Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jul 27, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #481 of 871
Anyone know of any decent streamers that support Apple Music lossless? I assume it needs to run Android or iOS? I really don't like the idea of using an iPad or Mac for streaming, would prefer either a dedicated powered streamer or some kind of android device that can be wirelessly charged while depleting the battery streaming.

I would assume that any Raspberry Pi could be a streamer for Apple Music Lossless via Airplay. If you also want Apple Music Hi-Resolution content, there are no solutions outside of using an iOS device with The Camera Connection Kit (CCK) or similar device (ddhifi I think makes one).

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #482 of 871
I would assume that any Raspberry Pi could be a streamer for Apple Music Lossless via Airplay. If you also want Apple Music Hi-Resolution content, there are no solutions outside of using an iOS device with The Camera Connection Kit (CCK) or similar device (ddhifi I think makes one).

Yeah currently Airplay and Airplay 2 devices support Apple Music. At current time only Airplay supports lossless 16/44. Airplay 2 with Apple Music is still aac 256k. This may change at some later point. The HomePods are currently the only devices that allow handoff where you don’t need your phone to continue to constantly stream. No talk of whether this tech will make it it other devices yet.

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #483 of 871
tried the old CCA adapter. can`t use it! too much noises and pops. do I need the new adapter?

or should it work with the old one? only tried with schiit gear.

looks like DRagonfly has same prob:

When DragonFly (Black, Red, Cobalt) is connected to an iOS device using Apple’s older Lightning to USB Camera Connection Kit, I can hear clicks and pops in the background of the music. What should I do? In some rare instances, the combination of an iOS device in conjunction with the standard CCK and DragonFly Black, Red, or Cobalt causes a clicking in the background of the music.

Neither we nor Apple have been able to determine why this is, but, in circumstances where this occurs, we’ve found that using Apple’s Lightning-to-USB 3 Camera Adapter resolves the problem. In addition, this connector offers improved audio performance over the smaller unit and provides the ability to charge the attached iOS device while listening to music.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #484 of 871
https://dribbble.com/shots/16116849-Apple-Music-on-Windows-11
e81e0a12a18ec0f3c90d3634efb80dc4.jpg

Now wouldn't that be quite a turn of events for us Windows users?

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #485 of 871
Jul 28, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #487 of 871
I think it’s more likely they enable these features through their web app than release any kind of Apple Music for Windows unfortunately. I guess it’s either too much effort considering the limited user base or they think Apple Music is a strong enough brand to make people want to switch from Windows to Mac.

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #488 of 871
Here are my thoughts on Apple Music vs. Tidal. I have had both services for a while, but before Apple released their HiRez I used Tidal most of the time. I have gone back and forth between the two testing different tracks and different types of music and I even included Audirvana with Tidal at times. Apple Music clearly sounds better to my ears (vs Tidal and Audirvana) and has a better selection of albums for what I listen to, which pains me, to be honest. The reason this is difficult is that the GUI and service of Tidal is preferable to me by leaps and bounds. K-NN (or whatever algorithm) Tidal uses provides me with better options for what I want to listen to. Right now I'm going to keep all my streaming services, and might even add Qobuz to the mix with the Audirvana free trial. In a perfect world, Tidal would offer me the missing albums (We Are the Others by Delain is a prime example) that I want to listen to and tweak their sound.

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #489 of 871
Probably not the only one but I'm a little confused. With an ipad or an iphone and the appropriate lightning to USB Camera adapter, will I get a bit-perfect feed with from music to an external dac? Is there a consensus?

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #490 of 871
Probably not the only one but I'm a little confused. With an ipad or an iphone and the appropriate lightning to USB Camera adapter, will I get a bit-perfect feed with from music to an external dac? Is there a consensus?
The old one don’t work

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #492 of 871

I'm definitely getting lossless and high resolution at the indicated bitrate on external DACs. Not sure how to verify that it's truly bitperfect.

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #493 of 871
The old phones or the old camera adapters? Can anyone confirm that Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter does support bit perfect transfer? Thank you!
Old Camera adapter

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #494 of 871
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/apple-musics-lossless-and-hi-res-mess-r1022/
Apple has a perfect copy of the album on its servers, the perfect copy starts, but then something changes in the stream that causes the music to not be bit perfect. I'm open to all input on what this could possibly be, but watermarking is my best educated guess for now.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...es-mess/page/11/?tab=comments#comment-1144347
Apple Music stream is 0.2dB lower in level than the original track I own, with an apparent application of dither after the level reduction. This accounts for why they are not a bit-perfect match. There is no other filtering or perceptual coding applied. The files are an extremely close match when reduced to about 23 bits.

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #495 of 871
I'm definitely getting lossless and high resolution at the indicated bitrate on external DACs. Not sure how to verify that it's truly bitperfect.
Edit:

I have both the original and the USB3 CCK adapters (genuine Apple). They are both working for me up to 192 kHz with an external DAC. I don't know of any higher rate tracks to test.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back