Apple Music HiFi
May 17, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 98
There's a nugget info right at the end.

"Due to the large file sizes and bandwidth needed for Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless Audio, subscribers will need to opt in to the experience. Hi-Res Lossless also requires external equipment, such as a USB digital-to-analog converter (DAC)."

May 17, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 98
Legit surprised they're adding lossless quality at no additional charge! Not sure I have any reason to continue with Tidal now.

May 17, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 98
So no lossless bluetooth codec, its like Apple saying

"you audiophile guys have been cribbing over apple music for not having lossless..so here it is...now don't bug me"

I'm very pleased to see the new capabilities. Apple was clear in the announcement that apple hardware supports up to 24/48. Even lossless 16/44.1 is a big improvement over 256 AAC. Wonder if the android app will bypass SRC and allow high resolution on an Android DAP?

May 17, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 98
Legit surprised they're adding lossless quality at no additional charge! Not sure I have any reason to continue with Tidal now.
My family has Apple Music as part of the Apple One bundle, but I have a Tidal account separately for integration with Roon. I’d be happy to switch to Apple Music for everything now with lossless, but they’ll never integrate with Roon, so I’m probably still stuck :-/

May 17, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 98
My family has Apple Music as part of the Apple One bundle, but I have a Tidal account separately for integration with Roon. I’d be happy to switch to Apple Music for everything now with lossless, but they’ll never integrate with Roon, so I’m probably still stuck :-/
if only big players could work with Roon but as you said not gonna happen

May 17, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 98
Maybe there will be something announced with an open api for developers to use. Then it would be on Roon to up?

May 17, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 98
May 17, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #12 of 98

The large streaming services (Spotify, Apple...) won't open their APIs to Roon in a way that allows the metadata Roon needs to be collected. I doubt this will change as there is little to no value in the very small Roon user base to the mega streamers.

As a Roon user, I wish that wasn't the case.

May 17, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #13 of 98
May 17, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #14 of 98
are they going to launch this hi res service across globe or in selected market like Amazon?

May 17, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 98
Wondering what would be the best way (and the cheapest way) to stream apple music lossless via USB to DAC?
Apple TV has limitations via HDMI audio only. (According to my research)
Mac Mini is a hell of a expensive streamer only for this.

Can Windows Itunes app run Apple Music Lossless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back