1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Apollo X6 as DAC/Headphone Amp for Audeze LCD-X's?

1. Jetpackwalrus
    Recently picked up a pair of Audeze LCD-Xs. Driving them with an Apollo X6. I mainly use the combination for production, but also want to expand and improve my casual listening the experience.

The LCD-X's are 20 ohms. They don't require a ton of juice to drive and as far as I can tell they sound amazing coming through the Apollo! No distortion. Nice open sound stage. I'm literally hearing details in songs that I had never heard before!!!

My question is as follows: would there be any noticeable difference/improvement from having a separate DAC or secondary headphone amp (connected to the Apollo X6's outputs)? I know the answer is most definitely a "yes" for really high end DAC's and amps, however I'm looking more specifically in the $100-350 range.

Z-Reviews recommended the Micca OriGen in his review of the LCD-X's. As a DAC, the origen pretty much has the same bit depth and sample rate as the Apollo X6.

I am also looking at the Apogee Groove (same bit depth and sample rate as the Apollo).

Open to other suggestions. The more portable, the better.

Source Audio
    : Tidal and/or CD.

Apollo X6 DAC Specs: 24-bit/192 KHz

Apollo X6 Headphone Output Specs:
    Dynamic Range: 125 dB (A-weighted)
    THD+N: -102 dB (0.00080%)
    Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz, ±0.05 dB

TLDR
    : Have an Apollo X6 Audio Interface with Audeze LCD-X's (20 ohms). Would the LCD-X's benefit from an entry level DAC/Amp, or is the Apollo X6 enough to drive them?