Apple IEM
Dec 23, 2008 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

busyx2

100+ Head-Fier
OK, I got it today. My first impression is not that great. The bass is thin, and the lower-midrange sucked out. With bass drums, there seem to have 'mechanical resonance' kind of chaffing sound.

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 25
Are these the new dual driver?

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 25
Apple really, I mean really needs to talk to someone about getting some decent iems/earbuds made and sell them with iPods for extra. That would be awesome.

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by busyx2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I got it today. My first impression is not that great. The bass is thin, and the lower-midrange sucked out. With bass drums, there seem to have 'mechanical resonance' kind of chaffing sound.

I experimented over the weekend with different tips for the ADDIEM. I tried Jays D-Jay and Shure silicone ones. The D-Jays are a perfect fit. The Shures you have to force them to fit but they will eventually go in and work pretty well.

The tips make a marked improvement in sound. I think the Apple tips are designed for comfort more than getting a good seal. I spent the most time A/Bing with the Shure and Apple tips. The shure tips work much better. The sound fills out more and mid range comes out a little more forward.

If you have access to different tips give that a shot.

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

It's amazing how opinions differ on these. Spad and I differed on soundstage issues, and now you and I differ on the bass and midrage. I thought the bass was the best thing about these IEMs, and that the mids were forward. Perhaps our reference IEMs made the difference. I compared these with the ER-6i mostly, but I didn't think that the ADDIEMs lost to the Denon C551s in the lower freqs. Meh.

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 25
it has to do most im sure with fit and tips. my ck10 which with certain tips are bass anaemic are bass farters with other tips. never ever should one judge an iem with tips that are not good. even ie8 and w3 will sound crap with improper fit.

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 25
Speaking of tips and IEMs, I have yet to meet an IEM with a cost of $50 or more that I didn't like to at least a mostly enjoyable degree after finding the right tips for it.

cool.gif
Right fit = Right sound
cool.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple really, I mean really needs to talk to someone about getting some decent iems/earbuds made and sell them with iPods for extra. That would be awesome.

nah..then the price of ipods would go up even more and i have a feeling that a bunch of us here would not use their iem's for too long even if they did get some decent ones

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 25
I meant for apple to offer a different package with the IEMs for general consumers who want better than stock sound quality. But it's okay, I would get rid of them just because they would be mug-me white.

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
considering he said IEM not earbud I assume he means the new two driver

Could be the old IEM ? hehe didnt particularly say new one thou. Wasnt sure.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Just sounds like a typical bad seal to me.

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's amazing how opinions differ on these. Spad and I differed on soundstage issues, and now you and I differ on the bass and midrage. I thought the bass was the best thing about these IEMs, and that the mids were forward. Perhaps our reference IEMs made the difference. I compared these with the ER-6i mostly, but I didn't think that the ADDIEMs lost to the Denon C551s in the lower freqs. Meh.

I guess this is actually fairly common, particularly with IEMs. Take a look at the Westone 3 threads for instance. Some can't stand them and some believe they're the ultimate and can be downright in-your-face about it. Actually, it's not just IEMs. I remember the same disparity among SA5K reviewers.

Personally, I still think the ADDIEM is a fine 'phone for the price. Swapping between it and the W3 reinforces that opinion. The W3 certainly doesn't sound fives times better. I have no plans to part with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back