AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Jun 22, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #3,916 of 4,614
well does one port use more battery then the other?

does one port produce better sound then the other?

slightly better sound quality would not be worth a large hit to the play time

Does one read the review of the other? :D I covered the sound quality compared between SE and BAL ports.

Regarding battery, balanced output has almost 3x more power, so the battery drain should be higher. Again, I don't know if they power down the second DAC when used as single ended or keep both on, thus don't want to speculate. Besides, these are very power efficient DACs designed for smartphones. We are not talking about desktop ES9038 Pro DACs where one vs two make a big difference in power consumption.

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #3,917 of 4,614
Does one read the review of the other? :D I covered the sound quality compared between SE and BAL ports.

Regarding battery, balanced output has almost 3x more power, so the battery drain should be higher. Again, I don't know if they power down the second DAC when used as single ended or keep both on, thus don't want to speculate. Besides, these are very power efficient DACs designed for smartphones. We are not talking about desktop ES9038 Pro DACs where one vs two make a big difference in power consumption.

i dont care about subjective opinions on sound quality.

only thing i care about is if dual dacs are running on both ports, and if dual dacs causes more battery consumption

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #3,918 of 4,614

only thing i care about is if dual dacs are running on both ports, and if dual dacs causes more battery consumption

2.5mm BAL uses 2 DACs, 3.5mm SE uses 1 DAC, as just confirmed by Hidizs.

And if you don't care about the sound quality and only care about battery life, for example, SR25 from its 2.5mm BAL output playing high res FLACs runs about 22.5 hrs on a single charge.

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #3,919 of 4,614
2.5mm BAL uses 2 DACs, 3.5mm SE uses 1 DAC, as just confirmed by Hidizs.

And if you don't care about the sound quality and only care about battery life, for example, SR25 from its 2.5mm BAL output playing high res FLACs runs about 22.5 hrs on a single charge.

i didnt say i dont care about sound quality

i said: "slightly better sound quality would not be worth a large hit to the play time"

personally ap80 pro offers me nothing over my ap80

if my ap80 got stolen i would either get another ap80 or maybe an R3 pro

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #3,920 of 4,614

i said: "slightly better sound quality would not be worth a large hit to the play time"

To me, way better sound on 2.5mm over 3.5mm on my AP80 PRO Copper.

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #3,921 of 4,614

Well, like I said, it would help if you read my review, because i mentioned a similar thing in my conclusion.

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #3,922 of 4,614

Wow what an absence of basic social manners and that too for a respected reviewer as @twister6 ! An utter lack of consideration and recognition for the reviewers time and effort. Btw Alex didn't force anyone here to read his review and opinion. Sometimes people's behavior on Head-fi can leave us speechless.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #3,923 of 4,614

Loved the tonality of AP80 Copper as well, and if AP80 Pro scales up the same way, I'm sure it's going to be one fine little DAP :)

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #3,924 of 4,614

well apparently the 2.5 puts out more ohms or something. which would make it sound better for bigger headphones perhaps

but at the expense of battery

your better off buying some lower ohm headphones

my sony h.ear on over ear headphones are only 24 ohm i think

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #3,926 of 4,614
Pls do ask why is glitter noise while Dac from phone. Having this issue while using Samsung note10+

Wired or wireless? Connected wired as USB dac, noise is typically due to EMI and not sufficient shielding. But why use wired when you can use it as a wireless DAC w/LDAC protocol? I would go for wireless DAC connection to your note 10+.

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #3,927 of 4,614
Wired or wireless? Connected wired as USB dac, noise is typically due to EMI and not sufficient shielding. But why use wired when you can use it as a wireless DAC w/LDAC protocol? I would go for wireless DAC connection to your note 10+.
I would like to point out that from @twister6 review he most sensibly suggested that (just like myself) if your satisfied with your AP80 there is no obligation to upgrade to the Pro version.

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #3,928 of 4,614
well apparently the 2.5 puts out more ohms or something. which would make it sound better for bigger headphones perhaps

but at the expense of battery

your better off buying some lower ohm headphones

my sony h.ear on over ear headphones are only 24 ohm i think

I compared 3.5mm vs. 2.5mm with HD650 (300ohms, 97dB/mW), Ether2 (16ohms, 92dB/mW), TinHiFi P1 (20ohms, 96dB/mW).
I know they are all hard to drive (especially, Ether2/P1 for high current requirement), so maybe it make little difference for high efficiency models, but unfortunately, I don't have balanced high efficiency IEMs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back