AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Sep 14, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #4,066 of 4,614
Thanks for that.

I'm listening to the AP80 right now, playing through another desktop DAC, which is what is so puzzling and frustrating. Why does the AP80 connect with two of my DACs, but not the Qute?

I thought I read something a few days ago that said Hidizs recommend using OTG for outputting to an external DAC, which suggests it might not be necessary in all cases. I can't find the article now to confirm or otherwise.

change the order in which you power them on, or connect them, etc...

but i dunno, ive never done it, if you put certain terms or words in quotes " " then google will search those exact terms

Sep 20, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #4,067 of 4,614
I'm not sure if I'm missing something or that this is a promised feature that never materialized...

I am unable to connect my AP80 Pro to my car via Bluetooth... The car scans and can see my phone but doesn't show the AP80 Pro... Other than simply turning on the Bluetooth on the Hidizs what should I be doing?

I know that Bluetooth works in general because I can connect my phone to the AP80 Pro and hear whatever sounds the phone would make over the earphones connected to the Hidizs instead... I had only done this after my car failed to connect and once I verified that it worked I unpaired my phone and AP80 Pro

Sep 20, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #4,068 of 4,614
I'm not sure if I'm missing something or that this is a promised feature that never materialized...

I am unable to connect my AP80 Pro to my car via Bluetooth... The car scans and can see my phone but doesn't show the AP80 Pro... Other than simply turning on the Bluetooth on the Hidizs what should I be doing?

I know that Bluetooth works in general because I can connect my phone to the AP80 Pro and hear whatever sounds the phone would make over the earphones connected to the Hidizs instead... I had only done this after my car failed to connect and once I verified that it worked I unpaired my phone and AP80 Pro
While I've never had my AP80 not connect, I've had it fail to transmit, due to a mismatch in codecs. A surprising number of receivers (cars and headphones) fail to negotiate a highest-common standard. For example, if I have the AP80 set to AptX, but the car can only do SBC, what should happen is that they end up settling on SBC. Instead, a lot of receivers just fail. The symptom on the AP80 is "playback failed." Generally, switching to SBC allows it to function as expected.

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #4,069 of 4,614
While I've never had my AP80 not connect, I've had it fail to transmit, due to a mismatch in codecs. A surprising number of receivers (cars and headphones) fail to negotiate a highest-common standard. For example, if I have the AP80 set to AptX, but the car can only do SBC, what should happen is that they end up settling on SBC. Instead, a lot of receivers just fail. The symptom on the AP80 is "playback failed." Generally, switching to SBC allows it to function as expected.
The major issue i have with my AP80 over bluetooth is that i cannot pair it to my Fiio Q5s. A very strange behaviour cause both the AP80 and the Q5s will pair with other devices without any issues. Occasionally after multiple attempts i do manage to pair it but the sound output is very choppy. Thats a very big let down for me cause i bought the Q5s to connect to the AP80 over LDAC. What has made matters worse is that the AP80 usb c port has become a bit loose and now i can no longer connect to the Q5s over usb either.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #4,072 of 4,614
1-Main Pic.jpg
Text version of my Hidizs AP80 Pro review

English: https://porta.fi/hidizs-ap80-pro-player-review-clever-prophylaxis/
Russian: https://porta.fi/ru/obzor-pleera-hidizs-ap80-pro-tolkovaya-profilaktika/

Oct 7, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #4,073 of 4,614
Does anyone have a problem with tranferring music files from a PC? My AP80 will take some files then crash my laptop (HP Windows 10) for a few minutes. I usually just load the micro SD with the card reader and it's fine, but not the most convenient. Any help here would be most appreciated.

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #4,074 of 4,614
Does anyone have a problem with tranferring music files from a PC? My AP80 will take some files then crash my laptop (HP Windows 10) for a few minutes. I usually just load the micro SD with the card reader and it's fine, but not the most convenient. Any help here would be most appreciated.

i had a red 256GB patriot micro sd card that would not work over the usb to transfer files, but would work over the card reader. it would work for a short time then crash the ap80 i think.

but my 128GB (i forget which brand. ATA or ADA or something) worked fine, and also my new 512GB lexar works fine too, over the usb.

i dont know why the 256GB patrtiot didnt work over usb. i tried some fixes but nothing helped.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #4,076 of 4,614
Nice day to all! I would like to make a brief comparison of the sound of the Hi-Fi player Hidisz AP80 Pro with its usual version of the Hidisz AP80.

47PtPVmY5ow0ayff9oBtxemoWD4wpuby5UUHs5qs6QHgX884q4_CDGpIIcl9XdzEaaQ56xhOMVqEQ_qzqjZYaFsV2bs23APfpPFAS77lvr5OGxnrFJIn8WbBU9stfOzZC_ycdBmq

Comparison was made with headphones Moondrop Starfield. To check the speed, control and feed of the player, I’ve used the tracks Dragonforce - Disciples of Babylon and The Prodigy - Boom boom tap.
So let's get started!

AP80, Dragonforce - Disciples of Babylon.
Low frequencies are not overloaded with mass. Detailed, fast, slightly empty due to the descent in the midbass area of the headphones.
The Mids are clean and detailed. There is little low midrange, the instruments feel quite light in weight and body. The upper mids are moderate, and overall tonally the midrange is light.
The High frequencies are slightly set back, quantitatively and qualitatively, they are above average and are quite good, however, they have a certain metallic overtones, which can sometimes be heard.
The stage is slightly more than average in width and clearly more than average in depth, the headphones make it easy to determine the position of the musicians on the stage if the sound engineer could show it.

AP80, The Prodigy - Boom boom tap.
Low frequencies are quantitatively small and they are rather "dry".
The middle frequencies are most noticeable for their quality of working out this track. The lower mids are just as small, the upper mids are accentuated, but do not hurt the ear.

jo-wK7-nkwwR6v7dVtgSiU-v2GayFDcWfgoJ35OpwZeZSCqEsVouZ_ajzco4IY8o_bKWn3bVivW1qpjgUloqIv9Mcf9eup4PNo4JUXxfDm6rc3KJctSLM0KhOxYx4GLqoF7bfrG9

AP80 Pro, Dragonforce - Disciples of Babylon.
There are more Low frequencies . More sub-bass, more mid-bass.
The Middle frequencies themselves became a little less clear, but they added fat and body. The lower mids are noticeably larger, the guitar sounds fatter, the drums have grown in size and weight, and the attacks have become even more distinct. The rise in the upper mids became at the same time slightly more noticeable and angrier.
The High frequencies added in quality too, but barely noticeable.
The Stage has become slightly smaller in width, but still the same in depth.

Separately, I would like to note the effect named Soundfield which can be selected in Options of play. It embellishes the sound and is present in both versions of the player, but in the AP80 Pro realization of this effect is better.
Soundfield 1.0 adds a lot of low-midrange, which benefits Starfield. However, at the same time, the treble also becomes more and sometimes it is unnecessary. The vocals move back a little.
In tracks where there is a heavy load on the mids, instruments and vocals begin to heap, the roar of the guitar drowns out all other sounds.

AP80 Pro, The Prodigy - Boom boom tap.
A sub-bass was added, the mid-bass became a little rounder, otherwise the changes are the same as with the previous track.

D7Bx9c_z9BYCfl7R9_vMbI0aSX6SSdL8ZNBvGW261S_dDEsTBgAtiuO49ctcBSYPpeSspETz4Zx1MWyiiLvIVQqh8AKUrUdmoBBOectmGOwz4nZNKpC-yuDoEAx5aqcJI0HtW02R

If this is your first Hifi player, then the AP80 Pro will be your long-term friend and can be founded here. However, if you already have an entry-level player or a regular AP80, then I see no reason to buy the Pro version.

It should be noted that the player does not have a Wi-fi function and does not provide an opportunity to use streaming services. Everything is the old fashioned way, the purchased music must be transferred to an SD card. It might make sense to add some money and immediately start staring at mid- to high-end players that offer streaming services such as Tidal, Deezer, Apple music, Spotify and others.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a good-sounding player that you can hang on your arm during your morning run, then among competitors in this form factor Hidisz AP80 Pro will be one of the best choices, if not the best.

Thank you for reading and have a nice day!

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #4,077 of 4,614
It should be noted that the player does not have a Wi-fi function and does not provide an opportunity to use streaming services. Everything is the old fashioned way, the purchased music must be transferred to an SD card. It might make sense to add some money and immediately start staring at mid- to high-end players that offer streaming services such as Tidal, Deezer, Apple music, Spotify and others.

streaming services, and also bluetooth, are both low quality

you need SD card and wired headphones to get CD quality or higher

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #4,078 of 4,614
streaming services, and also bluetooth, are both low quality

you need SD card and wired headphones to get CD quality or higher
well, maybe. But Tidal give you an opportunity to listen music in MQA quality (Master quality), which can be 24bit/384kHz, or even if your device is not authorized, then it'll be flac quality 16bit/44kHz. :wink:

Oct 24, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #4,079 of 4,614
Hello. I have been having trouble connect my lotoo paw s1 to my ap80. At first it says its connected, but the moment I play it, the icon that shows it is connected to a dac via usb disappears.... Then no sound comes out....

I can use the lotoo paw s1 just fine with my tempotec v1....

Oct 25, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #4,080 of 4,614
Hey guys quick question ....been trying to find some comparisons on audio alone between ap80 pro and a btr5 , anyone out there that can compare both????? I'm contemplating buying a Pro for work but it's not a necessity as I already own btr5 which I use for work.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back