Apple to discontinue iPod Classic & iPod Shuffle??
Oct 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #121 of 144

Quote:
Interesting - I guess I misunderstood the slide that was with the caption - "So that's iPod and the iPod lineup"

If they are going to keep carrying it (and hopefully supporting it), but just not update it, I'm ok with that for a while.

first apple show without steve jobs ever?

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #122 of 144
Oct 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #123 of 144
This means nothing -- Apple's announcement pretty much involved software upgrades to the current iPhone and nothing else in the product mix.  So today was essentially a non-announcement.  One slight hardware upgrade of note is a "new and improved" iPhone antenna.  I would not read into this one way or the other at this time.  Very small ding to the stock price, so the real-world isn't considering this a big deal either.

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #124 of 144
Was it? Since he's been back maybe (1997 ish, post NeXT), though I thought I remembered one a while back when he was out ill... 

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #125 of 144

Quote:
This means nothing -- Apple's announcement pretty much involved software upgrades to the current iPhone and nothing else in the product mix.  So today was essentially a non-announcement.  One slight hardware upgrade of note is a "new and improved" iPhone antenna.  I would not read into this one way or the other at this time.  Very small ding to the stock price, so the real-world isn't considering this a big deal either.

I don't know if I'd go as far as a non-announcement -- the new chipsets in the iPhone should make a noticeable difference -- but I'd agree that today's announcement was underwhelming based upon the rumors and expectations. I was hoping for a 128GB Touch... oh well.

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #126 of 144

Quote:
I don't know if I'd go as far as a non-announcement -- the new chipsets in the iPhone should make a noticeable difference -- but I'd agree that today's announcement was underwhelming based upon the rumors and expectations. I was hoping for a 128GB Touch... oh well.

True about the dual core A5, but everyone was speculating about iPhone5 (thought to be a slam dunk) as well as other products. In the bigger picture, people expected much more than an upgrade to a single product -- hence, it really is a non-announcement.

This shouldn't be a surprise since the 3S was sandwiched in before the 4. After the initial disappointment, Apple has done incredible well with the 3S and I believe the same will happen with the 4GS.  New product for the holidays with minimal re-vamping of production facilities and a tangible performance upgrade over the current model.  Also very important is the fact that they will really drop the price on the 3S, thus drawing more first time customers which a large percentage of will, inevitably, upgrade later and move on within the Apple product/service infrastructure.

I am a long-time shareholder.  I plan on buying more on this dip.  The stock could easily go well north of $450-475 within 12-18 months even as things stand now.  iCloud and other product announcements will only help.  The announcement has no bearing whatsoever on iPods and other products -- to make assumptions otherwise would be foolish.

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #127 of 144
It's a tick-tock cycle. 3G, 3GS, 4, 3GS. Most people who bought iPhones did so on 18-24month contracts. Apple have good brand loyalty. Thus, people with 3GS will make up more of the market for 4S purchases than 4 owners who may still have many months left to go. No need for complete dock/case redesigns after just a year. Also bar the exterior design everything about it is improved, and Siri is pretty nifty. As a 3GS owner I look forward to getting it, and am in a position where I can just buy the handset from Apple and use it with a cheap pay monthly plan I already have, then sell it and get the next iPhone in 2012, which will be where a big redesign appears no doubt. If the 4S had been in a new shell people would be wetting their pants, but it appears a lot of nerds are fickle and are upset they've kept the design the same (despite Macs looking the same every year for ages).

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #128 of 144
It's a tick-tock cycle. 3G, 3GS, 4, 3GS. Most people who bought iPhones did so on 18-24month contracts. Apple have good brand loyalty. Thus, people with 3GS will make up more of the market for 4S purchases than 4 owners who may still have many months left to go. No need for complete dock/case redesigns after just a year. Also bar the exterior design everything about it is improved, and Siri is pretty nifty. As a 3GS owner I look forward to getting it, and am in a position where I can just buy the handset from Apple and use it with a cheap pay monthly plan I already have, then sell it and get the next iPhone in 2012, which will be where a big redesign appears no doubt. If the 4S had been in a new shell people would be wetting their pants, but it appears a lot of nerds are fickle and are upset they've kept the design the same (despite Macs looking the same every year for ages).

Agree completely. I love that apple have left the design alone for many reasons but an important one being the environmental impact of new designs.

Imagine how many old cases get thrown out once the new model comes along. Being made mainly in the far east we can't be sure of what many of those countries environmental stances are. I bet the recycling is not as it is in places like the US, Canada or Europe. Least that has been my personal experience when I have visited the far east where a lot of this stuff is made.

Also it saves the consumer money not having to go out and buy new cases for their iPhone .One chap I see on youtube has made a career out of reviewing the dam things and has hundreds laying about.

As for the other products. I have a 2nd gen touch and am in no hurry to replace that as the features on the new one do not interest me that much. I am glad they have left the classic in production, looks like there has been a price reduction which is nice. Sure it would have been nice to have it go to 240G but I have all my tunes on mine lossless and I am just about reaching capacity now so I am fine with 160G

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #130 of 144

Quote:
first apple show without steve jobs ever?

Too bad Tim Cook didn't come out with a black turtleneck!
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #131 of 144
Loving the buying advice at Mac Rumors:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_Classic

'Updates Soon !' - hope the boss doesnt plan to 'update' the staff phone listing anytime soon.  
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back