Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Sep 9, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #181 of 979
Additional impressions of the Spinfit CP1025:
  • Bass is similar to stock tips in quantity and quality (make sure right size tips and good seal). Bass will go low to sub bass region but still lack punch which is normal and within the limit of the APP driver.
  • Passive sound isolation is similar, which is medium isolation level to me
  • Sound quality is not affected by either ANC on or off
As mentioned IMO the main benefits the Spinfit brings is better sound clarity in mid/treble and improved comfort. Overall, the Spinfit after market tips is a worth while upgrade for me.
How comfortable are they? I've tried some SpinFits for full sized IEMs and they were not very soft. Thanks.

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #183 of 979
I have the original airpods, the airpod pros, the Sony WF-1000XM3, and Shure se846. I use them all for various use cases.

By far, the Airpod Pros are the best for talking on the phone. They are very comfortable to wear and transparency mode is wonderfully implemented. When I travel, I carry both my Airpod Pros and the Sony's. I use the Pros for talking on the phone and the Sony's for listening to music. I find the sound to be a lot better with the Sonys. But, the Sony Ambient mode isn't great and the sound quality for the other person on the phone call isn't great. I find the noise cancellation to be sufficient for planes and airports with both monitors.

I use the airpods as back up to the Pros or when listening to podcasts or television programs. The sound quality is sufficient for that use. The airpod pros don't have long battery life so the back up is good when I am on the phone a lot in a given day so I don't have to listen with one earbud.

The Shure se846 IEMs I use with a FIIO BTR5 paired with my iPhone for untethered, high quality music listening either around the house or when I am out and about.

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #188 of 979
Has anyone been able to try the Spinfits and other 3rd party tips? Would be interested in a comparison.

So far I've picked up the Dekoni Audio Bulletz, Comply Foam, and AZLA SednaEarfit Xelastec for the AirPods Pro and I spent a little time with each. The Xelastec have seen the most use for me due to their comfort, grip (I run constantly with the APP), and sound. To my ears, the Xelastic have a bit more high-end detail compared to the two foams, which is more in-line with my tastes. I haven't tried the Spinfits specifically. Maybe that'll be another purchase down the road.

New firmware available BTW. Apparently Spatial Audio is here if you're using the iOS 14 beta.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/09/14/airpods-pro-spatial-audio-now-available/

It took a bit, but my APP finally updated to 3A283 so I was able to take a minute to play around with the spatial audio setting. Early impressions are good: I especially like how the processing takes into consideration the relative positions of both your device and the headphones. I was able to walk around the office holding my phone ahead of me and the audio remained in front until I moved my phone or head off-axis.

At the moment it seems like it only works with Apple TV+ content so I signed up for the trial, and a few minutes of See have me excited to find out how it performs when we can use it with third party 5.1/7.1 content like Netflix or games. There doesn't seem to be much on TV+ grabbing my eye, though I may give Servant a try during the 7 day trial.

APP Beta 1.PNG APP Beta 2.PNG

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #189 of 979
I purchased Airpods pro today for my new iphone

First impressions are ok but as everyone mentioned in this thread, the convenience is super good. But I'm missing volume control on ear phones as I use in Sennheiser momentum true wireless but apart from that momentum is not good in connection quality and convenience

Sound quality wise, as of now I don't have any clear picture but I am kind of preferring airpods pro. Unless you eq momentum heavily, highs are not that good (kind of sizzy). But airpods pro is bit less (though it is still high in aac apple music). voice is better in airpods pro

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #190 of 979
I had an experience this week that shows how much of a game-changer automatic switching is. I was catching up on a podcast on my iPhone while I was surfing the web. I was on a site that had a video I wanted to watch - I clicked play on it and the podcast paused while the video played with no other action needed by me. Partway through it, a coworker called me, and that was seamlessly passed along again.

Any other IEMs are going to have an impossible job trying to keep up with this. This feature alone makes my purchase worth it in my mind, even though these are the most expensive IEMs I own. I don't have to have separate pairs dedicated for different Apple devices, or switch to different pairings for casual listening. So while I have other pairs for different uses (better for music, better for workouts, yard work beaters), I can thin the herd otherwise.

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #191 of 979
I had an experience this week that shows how much of a game-changer automatic switching is. I was catching up on a podcast on my iPhone while I was surfing the web. I was on a site that had a video I wanted to watch - I clicked play on it and the podcast paused while the video played with no other action needed by me. Partway through it, a coworker called me, and that was seamlessly passed along again.

Any other IEMs are going to have an impossible job trying to keep up with this. This feature alone makes my purchase worth it in my mind, even though these are the most expensive IEMs I own. I don't have to have separate pairs dedicated for different Apple devices, or switch to different pairings for casual listening. So while I have other pairs for different uses (better for music, better for workouts, yard work beaters), I can thin the herd otherwise.
Yeah, this is a real nice featured wireless iems have an advantage in. I hope this feature gets much better across all devices not only Apple.

I wish I can do this through wired iems through a networked device. I'm sure it can be done.

Sep 20, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #192 of 979

The very good news is that this feature is available too with the normal AirPods (second generation only), and even if spatial audio is only available in AirPods Pro, the automatic switching feature in normal AirPods is excellent addition that is making the excellent AirPods 2 even better.

Sep 26, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #193 of 979
Help! I've had the AirPods Pro since they were released, and fit has continued to be a problem. I'm looking for feedback on which tips might help.

With most true IEMs, I wear a Medium tip, but since the APP sit so shallow I mainly have used the Large; I'm 6'4" so I have larger ears. But regardless of using the Medium or Large tips, I can't get a good seal.

I next tried the Comply tips, which generally work well - but they don't snap onto the APP well and often come off when I take the APP out of my ears.

I next tried the Azla, sizes M-ML-L but they were too damn shallow to seal at all. Within 15 minutes, I gave up with them.

I don't know if I should try another set of Comply, hoping my pair were just defective, or if to try to Dekoni. I generally like SpinFit tips, but their APP tips look shallow like the Azla. Any others to try?

Apple made a mistake by making the APP a very shallow insertion; really they don't "insert" at all! If they inserted in the ears like most IEMs, they'd be great! And the fit of the APP case prevents any 3rd parties from making true IEM tips for them.

Sep 26, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #194 of 979
Help! I've had the AirPods Pro since they were released, and fit has continued to be a problem. I'm looking for feedback on which tips might help.

With most true IEMs, I wear a Medium tip, but since the APP sit so shallow I mainly have used the Large; I'm 6'4" so I have larger ears. But regardless of using the Medium or Large tips, I can't get a good seal.

I next tried the Comply tips, which generally work well - but they don't snap onto the APP well and often come off when I take the APP out of my ears.

I next tried the Azla, sizes M-ML-L but they were too damn shallow to seal at all. Within 15 minutes, I gave up with them.

I don't know if I should try another set of Comply, hoping my pair were just defective, or if to try to Dekoni. I generally like SpinFit tips, but their APP tips look shallow like the Azla. Any others to try?

Apple made a mistake by making the APP a very shallow insertion; really they don't "insert" at all! If they inserted in the ears like most IEMs, they'd be great! And the fit of the APP case prevents any 3rd parties from making true IEM tips for them.
Yes, APP relies on tips to hold on your ears, and do not utilize wings which some people like you will need due to not holding in place.

I'd research Dekoni, Spinfit and all others. There has got to be larger size tips than stock.

All this depends on your ear geometry. I don't get deper insertion either (but some people get it in deaper), but luckily large stock works for me. I see your piint that larger size tips in the set of stock tips is warranted.

Would wings help with keeping it in place? If so, perhaps aftermarket wings are sold for them

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #195 of 979

It’s just a limitation of the design. I have made a few posts about insertion depth and how it affects sound and fit.

I have tried the Dekoni (returned) and Azla. Oddly, I use the smallest size Azla but use M and L for the Apple silicone tips.

The best explanation I have read is that the AirPods Pro are designed to fit a broader range of ear canals. I’m sure the APP sells exponentially better than any competitor in its price range, whether they are IEMs or TWS.

The decision to use a proprietary tip design likely played a part in both compatibility and tuning, as well as for industrial design purposes. It is very much an Apple thing to design a product to look sleek, modern, and distinctly Apple.

I have just accepted that these will never be the best sounding or most comfortable/secure earbuds/IEMs I have, but they’re by far the most convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back