Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Oct 29, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #676 of 779
X2 for me, in the Philippines as well. Bought the ADDIEM the day they came out in the States (full price, and they broke within months, but I hear that they've fixed that durability issue).

Would be great to be able to order them from here.

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #677 of 779
I found highs a bit too overwhelming...

Can anyone suggest me tips that fix that?

Interesting observation: ADDIEMS produce significantly more bass with iPod Nano 4G when compared to my DV7-2040US (both with EQ off) . What ,do you think, is the reason?

Nov 24, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #678 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAndre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found highs a bit too overwhelming...

Can anyone suggest me tips that fix that?

Interesting observation: ADDIEMS produce significantly more bass with iPod Nano 4G when compared to my DV7-2040US (both with EQ off) . What ,do you think, is the reason?

Try the Comply tips that fit the Phonak PFEs. They tame the highs a bit and give a bit more depth to the mids.

cheers

Nov 24, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #680 of 779
According to the specs on Apple's own web page:

Apple - iPod - In-Ear Headphones

They are using two-way balanced-armature drivers. I replaced the original eartips with Comply T-140 eartips (medium size) and got excellent results in terms of sound quality.
smile_phones.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #681 of 779
After switching between ES7 and ADDIEMS I realized that ADDIEMS have very weird bass which has good response under 40hz but terrible mid bass.
So I decided to use the following EQ setting. This setting dramatically improved listening experience
dt880smile.png

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #682 of 779
New Apple In-Ear Headphones With Remote And Mic - MA85 - eBay (item 270493882887 end time Dec-07-09 22:07:55 PST)

Reading this thread long enough to get one myself, from the link above.

This is genuine (with filter), looks unused. In case someone's looking for a deal like this...

After listening to these for a few hours, I'm impressed especially at $36. Enough, punchy bass, clear mids and highs, good enough soundstage for me. Thinking about sticking to these for IEMs, using PK1 as my main phones unless that triple fi order goes through.

When I first put these in my ears, I was disappointed but then noticed that my iPhone volume was at 80-90% level. That can't be right I thought, and after trying different tips looking for a right fit, I realized that these need to be really shoved inside your canal to get the right fit. Now my volume is at around 60% level, where it is supposed to be and it sounds much better.

So far the tips has not fallen off yet. I would like to try how Comply T-140 make these better, but I'm having a hard time justifying spending $15 on tips, and not sure what size would fit me. I'm using big silicon tips...

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #685 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadwarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To anwer the question are Apple buds nthe most underated? No.

Who is talking about "buds"? But thanks for the most helpful post!

Maybe you are confused about the different Apple Products. Not surprising, I get confused about different Bose products.
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #686 of 779
I picked up a set of these today while I was at the Apple Store exchanging my iPhone since I needed a new set of earphones and these seemed to get overall decent reviews. But I think they are going back as soon as I can get back down to that store.

I noticed the static discharge that I had seen mentioned right away. I was sometimes getting shocked repeatedly from them. Not a pleasant thing at all. The bass is anemic, to say the least, although I could live with that. The major reason I plan to return them is because they have a major problem with sibilance. I can't listen to them for very long without it being quite fatiguing. The Sony hybrid tips which I scavenged from a cheap set of Sony earphones I have improved the bass but made the sibilance simply unbearable. As in Sony MDR-V6 or Beyerdynamic DT770-250 levels of sibilance.

The design and comfort of them is great. Not to mention the remote is quite handy. Too bad they just didn't work for me soundwise.

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #687 of 779
Oh well, your ears must be very sensitive to BA phones, because sibilant is not how the majority of ADDIEM owners describe them. And I would think static shocks would be the main reason to return them. Have seen 1-2 reports of that, but not experienced it myself. But you are right, they didn't work for you. Try the Nuforce phones made for the iPhone/Touch, cost less and get good reviews.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #688 of 779
I decided to try one more thing with the ADDIEMs. I had an old set of the black soft silicone tips for the Shure E2c that I had tried earlier but they were for larger stalks than the ADDIEM so wouldn't stay on. Since I could not use the smallest Sony hybrid tips I cut the tube off of them and stuck that inside the tube for the Shure tips.

They stay on the ADDIEMs quite well now. I have to insert them a little deeper than I would like to, almost as far as foam tips, but they changed the sound quite nicely. They keep the drivers farther out of the ear canal than the stock tips do and it tames the sibilance quite well (I am admittedly overly sensitive to sibilance) and improves the bass dramatically. I'm getting about the bass I remember out of my Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro after I finally got a good fit with those. I know that BA earphones don't have the slam of those with dynamic drivers, so I wasn't expecting that. I don't remember exactly how my UEs compare to the ADDIEMs but I think this is about as close as I'm going to get for under $100.

So these went from almost total disappointments to being quite decent. I think these tips may even solve the shocking issue, which I'll find out when I venture out in the cold with them again. It's rather funny that I have to use earpieces that likely haven't been manufactured in years to make these things work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back