Apple Lightning Dongle
Feb 6, 2020 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

Harry Manback

500+ Head-Fier
This little dongle really pisses me off. I've spent way too much money in the past on amps and dacs only to find out that this little $9 marvel sounds at least AS good as anything else I've heard, and probably better. I wish I had found it sooner, but I guess I wouldn't appreciate just how good these sound. I don't know how they do it, but I like it.

If you use Apple products (and there is a USB-C version if you don't), you owe it to yourself to try one of these. Be prepared to get a little mad at yourself though!

FYI - I'm only speaking of the Apple branded one. I can't vouch for the myriad of other dongles.

Truth be told however, I wish they had put this tech into the phone itself and left the 3.5mm TRS jack. Unfortunately, marketing departments are a real thing, and they tend to take something good and make it worse for illogical reasons.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 106
I have an LGV30 which for anyone that hasn't used one, has a great DAC & is a brilliant device for music. I bought it specifically for music when out & about.

I have an iPhone & used the little dongle, it's not far off quality wise from the LG... Pretty amazing for $15.

Feb 11, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 106
In case you were wondering the removal of the headphone jack had nothing to do with marketing department, 99% related to increasing the water resistance of the iPhone. Too many people were dropping their iPhone into water.

I disagree. You can waterproof the jack. Apple did this to pump up sales of wireless Air Pods and Beats. To think otherwise is naive.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 106
I disagree. You can waterproof the jack. Apple did this to pump up sales of wireless Air Pods and Beats. To think otherwise is naive.

I would be happy to prove my statement is not "to think otherwise is naive" but based on facts from the engineering and design teams perspective, in hand with the evolution of new features. The sales of AirPods and Beats is minuscule compared to number of iPhones sold. One only needs to look at quarterly earning results to demonstrate how little of an impact these items play in the overall sales.

Feel free to provide examples of successful waterproofing of the 3.5mm jack in a mobile phone.

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 106
I would be happy to prove my statement is not "to think otherwise is naive" but based on facts from the engineering and design teams perspective, in hand with the evolution of new features. The sales of AirPods and Beats is minuscule compared to number of iPhones sold. One only needs to look at quarterly earning results to demonstrate how little of an impact these items play in the overall sales.

Feel free to provide examples of successful waterproofing of the 3.5mm jack in a mobile phone.

LG G8X ThinQ
Samsung Galaxy S10e

I'm not going to spend any more time on this. It's obviously possible.

Also: https://9to5mac.com/2020/01/15/60-million-airpods-sold-in-2019/

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 106

It's been around for years, but I'll give one example from last year since it's the phone I use (since it has nice audio from the jack).
"The LG V50 ThinQ 5G is rated IP68, using the Ingress Protection rating system. The dust rating is 6 (highest level of protection), and the water resistance rating is 8 (water-resistant up to 5 feet for up to 30 minutes). "
Apple removed the jack for wireless earphone sales, simple as that.

Feb 15, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 106
It's been around for years, but I'll give one example from last year since it's the phone I use (since it has nice audio from the jack).
"The LG V50 ThinQ 5G is rated IP68, using the Ingress Protection rating system. The dust rating is 6 (highest level of protection), and the water resistance rating is 8 (water-resistant up to 5 feet for up to 30 minutes). "
Apple removed the jack for wireless earphone sales, simple as that.

You all get so easily wound up over trivial stuff. It’s entertaining to hear from such design and UX experts about the reasoning behind a trillion dollar company’s decision process.

Do some basic research and will see how little money is made from the wireless earphones. Them go baco to articles related to the iPhone 7, amd you will find the reasons for the removal of the 3.5mm jack.

:clap::clap::clap:

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 106
Sounds great but output is too low. 0.5V for EU version seemed low so I got the 1V US version. No difference with IEM’s. I think the higher voltage kicks in with higher impedance headphones only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back