Apologies to Grado users, and kudos to Grado
Feb 22, 2005 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
Months ago I posted a message on why I did not like Grados. It was just expressing an opinion, and many thought of it as an attack. It was not. It was a long and messy thread.

This was after trying the SR60, SR125 and SR225. I was not really happy with these overall. I would have liked a 225 in my arsenal though for some recordings.

Well, a family member gave me some SR80's for Christmas. What is it with these headphones????? The other Grados I was not happy with, but the SR80's sounds GOOOOOOD. They actually had bass? They sound wonderful with my portables! Sometimes I just adjust the highs a bit down on the equalizers.

Now it is true love...I love my SR80's! I think thery are THE portable headpones. They are way better than the SR60's for portable use, well worth the extra $$$$$. Much better for portables than the Sony 7506's.

The sounds out my my Zen Xtra 40gb and HiMD MZNH600D are superb!

So apologies to all about previous Grado posts. Apparently I just had to find the right one. I have no desire to upgrade to another Grado, the SR80'S are that good.

Headroom site says SR80's sound "murky" without and amp. I do not find this at all. Great cans!

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 18
Now why do you never see threads like this being made about Sennheiser cans.. God damn Grado mafia! fredpd.. They've got you by the balls and now you have to do every thing you can to bash Sennheiser cans for the rest of your life
tongue.gif
. Hope your happy with your new family
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 18
Yes, that is only case I have found where headroom is just plain blatantly WRONG. I can understand if they're supporting the improvement their amps make, but the word they are using is the opposite of their unamped nature. They are actually more harsh and tinny without amplification. Still, good choice! They are my weapon of choice as well.

Feb 22, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 18
I never got the whole Grado thing when all I had was an sr-225 - I liked them for the first 3 days, then hated them for the next year. Then I gave them a second chance in my portable rig with vwap pads - this was a decent setup, and at that point I decided to not totally write off their headphones. Recently I heard the sr-200 and rs-1 at a meet, and these sounded excellent. Then my hp-2 arrived and I was blown away
biggrin.gif

I much prefer them over the hd650 for music at this point in time, though I still favor the Senns for DVD movies and anime (the ones I have with good audio tracks, anyways). I have had a low opinion of grados in the past, and now I kinda feel bad about it too
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
I never got the whole Grado thing when all I had was an sr-225. Then I gave them a second chance in my portable rig with vwap pads - this was a decent setup, and at that point I decided to not totally write off their headphones. Recently I heard the sr-200 and rs-1 at a meet, and these sounded excellent. Then my hp-2 arrived and I was blown away
biggrin.gif

I much prefer them over the hd650 for music at this point in time, though I still favor the Senns for DVD movies and anime (the ones I have with good audio tracks, anyways). I have had a low opinion of grados in the past, and now I kinda feel bad about it too
tongue.gif

Low opinion of grados???? I just hate them
rs1smile.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Haha. I can now see the appeal in collecting them like the rest of you crazies
biggrin.gif

Too bad I lost that audiogon auction on an hp-1...

Bloody hell dude you were willing to pay $761 for hp-1's????your nuts.

Aug 2, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Bloody hell dude you were willing to pay $761 for hp-1's????your nuts.

I watched a pair go for $445 (buy it now) on ebay...I would probably have jumped on it with the information I now know...too bad the auction was a week ago.

I agree about Headphone.com and their SR-80 is 'murky'. What kind of $hit is that anyway?

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by zool
Now why do you never see threads like this being made about Sennheiser cans...

Maybe because Grado users who listen to the HD650 fall asleep?
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
biggrin.gif

I have a pair of 650's. I like them. Just because I love Grado headphones doesn't mean I cannot like another brand from another manufacturer. I think too many headfiers get caught up in the Senn V Grado argument.

Where headfiers must stick to their chosen brand. Personally I think they are denying themselves the experience of trying other manufacturers with equally appealing sound.

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
biggrin.gif

Word

Users who are viewing this thread

Back