Apple's new iPod Hi-Fi
Mar 2, 2006 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Jazz1

1000+ Head-Fier
I was cruising through the local Apple Store over lunch today and spied this new iPod speaker system. I'm an Apple fanboy, so of course I had to stop and give it a listen. I'm afraid I can't say much about it, other than my first impression was that it sounded a little bass boomy. Problem is that it was so noisy in the store with other music systems going I really could not give it a fair trial. I also ran out of time, so for all I know someone had messed with the iPod EQ and perhaps the bass was too high.

I think this has an optical in.

Has anyone been able to give this a good listen? Heck it is expensive enough that for many of of headhone lovers a new headphone, or headphone amp. might be a better way to spend our money.

http://www.apple.com/ipodhifi/

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 24
Big ugly white brick. There is a size limit to how cool a shiny white thing can look.

I really hate that they are using the word "Hi-Fi" to name this thing.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 24
I also resent the Hi-Fi label. I know apple usually puts a little more quality into their designs, but I'm having a hard time believing this is much more than some decent drivers in a plastic box that's been thrice immersed in a vat of clever marketing hype.

Mar 4, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 24
If Steve Jobs is giving up his Wilson Watt Puppies for these, then they must be good! That 5 inch subwoofer must give incredible bass, I bet these speakers are even betta than the Linkwitz Orions!

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 24
i think hi-fi in apple refers to the old radios from back in the day, it has nothing to do with "high fidelity" in the modern context. but yea, i agree with the above: apple outdid the white thing. i'll listen to it later, i'm sure to see them poping up all over campus.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
i think hi-fi in apple refers to the old radios from back in the day,

Ahh, the Brionvega is making a comeback!

Regards,

L.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelconnor
I also resent the Hi-Fi label. I know apple usually puts a little more quality into their designs, but I'm having a hard time believing this is much more than some decent drivers in a plastic box that's been thrice immersed in a vat of clever marketing hype.

Well, it's worked for Bose over the years, why not Apple?
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Well, it's worked for Bose over the years, why not Apple?
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

I think we're being a bit selective here. What mainstream audio company on earth has not bandied about "hi-fi" to describe mediocre products?

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly
I think we're being a bit selective here. What mainstream audio company on earth has not bandied about "hi-fi" to describe mediocre products?

I was talking about clever marketing hype. There is no arguing the financial success of Bose and Apple.

Now their sound quality however.....

-Ed

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly

finally...it is disappointing to hear all of these idiotic whining about the use of the word "hi-fi". Grow up dudes!

And by the way ... the original post in the thread was looking for impressions from listening to the thing rather than opinions on its name !!!

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 24
i've auditioned these speakers and they are horrible! i expected better for $350, but looks like all that money went into the electronics. in the speaker world, they like the ipod earbuds of speakers. i could give an in-depth review of their deficiencies, but i don't think anyone here would buy them anyway so i'll leave it at that. anyhow, if they just used better parts i bet it would sound a whole lot better. there's nothing wrong with the concept or design other than the crappy parts.

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 24
Why hasn't someone opened these up yet so that we can look inside?

This is killing me! I really want to know what's inside!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back