APEX PINNACLE OR TWO OF THESE : ECBA & DNA STRATUS/ CAVALLI LG/ RSA DARK STAR
Dec 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 116

SHAHZADA123

500+ Head-Fier
I have saved some money the past 3 months and am ready to buy the Pinnacle.
BUT. I will have to sell my one year old ECBA. 

The other option is to keep the ECBA AND buy one of these TOTL amps ; DNA STRATUS/ CAVALLI  LG/ RSA DARK STAR

OR should I just go for the PINNACLE...
confused_face_2.gif

Please help me decide

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 116
I heard the Pinnacle paired with an HD800 at a meet and it was pure bliss. One of those stations I kept going back to because I couldn't believe how well it sounded.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 116
Theres no chance for me to audition any of these amps.

To get the 009/BHSE, I'll have to sell the ECBA since I've only got 5k and can't live just with the Stax rig...
I do love my PS1000s, HD800s,PS1s, LCD3s..

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 116
Quote:
I heard the Pinnacle paired with an HD800 at a meet and it was pure bliss. One of those stations I kept going back to because I couldn't believe how well it sounded.

OK, so one vote for having just the Pinnacle

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 116
There's no one amp that is "best" for all headphones.  Pete has even told me that the Pinnacle cannot drive the K1000 to ear-splitting levels (and some would extend that to the HE-6) though it can drive well.  That still seems like another compromise to me considering the headphones you own, one I wouldn't be willing to make at 10K.

If I was in your shoes (and this is what I'll probably do) I'd keep the BA for the more efficient headphones (Grado through HD800) and get something like an LG for Audeze through K1000/HE-6.  

I've only heard the LG twice but am getting one in for a longer time period fairly soon.  That I plan on buying one to complement the BA says something about it taking up where the BA leaves off.

Edit-  I still haven't heard one with more sensitive headphones, but have heard it may not be as an ideal pairing.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 116
Quote:
There's no one amp that is "best" for all headphones.  Pete has even told me that the Pinnacle is not the best for phones like the K1000 (and some would extend that to the HE-6) though it can drive it fairly well.  That just seems like another compromise to me considering the headphones you own, one I wouldn't be willing to make at 10K.

If I was in your shoes (and this is what I'll probably do) I'd keep the BA for the more efficient headphones (Grado through HD800) and get something like an LG for Audeze through K1000/HE-6.  

I've only heard the LG twice but am getting one in for a longer time period fairly soon.  That I plan on buying one to complement the BA says something about it taking up where the BA leaves off.

Thanks. And here I was under the impression that the Pinnacle is great with the K1000s...  
Just one thing. Wouldn't the Dark Star be a better choice for Audeze/HE6...

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 116
Is there any reason to believe that the Pinnacle will outperform the ECBA?

At almost twice the price of the ECBA, it better. :cool:

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 116
Heard a Pinnacle with a few headphones. One of the worst amps at the show (out of 60+).

Edited for clarity: This was a rig comprised of a Meridian source, Pinnacle amp, and HD800/LCD2/LCD3. It may have been an issue with the Meridian, not the amp.

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 116
Looking over your profile, there's no reason you shouldn't have an electrostat unless you've heard them and you don't like them.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #13 of 116
Quote:
Might be a wrong assumption to make...

I hear you and that's precisely the reason for this thread.
The ECBA is a fantastic amp and I didn't want to sell it in order to get the Pinnacle, blindly.
Not to forget the other option of keeping the ECBA & getting another amp to complement it.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #14 of 116
Quote:
Heard a Pinnacle with a few headphones. One of the worst amps at the show (out of 60+).

This is the first time I've read anybody use the word 'worst' with the Pinnacle. Interesting. 
Please elaborate.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #15 of 116
Quote:
Looking over your profile, there's no reason you shouldn't have an electrostat unless you've heard them and you don't like them.

I've had the SR009/WES and loved it but due to financial reasons had to sell them.
I will go the electrostat way but later...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back