Apple EarPods are excellent
Nov 7, 2014 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Hairspray

100+ Head-Fier
Just received my iPhone 6.
The Earpods are fantastic.
I did a short test (source: iPhone 6, which is really excellent).
Apple Earpods
vs.
Sennheiser 25 and Nocs NS400
Seriously, those are very-very good...
Pretty neutral (on the warm side though), very airy, huge soundstage, excellent imaging, nice warm (but not recessed) mids, good bass presence (kinda lazy mid-bass though),
But seriously: $29,90?
I hate to say it, but the Apple EarPods are just amazing (not only for the price).

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 19
Not a fan of them at all and think they're overrated.

Definitely have a large soundstage and sound pretty airy, but to me and for MY ears they sound too thin and have no warmth at all really.
Strangely they do have decent mid-bass, but the low bass rolls off very early.

To me, the thin sound means they're coloring my music too much and they're not accurate. They remind me more of like a smoother sounding (in the treble) AD700 with a mid-bass hump!

They don't seem loose in my ears, but maybe it's a poor seal i'm not aware of.

I even tried them with my desktop and portable amps and straight from several portable players.

I'll try them later again tonight. I think I used them for a total of 3 hours and really disliked them.

Wonder if I can mod them somehow for a better seal.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 19
I actually really rate them.  And the last thing I'd describe them as is thin (personally for me they're sometimes too warm).  Mind you mine are modded with these (http://earskinz.com/) and some foam covers.  Result is supreme comfort, nice fit, and semi decent seal.

Sorry about photo - taken on phone (couldn't be bothered getting DSLR out for one pic)

I hardly wear mine - but still keep them.  They are excellent for phone calls, great for exercise if you need to be aware of things around you, and good for general audio as well if it's not appropriate to be using sealed IEMs.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 19

Definitely have a large soundstage and sound pretty airy, but to me and for MY ears they sound too thin and have no warmth at all really.

To me, the thin sound means they're coloring my music too much and they're not accurate. They remind me more of like a smoother sounding (in the treble) AD700 with a mid-bass hump!

I even tried them with my desktop and portable amps and straight from several portable players.

I'll try them later again tonight. I think I used them for a total of 3 hours and really disliked them.

I didn't explain myself properly or you missed the point.
Those aren't the best earbuds or earpods. I totally agree.
But: "The low bass rolls off very early"?
You do know that those little suckers come free with every iDevice.
Even at $29.90, I would call them budget kings.
IMO, they just suffer from Apple's bad audio devices reputation and, ironically, from their very low price.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 19
From my time with them I really liked them and I think that if the sound from them was thin, then they couldn’t fit properly in the person’s ears. it has been an issue with some folks where the EarPod just doesn’t sit right. 

if anything, i found them a bit warm and muffled compared to some lower-midrange IEMs.

Those may be more clear and resolving but sound thinner without that “feel good” bass warmth that you get with the EarPods.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 19

I'm in this camp right here, thin and roll off sub bass. I have 4 of them sitting in the cabinet. If anyone wants to buy them for 25 bucks each holla :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Then again, I'm also the type that don't like the ksc75 either and that's with mod or not, I find thoses thin too. Maybe the earpod doesn't fit me well are something, but I guess if you in a pinch they are nice as they are free with iPhone purchase (although I prefer Apple to give me a $30 discount to not include them ☺️).

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 19
I think they give a very good cost to performance ratio :)

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #11 of 19
For a bit more you could get some vsonic vsd 3s :)

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 19
I must have broken hearing. The female vocal sounds outright unnatural and honky, can't seems to get it sound right.

I agree with tdockweiler there, thin and lifeless. Free bundle, Sony does some rather decent IEMs that doesn't sound as thin. For the money, might as well save up a tiny bit more for something vastly better.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #14 of 19
  I must have broken hearing. The female vocal sounds outright unnatural and honky, can't seems to get it sound right.

I agree with tdockweiler there, thin and lifeless. Free bundle, Sony does some rather decent IEMs that doesn't sound as thin. For the money, might as well save up a tiny bit more for something vastly better.

See my post above ......

Earskinz and foam covers - becomes a very different proposition. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back