed with my Arcam equipment. So much so that I bought two AVR100 receivers, one for the living room and one for the computer room. That left the A22 integrated amplifier unused, so I took it home last May and gave it to my father.

Once installed in Melbourne the amplifier worked for several hours and then unexpectedly turned off. It went to the Australian authorized service partner, Tivoli Hi-Fi and was shipped to Sydney for repair under warranty. Three months later it was ready to collect. It was installed, worked for one or two minutes, and shut down again.

At that point the wiring in the house was suspect. Tivoli's recommended consultant came in, tested the wiring, and found it to be fine. So it was off to Tivoli with the amplifier for repair once again. After close to another three months it has come back again after "repair", not working at all, and they have obviously dropped it in the process - bent and scratched the front panel.

Whether there is going to be any satisfaction at the end of all this I don't know. Dad just wants a working amp with a mint front panel, the way it was. Watch this space but please consider carefully your expectations of service and support before laying out any money for this very nice equipment. I would be surprised if you did not expect better.

Adam Eberbach

Nov 26, 2002 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 8
After going direct to the importer for Arcam in Australia, Warren Stolmack, we have both a new A22 amp and a new service location in Melbourne. I'm happy about this because I didn't want to have to dump my Arcam gear before leaving the USA. I may even buy more
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 8
Adam,

I would HIGHLY reco that you check out some of their CDPs before heading back!!! Man, these things are awesome sounding and built quite well!!

Nov 27, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
You should check my profile :)

As a wise man once said, I only open my mouth long enough to stick the other foot in it!!!

I also own an CD23 and MAN is that thing good!! How do you like yours compared to anything else you've tried before?? I just upgraded my Cambridge Audio to this unit and am amazed at just how much better it really is!!! Can't wait to hook it up to an appropriately outfitted headphone amp and cans!!! But that will have to wait until early December!!!!
frown.gif

Nov 27, 2002 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 8
I can't say much about comparisons because I haven't really tried anything that stands up to comparison since buying it, or if I have (like at the head-fi meet) I couldn't compare directly due to time elapsed or other factors. The fact that I haven't seriously thought about buying anything else or even trying anything else tells me I have something pretty good!

Nov 28, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 8
I concur. When I had the Cambridge Audio I kept thinking how much better it could sound if only....

Now all I keep thinking is, I'm crazy for spending so much money, but I am loving the sounds this thing puts out, and upgrading is not even remotely a thought!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back