April Music Eximus DP-1
Aug 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #631 of 803
Quote:
I was also interested in the Ayre at one point-but USB only at that price? Thanks but no thanks. I consider my dac the hub of my audio/entertainment rigs-need more inputs than they usually have, in fact.

-Daniel

I'm with you all the way.  For that price, it should carry all the digital output short of HDMI.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #632 of 803
Quote:

Sorry, wish I was in Europe.  I'm in the US (California to be exact).  Good luck with the sale though....doesn't sound like something you guys should sell so easily if it's that nice.....you guys got upgraditis bad hah....this is why I try not to hang out around here too much on head fi.  =)

I'm moving to California, too.

Does anyone know if I can switch the Eximus to 115V easily or do I have to send it to April Music so that they do the change?
That's the main reason I want to sell it before I move, actually.

The other reason is that I still feel the NFB-27 is the superior DAC, or at least a DAC with a presentation that matches my preference & setup.
I know I still didn't figure out how to make it sound its best (based on the fact that I don't get the max from the NFB-27 either, compared to what it used to sound like in the past... computer HIFI be damned 
mad.gif
).

Only when I solve all my issues I can compare both, but I suspect (and hope for my wallet) I won't be able to.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #633 of 803
Quote:

I'm moving to California, too.

Does anyone know if I can switch the Eximus to 115V easily or do I have to send it to April Music so that they do the change?
That's the main reason I want to sell it before I move, actually.

The other reason is that I still feel the NFB-27 is the superior DAC, or at least a DAC with a presentation that matches my preference & setup.
I know I still didn't figure out how to make it sound its best (based on the fact that I don't get the max from the NFB-27 either, compared to what it used to sound like in the past... computer HIFI be damned 
mad.gif
).

Only when I solve all my issues I can compare both, but I suspect (and hope for my wallet) I won't be able to.

It can be done but is very expensive.  I looked into this earlier.

"[size=10pt]
April Music do not have voltage change service and The customer changed voltage personally will loose the right of warranty immediately.[/size]
[size=10pt]
[size=10pt]I do not recommend to buy April product from overseas because you may lost your warranty and must pay for the service.  [/size][size=10pt]Sorry, We have only fixed voltage to each country and not suggest to switch the power supply circuit.  Also, the Voltage changing service cost is not listed in our price list and cost is estimated more then U$ 600 plus shipping to Korea.[/size][/size]

[size=10pt]
[size=10pt]Thanks for your understanding.[/size][/size]

[size=10pt]
[size=10pt]Best regards"[/size][/size]

[size=10pt]
 [/size]

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #634 of 803
Quote:
I believe Metrum Octave does not come with balanced output, so that could be an issue if you intend to run balanced to GS-X and HD800. You probably have to get Metrum Hex in that case if you still want the Metrum sound, but that's at a higher price range. Another thing, though maybe trivial to you, is that both DP-1 and GS-X does not come with remote, so if you are a couch potato like me, then the inconvenience is that your couch set up needs to be near to the amp for you to adjust the volume easily. Another dac I was considering before I bought the DP-1 is Ayre QB-9 DSD, but I just could not find enough reviews/ views to justify buying it at a higher price than DP-1.

Good advice, thanks for that.  I would of assumed any DAC in these price ranges would have balanced output but I guess I was assuming too much.  Here in the US, a new DP1 vs a Metreum Hex is actually not that much different.  I am teetering between the two now.....what's really got me sold on the Hex is the way it handles usb power and the rave reviews it gets without the use of usb->spdif bridges.  I have some time to decide anyhow while I sell off some stuff to get the new equipment heh.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #635 of 803
Quote:

Good advice, thanks for that.  I would of assumed any DAC in these price ranges would have balanced output but I guess I was assuming too much.  Here in the US, a new DP1 vs a Metreum Hex is actually not that much different.  I am teetering between the two now.....what's really got me sold on the Hex is the way it handles usb power and the rave reviews it gets without the use of usb->spdif bridges.  I have some time to decide anyhow while I sell off some stuff to get the new equipment heh.

Go HEX if you don't need the headphone amp / preamp functionality, IMO.

From my short - and probably sub-optimal - experience with it (~1.5 months), there's nothing in the DP1 that cannot be found in other DACs.
Sure, it has a nice lit up presentation that illuminate the individual performers, but it can be too much with already airy headphones like the HE-5LE and HE-6 (the latter also has the same kind of "illumination" in it, even).
Technically, I find the NFB-27 to be the better DAC overall, giving a ("much") bigger picture of the scene, more authority (what a slam! again...) and a blacker background.

On the other hand, the Metrum DAC have a sense of flow (could it be timing?) that very few (if any) other DAC can match. It sound effortless and is never aggressive to the ear.
The Quad was also quite fast and I suspect the HEX can match the NFB-27 in terms of authority/slam. The sounds were "floating" in the air and seemed to come out from nowhere right into the ears without effort. This is the opposite of the Sabre-based NFB-27 which clearly show you where the instruments are.
I'm sure the Quad wasn't nearly as refined as the HEX, so...  

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #636 of 803
Quote:

Go HEX if you don't need the headphone amp / preamp functionality, IMO.

From my short - and probably sub-optimal - experience with it (~1.5 months), there's nothing in the DP1 that cannot be found in other DACs.

I'm sure you forget about, the nice engraved leaves on top of the chassis, the kinda unique volume knob 
bigsmile_face.gif
. Can't find that in a 100k dac even =p.

Kidding aside, the way it presents soundstage is quite special though. I always think of the DP1 as a "bigger" Octave and "smaller" dp777.

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #637 of 803
I rarely listen to my DP1 with headphones, but through speakers its one of the best Dacs I have heard. Blows the Concero Away. Of course its 5x the price... Im not crazy about any of the Sabre Dacs Ive heard... I know Im lumping them because of the chip and people say oh you can make them sound like anything, but the Sabre Dacs do have a house sound. The Concero is a good Dac dont get me wrong.. but the Dp1 is uber musical..

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #638 of 803
I'm sure you forget about, the nice engraved leaves on top of the chassis, the kinda unique volume knob 
bigsmile_face.gif

. Can't find that in a 100k dac even =p.

Kidding aside, the way it presents soundstage is quite special though. I always think of the DP1 as a "bigger" Octave and "smaller" dp777.

Compared to the Quad, it certainly is. But the HEX is (said to be) another beast entirely.

I have a quteHD + LPSU on its way. Let's see which one I find the most musical...

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #639 of 803
Hello thinking about picking this up for the DAC/Pramp.. how do you think it'll match with the Hypex N-Core400 for the amp? Are there any amps that matches well with the DP-1? No headphones, just dedicated 2 channel speaker set up. I also read that its a little bit harsh at the top.. does this go away with break-in?

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #640 of 803
Harsh, DP-1, what?? Break in is pretty quick for a dac with the Eximus imo-maybe 50 hours and the sound doesn't change after that ime. Never sounded harsh to me, and that's one of a number of reasons I really enjoyed it with the HD800. FWIW.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back