Apple introducing high definition audio playback in iOS 8...
May 13, 2014 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

findthomas

Head-Fier
"Apple is said to be introducing high definition audio playback in iOS 8 alongside new versions of its In-Ear Headphones and Lightning connector"...

"...Apple will announce high-fidelity iTunes music downloads..."

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/13/hd-audio-ios-8-new-in-ear-headphones-lightning/

Does anyone know what "high definition" here means...?

Thx.

May 13, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 18
Assuming Apple really does 24-bit music, does it mean that:

(a) I can cease considering other HD portable sources (just stick with my IOS devices);

(b) I'll need "upgrade" all my iTunes music (and pay more $);

(c) I won't be able to buy/import music (into my IOS device) from HD Tracks, Sony, and other hi-def music stores;

May 13, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 18
I find it wrong that 'we' have to pay more for upgrading out digital music when we bought it in the first place. I remember sometime in 2005 when I bought some tracks they were in 128kbps. After a couple of years apple gave me the option to upgrade to 256kbps for .10 cents (dont remember the exact price) per song. Of those songs which i purchased in 2005 and did not upgrade, i still get 128kbps when i download from the cloud. Thats just nonsense!

May 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 18
Well, Apple did pull-off the DRM-free version for iTunes, and people still bought it.  I'd love to see the statistics/numbers (or even just a percentage numbers) of people who buy the $0.99 vs the $1.29.

May 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 18
Very interested. Even though there's no real advantage of 24 bit and flac, CDs are typically different than their digital counterparts, and I'd like to play them.

I read some of the comments and there was some guy calling the apple in-ears "the best earphones" saying they're better than others 2x+ price. Hehe...

Also upgraded ligthning connector? What does that even mean?

May 13, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 18
Yes I'm very interested also.  If this news turns out to be accurate (we'll have to wait for WWDC conference in June), then it opens a whole lot of other interesting possibilities:

(a) Apple in-ears becomes the bottom-end "headphones", while the Apple/Beats brand becomes the high-end (regardless of audio quality).

(b) Larger storage needed (for 24bit files) in iDevices. (A refresh of the iPod Classic?);

(c) Larger iCloud music backup space;

Heck, maybe one day we'll even see Thunderbolt on an iDevice.

May 13, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 18
I hope they keep iTunes music drm free and offer flac format but given their history we'll be lucky to get hires files as ALAC without drm.  If they lock it all down to Apple products only that'll only alienate a lot more people.  I have no hopes their hardware can improve on the daps we already have.

May 17, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #9 of 18
Very interested. Even though there's no real advantage of 24 bit and flac, CDs are typically different than their digital counterparts, and I'd like to play them.

I read some of the comments and there was some guy calling the apple in-ears "the best earphones" saying they're better than others 2x+ price. Hehe...

Also upgraded ligthning connector? What does that even mean?
They're going to release a new Lightning-cable for existing MFi (Made for iDevices) to enable HD audio through the Lighning port on those products. Apple is going to release better earbuds because the current ones are not good enough. I hope they won't abuse the Lightning port to block HD audio capability from non-Apple earphones. I'm very interested in this upcoming iOS 8 and might give up my jailbreak to try multiple apps on-screen and 24-bit. Not sure though, we'll see.

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 18
With the iPhone 6 launched, does anyone know the latest on native HD audio playback?

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 18
IOS8 drops on the 12th, I'm sure we'll know by then.

And as for FLAC, there's an app call Flacplayer App that can handle those files.  And with the use of the CCK, you can even realize 24 bit audio.  At least when using your device as a trasport to another DAC.

But native hi-res would be wonderful...

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #14 of 18
yeah, Apple cease to be anti competitive and practice extreme vendor lockin.  I think not.  This picture from Mercedes F1 team sums Apple up perfectly imho...

you're welcome.

Dave

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #15 of 18
Well, there is amarket for pigs that can fly. Apple could bring the sauce (read: source) if they were not daft, but instead they acquired the Beats by Dre brand.

I have Golden Ears, but it is not by any means seamless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back