Apple iTunes downloads, help with ipod downloads at top quality lossless
Apr 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ruby2

New Head-Fier
Hi all.

I'm relatively new to digital head fi.

I have been using my iPhone 3/4/5 for a few years with some Sennheiser HD201's and decided to upgrade so I got a Fiio E9 and some Beyerdynamic DT1350's, now the bug has bitten and after getting a nice CMoy I've ordered more :-0
I'm now waiting for a Just Audio AHA-120, AKG K701's, Qables silvercab LOD and imod Ipod Gen5.

So whilst these items are made/despatched I'd like to find out how I go about making sure I have the best quality music on my ipod.
I currently have 85% of my music on iTunes and the rest from CD.

Could I get a bit of help in the quality of Apple Lossless?

Could someone explain how good/poor the Apple iTunes music is?

If I need to get a better quality for future purchase where do I get these from? CD? Download sites?

If I need to download, could you advise how I go about transferring the file from the download to my ipod?

Mant Thanks in advance for the help!

Ta

Richard

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 8
In blind testing AAC 256 VBR (which is the setting the iTunes store uses) is audibly transparent with lossless. You aren't going to hear any difference at all. It will just fill up your iPhone fast.

I have a very nice sound system and I use AAC 256 VBR for my entire music library. It is flawless.

Apr 30, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply Bigshot
So no need to worry about re-downloading my current iTunes library to try to achieve a better SQ?
For future purchases, would you recommend doing anything different than using iTunes?
What about the'mastered for iTunes' section is that a higher resolution?
Many thanks again
Richard

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 8
For an iPod, I'd stick with what you have. The only error in what Bigshot wrote is that lossy compressed files aren't "flawless" as data is removed, but it's a moot point.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 8
Correction: To human ears they are flawless. For bats... perhaps not.

May 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 8
Hi again chaps.

Hoping for a bit of help :-/

So.....now I've got my Just Audio AHA-120 and my modded Ipod.

It's been loaded with half a dozen albums that Justin thought I'd like to test it with and I have to admit it sounds amazing. I listen mainly to Jazz and the sound of the keys clacking on the clarinet and the air an saliva sounds eywwww lol. Wowzers.

So what's the problem I hear you ask?

Well, I've just loaded my own iTunes and CD library from iTunes on to my ipod and :frowning2: disappointment :frowning2:(

On my first listen to it with my own music I could tell something was amiss :-/
I just couldn't hear the same detail and found that I was turning up the volume to try to squeeze out the same level of detail :frowning2:
The CDs I had put on to iTunes are better to be fair, but none seem to be at the same level as the half a dozen albums that were on the ipod to test it.

So, can anyone tell me if it is :-
A, my iTunes library is not set at the correct quality?
B, I've transferred my music over to the ipod at the correct quality?
C, this is just how it is.
C.1 so I need to buy my music in a different way ie high quality download site/buy CD's etc

Please can someone advise me on the possible fault and give me (a computer illiterate) s walk through on how to sort it out.

Many Thanks in advance!

Ta

Richard

May 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 8
Oh, another bit of info.
I have noticed that I don't have the convert the higher bit rate down to 156kb and I have 1100 songs loaded on the ipod 80GB classic which includes about 8 or 10 in CD and the rest is iTunes and its got 64GB left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back