Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Jan 26, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:
Am gonna buy this tonight, listened to 2 tracks on youtube yesterday evening & thought this is definitely worth buying.

The tracks I listened to were: we used to wait & city with no children.  Looking forward to listening to it from start to finish tonight.

It gets better. ;P  It's a pretty good record.  I'm sure you'll like the rest.  Maybe you'll check out their older stuff after, you might like it

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #33 of 46

Quote:
I AM LISTENING TO IT AT WORK NOW, AND YES IT IS GROWING ON ME.

The Sprawl II is my favorite song on the album. It has a really strong start, a meh middle and a strong finish. 

4/5 human centipedes on the Logan scale.

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #35 of 46
thought this album started off really strong, but could have been edited a bit. i taught my dog to lay down to the word rococo because of this album :)

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #38 of 46

Quote:
Are you saying you don't like slower songs?

in general no, but with Arcade Fire, maybe.

for the record, the songs i like off it are:

The Suburbs
Ready to Start
Modern Man
Rococo
City With No Children
Suburban War
We Used to Wait (cool "video" for anyone who has checked it out)

i just found myself skipping a lot of songs when it came to the last half of the album.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #39 of 46
Quote:
in general no, but with Arcade Fire, maybe.

for the record, the songs i like off it are:

The Suburbs
Ready to Start
Modern Man
Rococo
City With No Children
Suburban War
We Used to Wait (cool "video" for anyone who has checked it out)

i just found myself skipping a lot of songs when it came to the last half of the album.

I like the slow songs equally as well.  The seem closer to the old Arcade Fire songs to me (not the same but closer than the other songs).  I have no problem listening to the two records four sides end to end [and it's not because I'm lazy, I do the same thing with the FLAC album].  Curious have you ever heard the older songs?

What's your other tastes in music like?  It's probably because it's different than your norm?

P.S. Maybe it's just because I've been a fan of Arcade Fire since Funeral.

P.P.S.  That's a good video, I also like some of the other music videos they have for songs on that album.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #40 of 46
Wow the recording quality on this CD is terrible. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #41 of 46
It was a transfer from the record.

Update: [CD] Master -> individual vinyl records (I think individual for all songs) -> Ripped and Pressed on CD.
[LP] Master -> LP

So everything sounds like the record, but the the CD has a bit more sibilance in a few areas.  I think the CD rip may be more compressed as well.

Better then some of their indie stuff.  Levels are little better, but both are compressed.

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #42 of 46

Quote:
I like the slow songs equally as well.  The seem closer to the old Arcade Fire songs to me (not the same but closer than the other songs).  I have no problem listening to the two records four sides end to end [and it's not because I'm lazy, I do the same thing with the FLAC album].  Curious have you ever heard the older songs?

What's your other tastes in music like?  It's probably because it's different than your norm?

P.S. Maybe it's just because I've been a fan of Arcade Fire since Funeral.

P.P.S.  That's a good video, I also like some of the other music videos they have for songs on that album.

i gave Neon Bible an honest listen but can't say i found it memorable beyond the title track (indeed, a "slow" one i liked). i'm very familiar with Funeral and do like a lot of the tracks off it, but again mostly the faster ones like Neighborhood #2 (Laika), Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) and Rebellion (Lies)... yes, i had to look those up.

i don't think it's due to the fact that "it's different to my norm" in all due respect. i listen to a really wide variety of stuff, from elliott smith and neil young to deerhoof and bjork... currently listening to radiohead's new album (my all time favourite band).

maybe i'll give Funeral a listen from start to finish on my walk home from work one day, cheers.

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #43 of 46
For anyone still reading on here: You have to check this band out live!
Just saw them in Bilbao, Spain at the Guggenheim museum last week and they were amazing!

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #44 of 46

Quote:
For anyone still reading on here: You have to check this band out live!
Just saw them in Bilbao, Spain at the Guggenheim museum last week and they were amazing!

Definitely. I have seen them twice and they are without a doubt my favorite live band.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #45 of 46
I found the hi-hats to sound a bit tinny on most of the songs in the album.  I'm not a fan of the general loudness as well, but otherwise I really enjoyed it-- The Suburbs, We Used To Wait, the Half Lights and Rococo being some of the more interesting ones to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back