Jan 6, 2013 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Nicholasheadfi2

100+ Head-Fier
Hello headfi people of the world

just recently managed to install rockbox for the first time on my
ipod classic and untill now i never realized just how bad the sound
quality was untill i heard what the rockbox is capable of doing
all i can say is wow it is amazing in every sence of the word could
not be happier with the sq of this amazing piece of software .
to all the writers of rockbox i take my hat of to you all .
amazing job all round .
apple you should be ashamed of yourselves ......really
its imbarasing .
dont understand why apple wont employ similar firmware
on there products, dont you guys think that there fan base
will explode if they had this
do you think people write to apple to give
them any feedback? why dont they make it customisable .
so we can decide what we want? bloody crazy ............
darthsmile.gif

rockbox just a little unstable but really who cares
it sounds amazing..........

ipod classic 160g 6gen
shure se535
fiio e6 amp
line out .......

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 29
Most users want a simple UI and aren't interested in high-end audio. Apple designed it so that the user doesn't have to really think about anything at all. Lucky for us, the folks at RB recognized the shortcomings some time ago and got to work. I agree - Rockbox is BRILLIANT. I wish they would tackle the Cowon J3...the battery life is incredible and it has such potential with a better UI...but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 29
It's a shame really, a company has the biggest potential and $$$ to create the best audiophile player in the world yet show the least interest, because they know there wouldn't be a market in it for them, not in the numbers they'd want to sell. So they just make half ass'd players to meet the mainstream consumer market. :smile:

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:
It's a shame really, a company has the biggest potential and $$$ to create the best audiophile player in the world yet show the least interest, because they know there wouldn't be a market in it for them, not in the numbers they'd want to sell. So they just make half ass'd players to meet the mainstream consumer market.
smile.gif

We're a niche market and barely on their radar. If they really wanted to, they could probably convince the average consumer that they reinvented the wheel with a "hi-rez itunes format" via their slick advertising campaigns, but they've probably already conducted enough focus groups to determine that it'd be more trouble than it's worth.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 29
Saying that most people want an easy user interface one that is easy to use and don't have to think about anything is quite true for most people but proberbly don't know or have not been introduced to what they can have according to sound quality and the freedom to adjust to their liking .
I introduced rock box to lots of people since
And these people were loyal apple fans and would not be swayed by anything not apple
First reaction from them after listening to rockbox was omg :scream:so I believe apple could easily sway people's opinions it's not rocket science for anyone to use these configurations on their iPods .

Thanks guys

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:
It's a shame really, a company has the biggest potential and $$$ to create the best audiophile player in the world yet show the least interest, because they know there wouldn't be a market in it for them, not in the numbers they'd want to sell. So they just make half ass'd players to meet the mainstream consumer market.
smile.gif

+1 Spot on!

Apple didn't become the most profitable company in the world by making an audiophile device, nor firmware.

Most audiophile hate iTunes, and most people in this forum hate it too, but the way it integrates every iDevices into one is just amazing

Why people buy Apple product even though it is expensive? because they "just work" and don't go faulty/error randomly - I recently stuff up my MBP, then I just made appointment with a genius, he said "can you leave it here for 3 hours sir while our technician at the back will fix it for you?", lunch, coffee, and 3 hours later, it was fixed, and I didn't have to pay anything, zero, zilch, gratis!!

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 29
I wish something like that existed for my original Zune 30. I still use it but had I known about rockbox it might have made me get an ipod lol. Zune only supports up to 320 bit. Though I do like the zune interface better.

Cheers!

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 29
Apple really has the user-friendly thing going for them, but a lot of people do bitch about itunes. People seem to get all hot and bothered with the ability to sync their multitude of idevices, which I guess is a draw, too. I don't think Apple will try to convince the world that hi-fi audio matters until they know it will move their stock price up, which may be never.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
Apple really has the user-friendly thing going for them, but a lot of people do bitch about itunes. People seem to get all hot and bothered with the ability to sync their multitude of idevices, which I guess is a draw, too. I don't think Apple will try to convince the world that hi-fi audio matters until they know it will move their stock price up, which may be never.

When that happens, Beats by Dr Dre will release a triple-BA audiophile IEM...

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #10 of 29
I like everything about Apple except audio quality & iTunes but recently the new iTunes 11.0.1 really works for me. It's less sluggish. However, I have to remove a few of the iTunes features to do so like movies, iCloud, videos & books. All those are not in the list of my iTunes.

The day Beats introduce balanced armatures based headphones, the day balanced armatures will get really popular IF Beats introduce it on their website.

djvkool, what was your problem with your iDevice that took only 3 hours to fix it? XD my brother's iPhone 4S on/off button on the top broke & took Apple 1 momths for it to get fixed...

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 29
That's not doing anything to explain *how* it improves sound quality...
Quote:
does not improve the sound quality ? what ? yes it does in more ways than you can imagine
anyone who says it does not either has cotton wool in there ears or just tone deaf .........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back