apply EQ during foobar2000 convert or use DAP EQ
Feb 20, 2017 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

macky112

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I am not sure which sub forum to post this question, so if I posted at the wrong place, please feel free to move it accordingly.

So apply EQ during foobar2000 convert and use no EQ on DAP, or not apply EQ during foobar2000 convert and use DAP EQ?

basically, I want to know if there is any SQ difference between the two methods?

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 7
There *might* be some differences because how the EQ is implemented, however a far more important question is whether your DAP can do parametric EQing or not. Sometimes it is hard or straight impossible to get the EQ profile you want with an X band graphic EQ.

If I understand correctly, you don't want to do real time EQing with foobar, maybe that opens up possibilities that normally can't be done in real time however I'm not too sure about that one.

Anyways, if you want to add DSP to your playback chain, using a computer is much more flexible than using a DAP, I think there's not a single thing that can't be done with a computer but can be done with a DAP.

Unfortunately, I can't point you to specific softwares or explain the differences between the different type of EQs, I just downloaded EasyQ for foobar and called it a day.
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 7
my apologize for not being more specific.

yes I want to do PEQ only, and the DAP will be a Zishan DSD (which has built-in PEQ i believe)

so my question is, should  I just apply PEQ setting during my foobar2000 convert (from flac to flac just to apply DSP), and not touch PEQ on Zishan at all, or dont convert my existing flacs and rely on Zishan's built-in PEQ?

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 7
Well, using the built in PEQ is more convenient than converting your library and load that to the DAP, that's sure. If the makers of the DAP took their time and built a PEQ in it, I don't have any reason to assume it's not up to the task.

I've personally used a few different software EQs on my PC and I didn't find an obvious difference between them. Didn't have any of that "night and day difference" moment but I didn't do any comparison with quick switching either.

If you don't have time to mess around with stuff and don't want to have some fun, I would suggest to use the DAP's built in EQ (of course after making sure you like the way its EQ sounds). You could convert some of your tunes with foobar and have the untouched version of the songs on the same SD card and make a comparison for yourself.

If you are more courious than that/didn't like the DAP's EQ, you could look up different type of EQs (I'm aware of minimum phase EQ and linear phase EQ) and download a bunch of them to see if you prefer one over the others.

I'm sorry but I think there is no definitive answer to your question.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 7
 just pick whatever is more practical. if I could apply the EQ I like on my DAPs instead of making special µSDs for each IEM, I would. but my DAPs only have a few sliders for EQ and it's rarely enough to really fine tune the signature the way I prefer.

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 7

basically, I want to know if there is any SQ difference between the two methods?

Something which came as a bit of a surprise to many in the pro audio community about 15 or so years ago was when it was proved that there were no differences between EQs! Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs) all have built-in PEQs, typically 6 band (LPF, HPF plus 4 parametric bands). However, there were a number of third party PEQs available, at varying additional cost. Comparing the built-in PEQs between different DAWs and between the third party ones, they all nulled, IE. No difference whatsoever between any of them! The only caveat to this is with regard to functionality; a third party PEQ with say 9 bands will cause differences compared to a typical 6 band PEQ, providing of course that we actually use more than 6 bands with the third party PEQ.

I assume that by now, this same scenario is the case in consumer equipment. If your DAP provides the functionality (IE. The number and configurability of bands) you require, then there will be no SQ difference between the two methods. It therefore just comes down to convenience, whether it's more convenient to convert your library/playlists or just create a permanent setting in your DAP.

G

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #7 of 7
Foobar's stock EQ is of pretty poor quality. Use the add-on GEQ 30-band one at least. And yes you better use Foobar's EQ because it is generally more flexible than most DAPs have. There may also be battery economy because of no calculations during playback are needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back