Apple releases new "EarPods"
Sep 12, 2012 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sniperwill0

Head-Fier
I woke up today and was greeted with the new iPhone 5 promo on Apple's website. I scrolled down the page reading about the new features when I hit the section on Apple's newly designed stock earphones (called EarPods now). Some thoughts...

1. Probably one of the worst designs I've ever seen in terms of aesthetics...these things are ugly!
2. I have not yet tried them, but I'm predicting that the sound quality of these new phones will rival that of the old ones because of the new design. 
3. I went to the product page for these new phones (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD827/apple-earpods-with-remote-and-mic) and read this in the intro:

"The audio quality is so superior, they rival high-end headphones that cost hundreds of dollars more."

What companies will do to sell their products....

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 16
Someone already posted this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/627101/earpods-apples-newest-entry-into-iem

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 16
I woke up today and was greeted with the new iPhone 5 promo on Apple's website. I scrolled down the page reading about the new features when I hit the section on Apple's newly designed stock earphones (called EarPods now). Some thoughts...

1. Probably one of the worst designs I've ever seen in terms of aesthetics...these things are ugly!
2. I have not yet tried them, but I'm predicting that the sound quality of these new phones will rival that of the old ones because of the new design. 
3. I went to the product page for these new phones (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD827/apple-earpods-with-remote-and-mic) and read this in the intro:

"The audio quality is so superior, they rival high-end headphones that cost hundreds of dollars more."

Yes, Imagine the nerve...

They sound just like all of the other headphone producers.

The Gall, LOLz, Jim

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Can't say I disagree.  If the product in comparison are Beats.

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Actually, they go a little further than most, with their "they rival high-end headphones that cost hundreds of dollars more."

How about if we establish other products that they may be referencing?

Lets establish a baseline parameter first... Shall we?

Jim

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 16
I have a pair of $30 Superlux and the FX40, the original ibuds and a couple other price conscious IEM's I will compare against as well as at least 1 higher end IEM.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
I have a pair of $30 Superlux and the FX40, the original ibuds and a couple other price conscious IEM's I will compare against as well as at least 1 higher end IEM.

I look forward to that.

I would only ask that like products are compared, ie ear buds.

Thanks, Jim

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #11 of 16
Most of my Stuff are IEM's so they will have to be close enough, I did forget to mention the Sony EX38P and Bose IE2 though :)

As for regular ear buds, I am not a fan of that style so aside from the original iPhone buds which have never been used I don't have any.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Most of my Stuff are IEM's so they will have to be close enough, I did forget to mention the Sony EX38P and Bose IE2 though :)
As for regular ear buds, I am not a fan of that style so aside from the original iPhone buds which have never been used I don't have any.

I understand...

Jim

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
How about if we establish other products that they may be referencing?

Lets establish a baseline parameter first... Shall we?

You mean they wanted to say, "It's better than the crappiest products costing hundreds of dollars more!"?

Let's be realistic here. That's not what they meant.

*shrug*

Anyway, we'll know soon enough what they're really worth.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #14 of 16
You mean they wanted to say, "It's better than the crappiest products costing hundreds of dollars more!"?

Let's be realistic here. That's not what they meant.

*shrug*

Anyway, we'll know soon enough what they're really worth.

No, That's not what I meant to say...

Let me be clear. As an Audiophile Forum. We should be able to find comparable earbuds.

And, Be Objective in our findings.

Just my thoughts, Jim

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
No, That's not what I meant to say...
Let me be clear. As an Audiophile Forum. We should be able to find comparable earbuds.
And, Be Objective in our findings.
Just my thoughts, Jim

I agree with that. I don't dismiss the EarPods out of hand, either; after all, I enjoyed my ADDIEM, until they broke, and Apple has a lot of engineering muscle, and money to feed that muscle, so they've got a better chance than most to produce something worthwhile. It's just that the marketing claim is so outrageous as to make me raise an eyebrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back