Currency
USD
Price
post-12627935
Post #1 of 1

greg788

Head-Fier
Reaction score
This is the DIY version of the Apex Butte. You can buy the circuit board and enclosure off Ebay, which is what I did, and a Mouser BOM is provided. I built this myself about 2 months ago. It's completely stock except I used Takman REX carbon film resistors instead of the standard cheap metal films specified in the BOM. I've tried just about every resistor and I consider Takman REX the best -- right up there with Shinkoh, Riken, Vishay bulk foil, etc. Yes, I've tried almost every resistor imaginable at some point and Takman REX provide a subtle soft, warmer tone, something necessary IMO for solid state gear. Thus, all but two resistors are Takman REX. It also has a much nicer aluminum volume knob then the icky plastic one in the BOM. 

I've built several amplifiers and preamplifiers over the last several years so no worries about a hack job. The stock caps in the BOM are Panasonic FM so I didn't "upgrade" these since I consider FM and FC to be among the very best electrolytics for solid state. I tried a dozen different filter caps in an LM1875 gainclone I built and the pecking order went FM then FC then everything else, including the "for-audio use" Elna Silmic 2 and Nichicon FG.  

It usefully has 2 inputs, one for standard RCA's and one for a miniplug. 

I also built this with the low gain option (a mod directed specifically by Pete Millet) and the optional Class A biasing. You want the low gain option. Stock gain is way high (20, as I recall), especially for sensitive headphones and IEMs. The gain is currently 2 and I'm at about 10-11 o'clock using HD650, perfect. If the gain is too high, volume is like an on/off switch and right in the inaccurate portion of the potentiometer log taper, not good.

The Pre-built Apex Butte sold for $500 so this is a great deal and I'm only asking a modest $125, which is about what I have in it, plus it took me several hours to build. 

If you want a second opinion: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-beauty-pete-milletts-butte-headphone-amp#J89Jcbwmxwwwqbgx.97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)