Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Oct 13, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #571 of 979
The APP2s are fantastically comfortable for commuting and active uses. I use them every day without fail. I wear the APP2s during workouts, commutes, and while out walking my dog, and I've been pleasantly surprised by their solid isolation and great bass, which the original APP lacked. I'm using Comply foam ear tips that give a great seal. The APP2's noise canceling is great, and it auto-adapts after you insert them into your ears. It effectively muffles the sound of ambulance sirens, cars honking, and subway noise -- all of which is essential since I live in the city.

When I'm sitting at my desk working and want to do more serious listening, I use my Sennheiser MTW3. The MTW3's noise-cancelling is not adequate for being out and about in the city, and they're not nearly as comfortable to wear as the APP2s. They fail at being good exercise earphones. However, the MTW3's sound quality easily bests the APP2s. They have a better defined treble and midrange, and a more "exciting" and accurate sound compared to the APP2s. Their bass is also more defined than the APP2, but the APP2s have more bass quantity and slam. I feel like I get a better overall representation of music from the MTW3 vs. the APP2.

Sound-wise, the APP2s come across as a bit softer and less defined than the MTW3. I'm okay with that trade-off for working out. A great song will come on and I'll crank up the volume and feel motivated to work out harder. The APP2's slightly-rounded-off treble and less defined midrange create a more "pleasant" sound that makes it possible to listen to them louder without discomfort or treble fatigue. And that bass! So good for working out. Their excellent isolation makes me feel like I'm exercising in my own personal bubble.

I find the APP2 and MTW3 to be complementary based on usage case. I don't hesitate to grab the APP2s if I'm heading out the door, but the MTW3s stay in my bag until I'm stationary and feel like doing some quality listening.

EDIT: After trying my Sony NW-ZX507 to stream AAC to the APP2, I realized I had Dolby Atmos turned on by default in my iPhone's settings. It has a different sound profile with Dolby turned off. I will update my observations later.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #573 of 979
Like I saying before, construction work is happening next to my house, and the noise today is more bad/loud than normal.

So, I'm writing this post because I deciding going to the terrace for 30 minutes and listening to a new album that is very quiet and having a lot of instrumental music. So, this isn't rock or jazz with drums and guitars or loud singing that helping masking outside noise.

The APP 2 is doing a fantastic job blocking really a lot of the outside noise where I can listening this album and enjoying very, very much.

Is really not exaggeration that the APP 2 is having one of the best, really best ANC performance of all earphones OR headphones today.

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #574 of 979
Very good video review here from today comparing APP 2 and Bose Quiet Comfort Earbuds 2:

Here is the frequency response from the video (green Harman target, red APP 2 and blue Bose QC Earbuds 2):

Screenshot 2022-10-14 at 18.18.44.png

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #575 of 979
Very good video review here from today comparing APP 2 and Bose Quiet Comfort Earbuds 2:

Here is the frequency response from the video (green Harman target, red APP 2 and blue Bose QC Earbuds 2):

The APP2 graphs better than the 1 and that’s reflected in the sound. Using them since launch day, they’ve impressed me more than I expected they would. They’re way more robust sounding than the APP1 with increased bass quantity and smoother treble.

The knock on them (to my ear) is that Apple is over-processing the ANC and transparency modes. The APP2 sounds noticeably better with ANC and/or transparency turned off. The opposite was the case with the APP1s.

And over-processing isn’t limited to the APP2s. The iPhone 14 Pro Max’s camera is NUTS with over-processing. If you’re not careful with it the images produced look… bizarre. Weird color, too much sharpening, HDR flatness and bokeh that’s just ugly. The situation with APP2 isn’t nearly as pronounced but it does seem to be part of the same overall picture.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #576 of 979
Messing with the APP2

APP2 sound, for a Bluetooth unit, quite good, really good infect, inside the Apple bubble, tested on iPhone13ProMax, Apple Music. [the good]

After listening, I then paired and connected the APP2 to a W10 PC, that's when crap hit the fan.

APP2 sound, anemic on windows 10 64bit. [the bad]

Stuck the old Sony MDR-Z1R into the Win10 laptop, was a nice movie going, so I just put the APP2 to the charge box and forgot about them.

But I'll really enjoy walking to the bedroom later, with the new APP2, go to sleep listening to an audiobook via blue-tooth, NC on happy dont have to listen to random drunk ppl outside, the Neighbours trying to hump each other again or hearing the wife snore.

I can't sleep in bed, on my side, with the giant, Sony MDR-Z1R on the pillows, impossible.

Both are tools, one is a sledgehammer with 50cal bullets mounted, when you need to take out a Raid Dragon in one hit.

Other is a lovely much needed high-tech toothbrush, with cameras and AI, that will guide its self cleaning your gums, before the batterys run out after 2min.

hand-showing-three-fingers-isolated-businessman-s-35308780.jpg

Quickly figured how to use the new, touch volume/Siri system.

3 finger action.

Thumb
, under, Index over, grab and hold the APP2 in place.

Give the new system the middle finger, flick it up and down, volume goes up and down.

-Hamuraii

Oct 15, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #577 of 979
Really nice tuning. Very listenable for long periods of time, especially good with anc and transparency off.
I can't believe anyone would want more bass than these offer. They clearly have too much bass. But it's good quality and goes very low. Really great product, very happy with them.

Oct 16, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #578 of 979
I’ve reproduced a peculiar phenomenon with three samples so far and I’m curious if others could do the same.

If you play pink noise with the APP2 with ANC turned off, and while still playing pink noise, turn ANC on, have you noticed that :
  1. It occasionally shifts left / right some parts of the spectrum and / or changes the FR in an asymmetrical way
  2. The shift may correct itself - or at least re-balance itself - after a while (a few seconds) ?
You may need to switch back and forth between ANC off and on several times for the phenomenon to occur and give enough time when switching to ANC on to let the system adjust for several seconds.
This may also occur occasionally with music.

I’m not quite certain but it could be related to this issue : https://9to5mac.com/2022/10/12/airpods-pro-2-sync-audio-drift/

I’m wondering if that could simply be a straightforward bug, or either an attempt from Apple to do something quite clever for which they still need to iron out a few wrinkles (I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that Apple is doing something in the vein of what Bose tries to do with their new CustomTune feature but with music as a signal and continuously updated).

EDIT : just to make it clear : this is with Spatial Audio turned off obviously.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #579 of 979
Hi all just bought a pair of airpod pro 2 and have them hooked up to a iPhone X. I put them on my desk through the night to charge the buds. When I went out to work I put them in my ears and about 10 min later they now say they are 93%. And that’s without playing music but with half and half of noise and transparency on That does not sound right. ? Can anyone confirm as I would of thought that to be slower drop.

Only charged the whole Lot once when I bought them as they where on 60% out of the box before I used them.

Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #580 of 979
Well, it hasn’t been a month and my APP2 is going in for a replacement. ANC died - no longer attenuates any mid range and treble.

Oct 17, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #581 of 979
Hi all just bought a pair of airpod pro 2 and have them hooked up to a iPhone X. I put them on my desk through the night to charge the buds. When I went out to work I put them in my ears and about 10 min later they now say they are 93%. And that’s without playing music but with half and half of noise and transparency on That does not sound right. ? Can anyone confirm as I would of thought that to be slower drop.

Only charged the whole Lot once when I bought them as they where on 60% out of the box before I used them.

Thanks

I’d use them for a week and see if the charging behavior changes. Sometimes lithium batteries need to run a couple cycles before they settle down. But if it‘s still doing it after a week contact AppleCare.

Oct 18, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #583 of 979
To add to the many reviews here, I will say that I am quite impressed with the APP2. First, ANC is spectacular, nearly on par with XM5/APM, and a huge improvement over APP1. I use my APP2 for cycling, and the wind noise control is so much better. Fit is also better, with both a better seal, and better comfort to the point that I do not feel them. SQ compared to APP is a nut shell is fuller and richer. To me, the ANC is the big selling point on these, and what makes this upgrade completely worth it. The longer battery life is nice, as I would often run out of juice on a long bike ride (and I don't take the case).

I’ve reproduced a peculiar phenomenon with three samples so far and I’m curious if others could do the same.
I've had that issue with APP as well. Not yet with the APP2.

Oct 18, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #585 of 979
Interesting. Was that when moving from
ANC on to off, or moving from ANC off to on ?
It was a combination of using my Apple Watch as source and switching between ANC and Transparency, something I do a lot while riding a bike depending on trail/protected bike lane/high traffic for safety. When the issue happened, it was tricky to resynchronize them. Simplest way would be to put them back in the case and take them out again, but I don't take the case on rides. I would have to change sources: Podcast app to Music app to phone function, toggling between ANC on and off, or disconnecting and reconnecting BT until they worked again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back