Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Jul 31, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #586 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are easier to drive with my equipment, strange. I personally think the separation of the ADDIEM is a little to overdone and takes away from my listening at times, where the PFE sounded just about right.

Well I need nearly 8-9 vol bars for my macbook to get the same volume as 5vol bar with the PFEs....
Does that possibly mean that my ADDIEMs are faulty? I don't think they are fake... i hope not at least!

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #587 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the separation on the ADDIEM to be a hit or miss. It does a really good job pulling the vocals away from the bassline or rhythm, putting the vocals dead center and keeping the bass far from the center. Essentially I feel sounds disparate in frequency are correspondingly separate in the ADDIEM's presentation, whereas sounds vying for a limited space tends to mess things up.

The Killer's "Mr. Brightside" has a high guitar somewhat lost at times, and System of a Down's "Chop Suey" has a piano part at the end that I really enjoy that doesn't pull away from the mix well with the ADDIEM (both 320kbps LAME MP3s). My IE 8 handled these two examples quite well and the noted parts were very clearly separated from the rest of the instruments, but the ADDIEM seems to get somewhat congested when there's a lot going on in a given range.

Then again I listen to tragically low volume.. about 10% from my 3GS.

I listen to the ADDIEM at about 50-60% on my iPhone 3G. Separation is a little better but not by much. But I agree that the ADDIEM performs quite badly at low volume level. Sounds constrained. Only when played past around the 45% mark does it starts to sound good.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #590 of 779
I tried these out for a week, with both the stock tips and Sony Hybrids, and compared them to a pair of Ety hf2. As a percussionist, I could quickly identify the enhanced sparkle of the ADDIEM from its high freq hump, and it really made the mids seem less discernable. For example, snare drums over the hf2 sounded faithful, full of information on where the drum was struck, and with what type of force. With the ADDIEM, I was left with more snare sizzle instead of drum cavity resonance.

Lower freqs with both were tight and accurate, though the ADDIEM could better capture the rumbling roar of concert bass drums.

It's just me, but it seems that the stock tips work better than the hybrids, especially if the ADDIEMs are worn deep. I expected the Sonys to feel tackier, but they weren't. Oh well, I'll just add them to my drawer of shame :'c

Aug 2, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #592 of 779
Those aren't the same ones they are talking about, those are the original ones.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #594 of 779
I'm pleasantly surprised by these IEMs. I picked up a pair from 7dime on eBay, $39 shipped. I opened up the envelope today to find a pair of the hard plug ADDIEMs.

I'm still toying around with which size tips to get the best fit. Right now I think the small tips are working rather well. I might try the Sony hybrids though.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #595 of 779
I would like to ask request a favor here. Could any kind soul here please help me buy one of these from eBay and have it ship them to me.
I would be extremely grateful. Please PM me, pretty please. Thank you very much.

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #596 of 779
I'm the latest ADDIEM convert. I originally ordered the new SoundMagic PL-50 from Focalprice, but they canceled my order.

Paid $30 shipped on Ebay from Gamernation. They appear genuine (and if they're not, they sound fantastic for fakes). The IEMs themselves are in great condition, but the carrying is a bit scratched up. I have trouble getting a good seal with silicone tips (from all manufacturers), so I'm currently using Shure olives with them.

The only other pair of IEMs I currently own are Shure SCL4. In the past I've owned: Soundmagic PL30, Nuforce NE-7m, Etymotic er6i.

The ADDIEM sound most similar to the Etymotic er6i, but with more bass. I would definitely recommend them to er6 fans. The NE-7m still has a good amount more bass than the ADDIEM, so bassheads should definitely choose that. The ADDIEM sound better in every other area though. I definitely prefer them over the NE-7m.

I'm a bit surprised by all the volume complaints. I use them around 30% volume on iPhone.

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #597 of 779
The easiest way to identify fake ADDIEM is from the look of the screw-on metal mesh. Most fake do not have an actual screw-on metal mesh (cause is it hard to make). Once you remove the mesh, you can see a small tube facing outward at the bottom surrounded by a black rubber ring, that is the balanced armature transducer. If you didn't see both, your is fake.

The remote is the key as well, fake doesn't have the +/mid/- remote. If they do have remote, it usually one have one click in the middle.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #598 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The easiest way to identify fake ADDIEM is from the look of the screw-on metal mesh. Most fake do not have an actual screw-on metal mesh (cause is it hard to make). Once you remove the mesh, you can see a small tube facing outward at the bottom surrounded by a black rubber ring, that is the balanced armature transducer. If you didn't see both, your is fake.

The remote is the key as well, fake doesn't have the +/mid/- remote. If they do have remote, it usually one have one click in the middle.

Yup, first thing I checked was remote functions with my 3GS as well as screwing off the metal mesh. gamernation89 sells legit ADDIEMs.

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #599 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And while the sound sig of the ADDIEM is not for everyone, they perform much better with either the Sony tips, or my favorite with the ADDIEM, the Shure olives.

How do you put Shure olives over it? Do you take out the plastic tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back