Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Jul 27, 2010 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Coltrane

1000+ Head-Fier
No thread for this yet? Its quite the record, prepare for TONS of hype. Its crazy good, and way better than Neon Bible.

Also, from their website:

"[size=small]So for the new album, we had each of the 16 tracks mastered to a 12 inch lacquer and then transferred back to digital format so that the CD and digital version of the record sound just like the vinyl."[/size]

[size=small]So much for the loudness wars.[/size]

[size=small]Other thoughts so far?[/size]

Jul 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 46
Isn't that a totally needless step, just master it well in the first place? I'll have to check this out, I like (but haven't really listened to thoroughly) the other albums.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 46
ignoring the hype as well as the backlash that comes with it, this is an awesome record IMO.

Quote:
"[size=small]So for the new album, we had each of the 16 tracks mastered to a 12 inch lacquer and then transferred back to digital format so that the CD and digital version of the record sound just like the vinyl."[/size]

[size=small]So much for the loudness wars.[/size]

the lossless digital came with my vinyl preorder. i don't know if their line of logic makes sense to me. i feel like even if 'theoretically' the CD is the same as the vinyl, however it 'sounds' depends on your DAC. the digital copy has some glare/sibilance through my uDAC in comparison to listening to the vinyl on my turntable. if that made any sense... its still not any type of monumental/hindering difference.

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 46
had it for about a week. One of the local sellers put it out early- ahem......

I like it, It's a solid album. 
so far i think it's actually in 3rd place

I've come to an opinion that Funeral is the overall stronger album compared to Neon Bible though Neon bible has their two best songs, Keep the car running and My body is a cage.

it will be interesting to revisit this 6 months out. My opinion of funeral was stronger, neon bible dropped

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 46
I am  absolutely loving this album. I think that "Ocean Of Noise" from "Neon Bible" is my favorite Arcade Fire song. "Haiti" from "Funeral" would be my second favorite Arcade Fire Song. However, "The Suburbs," at this point is my favorite Arcade Fire album to listen to straight through form beginning to end. I love the song "Rococo." Of course, all of this is subject to change with time. "The Suburbs" is impressive. I'll have to look back at my list of favorite albums for 2010, but this may be in first place so far.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 46
There are many great songs on this album. So far my favorite would be Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains). City With No Children would be my second and is probably the most infectious song Arcade Fire has written. It's pure, sweet A.M. pop, well maybe We Used to Wait is that one. Then there is Half Light II (No Celebration), Suburban War., Rococo, Month of May, which reminds me of a Bowie song...etc.

Content wise, one quibble I have is subject matter. Maybe I'm just older, but Suburbia is such a common trope. Really I couldn't care less to listen about manicured lawns, restless schoolyards, and kids that need to see darkness ever again. I swear this stuff has inspired more music than the ghetto.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 46
I'm enjoying the album so far.  It hasn't blown me away or anything.  Funeral blew me away.  Neon Bible was an initial disappointment, but I've fallen in love with the string of songs Intervention, Black Wave / Bad Vibrations, Ocean of Noise, The Well and the Lighthouse, and (Antichrist Television Blues), tracks 4-8.  It's pretty much all I listen to by the Arcade Fire now (Funeral is sort of boring for me now).  The Suburbs is pretty cool so far... but it doesn't hold my attention all that well.  I think time will tell.

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 46
i think it brings many people back to their childhood (especially obviously people who grew up in 'the suburbs'). depending on the person, that can be a good thing, bad thing, or they may not even 'relate' because their childhood had different settings.

Quote:
manicured lawns, restless schoolyards, and kids that need to see darkness ever again. I swear this stuff has inspired more music than the ghetto.

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #14 of 46
I've had "The Suburbs" for a couple of days now and am through about four listens. I like it, but it hasn't entirely sunk in yet. I loved "Funeral" from the first listen, but didn't enjoy "Neon Bible" at all on first listen. I put "Neon Bible" away and went back to it. With more listens, I gradually warmed up and really liked it.

"The Suburbs" reminds me of several albums that slipped through the first few listens without registering - nothing I love and nothing I hate. However, after a number of listens, they sink a hook and the whole thing makes sense. I think that might happen here and I hope it does.

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 46
Suburbs is better than Neon Bible. It surprised me how much I immediately liked it after the first listen. It's such an enjoyable album. You kind of forget that an album can do that after years of making effort to listen through other difficult, but great albums. Nice to just pop it in and have it make sense.

Can't wait till they play the Hollywood Bowl!!!!!
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back