Apogee vs Aqvox vs Benchmark (USB DACs), help me choose
Dec 25, 2007 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dzjudz

Headphoneus Supremus
I just posted a WTB ad to acquire on of these three USB DACs:
- Apogee Mini-DAC USB
- Aqvox USB 2 D/A MKII
- Benchmark DAC1 USB
They all have exactly the features I want.

A standalone DAC is the last component to add to my system.

My first question is: is it worth it to have a DAC as the most expensive component in your setup? I currently have an Arcam CD73 and Laptop (and Airport Express) as sources and a Corda Cantate as dedicated headphone amp. So currently I am using the Arcam and the Airport Express DACs and the Cantate's USB DAC. I am guessing each of these three DACs will be a significant upgrade from my current DACs.

My second question is: which of these DACs would be best suited for the job? I there anybody who has more than one of these, or has previously owned more than one of these who can give a few comparative notes (usability, sound quality)?

The genres I listen to most are Indie, Alternative Pop and Folk. Favourite artists include Damien Rice, Tori Amos, Rilo Kiley, The Postal Service and The Weepies. My headphones are the Senn HD650.

I realise that these three DACs have very comparative features. All about the same inputs and outputs, including balanced output (with an eye to future upgraditis).

Any opinions on the subject are much appreciated.

Dec 26, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 4
Iron_Dreamer wrote a pretty comprehensive side-by-side review of all of the dacs you mention. Do a search. It's a good read.

Dec 26, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 4
Among your choice....I would go for Benchmark. It considered "bright" and detailed which will complement SennHD650. Plus...you can go balanced by simply recabling your existing stock cable.

Dec 26, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the input so far, I will definitely look up the review you mentioned. Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Among your choice....I would go for Benchmark. It considered "bright" and detailed which will complement SennHD650. Plus...you can go balanced by simply recabling your existing stock cable.

Well, as I said, all three of these DACs have balanced output.

Also, maybe somebody here has one of these DACs and has a certain complaint about it? I'm sure all three DACs are very good, that's why I'm choosing among these, but maybe somebody has a negative comment to make about them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back