Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Jan 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #271 of 862
Quote:

What source are you using? If your source isn't already pretty good not sure it is worth going to the HE500 without improving source first...

Anyways, mine is still shipping to me, so I have no personal experience, but with the gain on this it should have no trouble driving most orthos that aren't the HE-6. The Headphonia review virtually raved about how good the Glacier was with the LCD-2. I should get my Glacier late this week/early next, if nobody else has posted before then I will let you know how it is with my HE-6 and LCD-2.

I'll be alternating between using my laptop with poor internal DAC (currently connected to a Schiit Asgard) and my Sansa Clip Zip (my main reason is portability with the Glacier). So tempted to get this but due to lack of reviews I am still hesitating to pull the trigger.

Hope you post your impressions soon. Still amazed that there are claims that these amp/DAC can drive the HD 800 and HE-6 to bearable levels though..

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #272 of 862
Volume isn't everything. Even if my iPhone can drive my LCD-2 to my regular listening level, it still isn't the same as listening at the same volume with say a Mjolnir.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #273 of 862
Yes, you must be referring to the statement that these amps can drive the HD 800 and HE-6 but HE-6 is notoriously popular for it's difficulty to drive. I agree that volume is not everything and sometimes amps can be overrated but I think to extract the full potential of a headphone, an amp is needed (HE-6 is one of the best example) and surely a great DAC also.

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #274 of 862
At high gain, the Glacier drives my HE-500 efficiently, almost 95% what I get from my  desktop, but the battery will suffer.

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #275 of 862
Impressions on the sound? I know HE-500 is different to HE-400 but I would like to hear how the Glacier affects the sound.

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #276 of 862
The LCD-2 isn't that hard to drive, fully expect the Glacier to drive them well. I do not believe it will be able to drive the HE-6. Naturally I'll post my impressions for both headphones when it arrives (and the HD800, which I have on loan at the moment).

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #277 of 862
Quote:
Impressions on the sound? I know HE-500 is different to HE-400 but I would like to hear how the Glacier affects the sound.

I can only talk about the 500, it sounds really good (for me at least) driven from the Glacier.
Everything is there , I am not missing anything , only If I look for it , when compared with the desktop, and I am sure I read some place that it sounded wonderful with the HE-400, maybe @ Headfonia review??

I could not be happier, except that The Glacier just shines with my Sen. 598 and I find myself enjoying it better....don't know why??

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #278 of 862
Quote:
The LCD-2 isn't that hard to drive, fully expect the Glacier to drive them well. I do not believe it will be able to drive the HE-6. Naturally I'll post my impressions for both headphones when it arrives (and the HD800, which I have on loan at the moment).

I really hope that you enjoy it as much as I am, and will be waiting for those impressions, when do you expect to receive it?

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #279 of 862
Quote:
I can only talk about the 500, it sounds really good (for me at least) driven from the Glacier.
Everything is there , I am not missing anything , only If I look for it , when compared with the desktop, and I am sure I read some place that it sounded wonderful with the HE-400, maybe @ Headfonia review??

I could not be happier, except that The Glacier just shines with my Sen. 598 and I find myself enjoying it better....don't know why??

Probably as per headfonia review it injects PRaT for your Senn 598 to make it sound more fun?

Maybe I'm missing it but the review does not use HE-400 as its test subject so I will still be on the lookout for Glacier-HE-400 pairing impressions.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #280 of 862
Quote:

Probably as per headfonia review it injects PRaT for your Senn 598 to make it sound more fun?

Maybe I'm missing it but the review does not use HE-400 as its test subject so I will still be on the lookout for Glacier-HE-400 pairing impressions.

Yep, you might be right. Most often I find myself just wanting  to relax and cool down, and not in the mood to be analytical, just  enjoying music.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #281 of 862
Quote:

I really hope that you enjoy it as much as I am, and will be waiting for those impressions, when do you expect to receive it?

*Fingers crossed* Friday (day after tomorrow here in New Zealand). 

Really hoping to enjoy it, the Headphonia review sounds very promising, since a forward sound signature will suit my on-the-go listening patterns well. At present have the HeadAmp Pico, RSA Intruder, and Leckteron UHA-6S.MKII. Was using the Pico with my US S3 and just love its sound, the other two are truly excellent in their own right, but their sound signatures just don't gel for me quite as much as the Pico. High hopes that the Glacier might be the one to bring me the sound I need...

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #282 of 862
Just got mine! Was at home, signed for them.

First day of listening to the RS1s and Glacier

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #283 of 862
SurfWax, impressions on the Glacier?

I know Grados signature is  "in your face" type of aggressiveness and Glacier adds more forwardness as per review so I am interested in your opinion...

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #285 of 862

So, I got mine today :)

Had a brief listen to some of my go-to reference tracks, can easily say right now that this will suit my on-the-go listening extremely well. On-the-go I listen almost exclusively to rock and metal, and the PRaT and mids here excel in that area. Guitars "sound right" to my ear, which is super important both to those genres but also my own listening preferences as a guitarist myself. Drums also "sound right" to me, exhibiting the kind of punch and impact they should for the source material.

Will be most interested to do some A/B between this and the HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/amp combo (particularly now that a fix to allow the Pico to work with my Note 2 is available), which has previously stood out as my favourite portable.

Incidentally, that photo was taken by my other new toy, a Nokia 808 (my second actually, sold the first quickly, but regretted it since for those times when I need a very high quality camera-phone and to record concert audio since it has distortionless audio capture up to 145dB). Remarkable camera on that thing, the colour reproduction there is absolutely spot on, detail level is awesome, and there is just no noise to speak of - in fact my Panasonic FZ-100 shots are noisier than those from the 808 in most conditions. Not yet tested the Apex with the 808, but I expect it will work with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back