Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Oct 30, 2019 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 979

angelom

Headphoneus Supremus
Today I receiving the AirPods Pro (I calling 'app' below).

Here is my opinion:

The sound quality of the app I think is engaging very much, many more than old airpods, but is very correct, isn't Diffuse field curve sound but is more like the Harman target curve sound (Harman curve is I think using in the very very good b&w p7 wireless of 3 years ago and the new sennheiser m3 wireless headphones that I liking very much the sound).

The anc of the app for this type of earphones is very incredible. The anc of the headphones h8, h9i, h9 3 gen, momentum 3 wireless, or mw65 isn't good like the app and is normal the sound is getting worse if the anc is on. The anc in the app isn't affect the sound. This is fantastic news, The new b&w px7 is cost 400 euros and is little better the anc but the sound of this headphone is not good in my opinion (bad mids and treble) and isn't good sound like excellent p7 wireless.

When the anc is on the app isn't pick up the wind noise like the px7 and the mw65 or the new beats solo pro.

The controls in the tube of each earphone of the app (play/pause, next/previous song, anc on/off and the ambient mode) is responding very very good and is very intuitive.

The ambient mode is excellent, is natural sound almost is good like sennheiser true wirelsss earphones. This is important for me.

The microphones are very good for the telephone calls, isn't bad or mediocre like the many anc headphones I trying in last 3 years. The bose nc700 is best in the telephone quality but the app isn't far and app is earphone not a headphone.

App is coming with wiireless charging case. This is great.

App is having small case. This I'm impressed for this type of earphone, is only little more big than old airpods.

The bluetooth distance is excellent and isn't cutting connection. This very important!

I never having problems with the old airpods but the new app is fitting better and good news is the isn't necessary putting the earphones deep inside the ears like the normal iems. This is too very good for the comfort.

The app having big vents and is allowing the air and sound coming in from outside and the feeling isn't like pressure of normal iems. This is big surprise for me and I liking this very much.

if you having iPhone, it is more features that making this excellent earphones more excellent.

I don't thinking the AirPods Pro is so excellent in the various ways when I ordering. I beginning this thread because this is really really great product.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 979
Nice post and review. How is the ear fit with the new design?

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 979
Nice post and review. How is the ear fit with the new design?

The fitting is very good, is feeling more secure than old airpods.

But I mentioning now something important I not mentioning before. Is very important trying the different tips because in the iPhone settings test for the tips and the seal is saying I have good seal with the medium and large tips. I always using medium tips with iems in many years but this is first time I changing for large tips. The sound in the bass and the treble is changing very much with medium or large. Is very curious because I thinking that some people thinking they preferring maybe the sound is better with the medium tips (less bass and more treble) than the large tips (more bass and less treble). This is first time for me I hearing big difference in 2 frequencies with the different tips sizes. Isn't the best for me but even the medium tips the sound is better than old airpods.

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 979
Agree on tips
I usually do medium
Tried the large and it seems to have a better seal.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 979
Agree on tips
I usually do medium

I got these today as well and tried Large briefly and I felt like it was a better seal, but they'd kind of "flange" (?) inside out when I took them out, which didn't feel great. Maybe I'll try it again later, but I think the ideal for me would be between Medium and Large...I wonder if we'll see some more intermediate sizes by 3rd parties (or maybe Comply tips?).

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 979
I too have the Sony XM3 and while the Sony has a slightly better sound quality (bass mainly) I think the ANC is better on the Airpods pro.

I tried to figure out why and then I realised when I listen carefully The ANC on the airports seems to focus on filtering out white noises whereas the Sony one is filtering generally on all noises and to the extent that the ANC IS affecting the mid and treble a bit.

They are both excellent true wireless earphones and I think both have their fortes. For example support of LDAC on sony but none on airports. Tel. conversations is better on the airports. On dropout rates the airports have ZERO dropouts where Sony have one or two in heavy traffic especially with lots of traffic lights.

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 979
I was planning to buy a powerbeats pro for gym since i see the review from Rtings, but the new airpods pro comes out and I'm attracted by the appearance and the brilliant gesture controls. But what I'm worried about is the connect issue of airpods, I have a airpods now, but it sometimes loss connection of the left one, no idea whether it's the chip issue, want to wait the review.

Oct 31, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 979
I got mine yesterday and am very impressed.

- sound quality is much improved compared to Gen 1, these sound like real quality headphones
- at first it felt like a bit of a flat sound, but I have now changed to the large seals and this seems to have improved the bass quite a bit like someone here suggested
- overall very clear and balanced and sound stage opens up when volume is pushed above 60%
- ANC is very good at filtering out ambient noises, but not so much at voices. Trains disappear, but I can hear the odd voice and announcements. When paired with music, even at low volumes, noises almost entirely disappear. In the office I can hear the typing sounds of keyboards ever so slightly
- super comfortable, even after two hours
- the small charging case is amazing and so convenient, as before
- controls work well!

Very impressed!

Oct 31, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 979
I too have the Sony XM3 and while the Sony has a slightly better sound quality (bass mainly) I think the ANC is better on the Airpods pro.

I tried to figure out why and then I realised when I listen carefully The ANC on the airports seems to focus on filtering out white noises whereas the Sony one is filtering generally on all noises and to the extent that the ANC IS affecting the mid and treble a bit.

They are both excellent true wireless earphones and I think both have their fortes. For example support of LDAC on sony but none on airports. Tel. conversations is better on the airports. On dropout rates the airports have ZERO dropouts where Sony have one or two in heavy traffic especially with lots of traffic lights.

Are you comparing to the Over-ear WH or in-ear WF 1000x? I have both but the WFs do not have LDAC support. If the ANC is better on the airpods on the over-ear WH then that would be amazing!

Oct 31, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #11 of 979
Are you comparing to the Over-ear WH or in-ear WF 1000x? I have both but the WFs do not have LDAC support. If the ANC is better on the airpods on the over-ear WH then that would be amazing!

I had the over ear WH1000XM2 for a while. ANC on the AirPods isn’t as good, but it’s not far off. Maybe 80-90%. It filters a similar amount of low background noises like trains. Struggles a little with louder background noises like screeching trains.

I’d say ANC is on par with the wireless momentums over ear

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #12 of 979
Ah! I beg your pardon mine is the WF 1000xm3 you are correct they don't have LDAC. I was thinking of the WL , the necklace

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #13 of 979
Copy & paste from the WF-1000XM3 since I think these two earbuds are probably what people would be shopping for. As always I look at True Wireless Earbuds from more angles than just sound:

Just got the AirPods Pro today. Quick impressions:
* AirPods Pro has a typical V-shaped sound - slightly boosted bass and treble is raised a bit. The treble can get a bit shrilled depending on the song. It sounds noticeably better with ANC on rather than off, strangely, and soundstage is a bit boxed in. In general it's a good enough signature for a pair of True Wireless Earbuds and is not offensive to my ears, maybe even a bit too much bass for my preference in fact.
However you shouldn't forget that iOS doesn't have a system wide EQ, whereas the WF-1000XM3 does when programmed via the Sony app. If you don't like the sound of the AirPods Pro, you are stuck with it. Whereas if you spend a bit of time EQing the M3, you should get it to sound very close to what you want.
* The touch control on the AirPods Pro absolutely sucks - probably the worst of all TWE I've ever tried. That stem is just not in the right position to be squeezed and there is no tactile feedback, and the only sound that alerts you is a tiny "click". Apple probably expects you to either use Hey Siri or the Apple Watch to control playback.
* Comfort is good - it doesn't require a deep insert so it feels a bit weird when switching from the M3, they are also very light, so you kinda don't even know if they are seated properly or not, actually feels a little weird without the weighty assurance. The eartips are proprietary - if they fit you you are good, if not, you are out of luck as you won't be tip rolling. There's also a metal filter on the eartips, I wonder if removing it will change the sound, but since I don't have any replacements I can't take that risk....
* Features - as expected, full Apple integration will give you the best no fuss pairing experience, just flip the case open and it pairs magically. Video/audio sync is spot on, it even syncs up with games (advantage of having everything in house). If you watch movies and game on your phone, hard to beat this.
* Case - AirPods Pro definitely have the better case - smaller with wireless charging, holds about the same charges etc.

tl;dr AirPod Pros or M3 is going to depend on your usage. For music I think M3 is still better, if you use a bit of everything on your phone and you are an iPhone user, then the AirPods Pro is worth a look, but you have to watch out for the trappings like no EQ and no tip rolling.

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #14 of 979
Agree on tips
I usually do medium

Yes, is the same with me. I'm very surprise because the test for the tip seal is giving me ok for medium and large. The difference in the sound is big.

I got these today as well and tried Large briefly and I felt like it was a better seal, but they'd kind of "flange" (?) inside out when I took them out, which didn't feel great. Maybe I'll try it again later, but I think the ideal for me would be between Medium and Large...I wonder if we'll see some more intermediate sizes by 3rd parties (or maybe Comply tips?).

Maybe the flange problem is because you trying push more deep than necessary? This happening with me 2 times too but I learning that isn't necessary pushing very much only sufficient for creating the seal.

I was planning to buy a powerbeats pro for gym since i see the review from Rtings, but the new airpods pro comes out and I'm attracted by the appearance and the brilliant gesture controls. But what I'm worried about is the connect issue of airpods, I have a airpods now, but it sometimes loss connection of the left one, no idea whether it's the chip issue, want to wait the review.

This is strange. Maybe you old airpods is faulty? I have iPhone and MacBook and connection with the 2 earphones of my app is always perfect.

I had the over ear WH1000XM2 for a while. ANC on the AirPods isn’t as good, but it’s not far off. Maybe 80-90%. It filters a similar amount of low background noises like trains. Struggles a little with louder background noises like screeching trains.

I’d say ANC is on par with the wireless momentums over ear

I have sennheiser momentum 3 wireless headphone and the anc of the app is better. This is very big surprise the high level of the isolation of the app.

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #15 of 979
Copy & paste from the WF-1000XM3 since I think these two earbuds are probably what people would be shopping for. As always I look at True Wireless Earbuds from more angles than just sound:

Just got the AirPods Pro today. Quick impressions:
* AirPods Pro has a typical V-shaped sound - slightly boosted bass and treble is raised a bit. The treble can get a bit shrilled depending on the song. It sounds noticeably better with ANC on rather than off, strangely, and soundstage is a bit boxed in. In general it's a good enough signature for a pair of True Wireless Earbuds and is not offensive to my ears, maybe even a bit too much bass for my preference in fact.
However you shouldn't forget that iOS doesn't have a system wide EQ, whereas the WF-1000XM3 does when programmed via the Sony app. If you don't like the sound of the AirPods Pro, you are stuck with it. Whereas if you spend a bit of time EQing the M3, you should get it to sound very close to what you want.
* The touch control on the AirPods Pro absolutely sucks - probably the worst of all TWE I've ever tried. That stem is just not in the right position to be squeezed and there is no tactile feedback, and the only sound that alerts you is a tiny "click". Apple probably expects you to either use Hey Siri or the Apple Watch to control playback.
* Comfort is good - it doesn't require a deep insert so it feels a bit weird when switching from the M3, they are also very light, so you kinda don't even know if they are seated properly or not, actually feels a little weird without the weighty assurance. The eartips are proprietary - if they fit you you are good, if not, you are out of luck as you won't be tip rolling. There's also a metal filter on the eartips, I wonder if removing it will change the sound, but since I don't have any replacements I can't take that risk....
* Features - as expected, full Apple integration will give you the best no fuss pairing experience, just flip the case open and it pairs magically. Video/audio sync is spot on, it even syncs up with games (advantage of having everything in house). If you watch movies and game on your phone, hard to beat this.
* Case - AirPods Pro definitely have the better case - smaller with wireless charging, holds about the same charges etc.

tl;dr AirPod Pros or M3 is going to depend on your usage. For music I think M3 is still better, if you use a bit of everything on your phone and you are an iPhone user, then the AirPods Pro is worth a look, but you have to watch out for the trappings like no EQ and no tip rolling.

Is always good having different opinions and comparing products. Thank you for the post.

I never trying Sony m3 but I have sennheiser momentum true wireless (mtw) earphones that I thinking is very very good sound. I think airpods pro with good seal is comparing very good with the mtw.

My opinion is different from you in this:

I think treble isn't raised, but is feeling raised when I using medium tips. With the large tips the treble is reducing much for me.

I'm completely not agree that the sound with the anc on and off change. I have iPhone and in control centre you change quickly and I testing many changing times and I don't hearing a difference. For one or 2 seconds is big change because airpods quickly adapting sound for anc on/off and ambient. The adaptive in sound technology of the research of apple of the airpods pro is impressing me very very much. Is using similar technology of HomePod speaker.

I think touch controls is very good! I change song easy never a problem, and is the same with play and pause. When you changing anc for on, off or ambient you hearing clear 3 different sounds. This is good. The click sound for pause/play, next/previous track is subtle click and isn't giving you loud sound. This is very good thinking for design this way in my opinion.

The only control I wanting is volume up and down, but if I looking in the complete product of the airpods pro, I think this is very excellent product.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back