AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Feb 12, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #3,691 of 4,614
i start with basic master root genre folders. then put artists in there, then albums in artists folder, then tracks in albums folder

you could potentially put sub genre folders in the master root genre folders. then artists in the sub genre folders etc..

most albums it doesnt matter what order you listen to the songs in. so you could easily just get rid of album folders. and dont bother saving every song in an album, delete the ones u dont like.

then all your artist folders would be like giant greatest hits compilation folders, no more albums

and i always use direct SD card file navigation

i think that is the fastest way to find what your in the mood to listen to. player > files > genre > artist > play

the only time i use tags is if i want to shuffle all my artists within one genre. because my folder layout would not allow that, so i would have to go to that genre tag > play > shuffle

otherwise tag data isnt really needed with my layout

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #3,692 of 4,614
i start with basic master root genre folders. then put artists in there, then albums in artists folder, then tracks in albums folder

I don't use genre at all.

most albums it doesnt matter what order you listen to the songs in.

The track order is super important to me.

:D

Different strokes.

I do this:

A > Abba - 1978 - Some Album
A > Abba - 1979 - Some Other Album
B > Bathory - 1985 - Some Album

etc. Works well enough. 2500 albums or so means on average there are only 100 subfolders inside each letter folder.

Edit: cool Buckethead avatar. I saw him twice in a TINY bar playing by himself with backing tracks on a cassette played on a boombox plugged into his guitar amp. Madman.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #3,693 of 4,614
The track order is super important to me.

i dont think track order matters much on most albums.
also most albums have songs you wont like, so your wasting space keeping them, and annoying having to skip them all the time

your alphabetical letter ordering folder method is interesting. only problem with that is you have to have all the music and artists memorized. also where would you put compilation folders? for example BEST OF THE 80'S COMPILATION. would you put that in B ? then you have to have every folder memorized so u can find it.

or maybe u can just put all random compilations in C

i start with mood. from my mood i go into genre folder. then from there i can see all the folders i have. and pick one.

it all starts with mood anyway. and genre are representations of moods

mood > genre > artist

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #3,694 of 4,614
i dont think track order matters much on most albums.

I strongly disagree. At least with the music I listen to. The song ordering is part of the artist's view of what the album experience is supposed to be. E.g. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, Metallica - And Justice For All, Jonas Hellborg - Ars Moriende, Coroner - Last Entertainment, and hundreds of others.

also most albums have songs you wont like, so your wasting space keeping them, and annoying having to skip them all the time

Eh, not really annoying tbh.

your alphabetical letter ordering folder method is interesting. only problem with that is you have to have all the music and artists memorized.

Yeah, that's a real (first-world) issue for me when I add new albums from artists that are new to me. In the past I have created a __NEW__ top level folder and put new albums I need to check out in there. Once I've decided I like the album, chances are I'll remember the artist :D so it gets promoted to the letter folder.

also where would you put compilation folders?

V > Various Artists - 2001 - Best of Whatever

i start with mood. from my mood i go into genre folder. then from there i can see all the folders i have. and pick one.

I can see how that would work. For me, my mood is always foul, so it wouldn't really work. :D And I don't find genres useful, because they're either too broad (e.g. "Classical" or "Metal") or really stupidly precise ("Progressive symphonic technical death metal" as opposed to "Classic death metal" or "Swedish death metal" or plain ol' "Progressive death metal"). I don't have time to tag, remember, or give a f about those subgenres. And tags from Musicbrainz or whatever aren't consistent for a given album. So the genre tag may as well not exist for me.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #3,695 of 4,614
I have a MUSIC folder with sub-genre by Artists. The Artist files have songs in them like a huge greatest hits/songs I really like compilation. That’s about 350gb and counting on a 500gb card.
Outside the Music Folder, I dump full album and discographies to listen to and peruse for more songs to add to my compilation MUSIC folder. I then rotate these in/out as I either pull off my favorite songs or tire of the full albums. Then i’ll Add more albums and do it all over again.

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #3,696 of 4,614
Feb 14, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #3,697 of 4,614
can this player function as bluetooth receiver then send the signal via usb c digital out to a chord mojo? like i will use my phone to stream music via bluetooth to the AP80, then it will pass it out to the mojo? thanks in advance

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #3,698 of 4,614
So after abt a week of use, am happy with my purchase. Love this little DAP now am curious about what iem's does other owners here prefer to pair with the AP80? Sound is subjective yes but let's find out if there is any particular brand/model that most owners prefer with their AP80. I use a KZ ZSX as well as Audiosense AQ3..love both but at times find the ZSX a bit too bright especially with certain complex metal genre's ( sadly many suffer from bad mastering which doesn't help the ears)

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #3,699 of 4,614
So after abt a week of use, am happy with my purchase. Love this little DAP now am curious about what iem's does other owners here prefer to pair with the AP80? Sound is subjective yes but let's find out if there is any particular brand/model that most owners prefer with their AP80. I use a KZ ZSX as well as Audiosense AQ3..love both but at times find the ZSX a bit too bright especially with certain complex metal genre's ( sadly many suffer from bad mastering which doesn't help the ears)
I was using KZ ZS6, but recently upgraded to KZ KSX. I have some high frequency hearing loss from the Army, so I don't notice any overly bright notes from the ZSX.

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #3,700 of 4,614
The ZSX is my favorite, and I listen to a lot of "complex metal genres."

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #3,701 of 4,614
I was using KZ ZS6, but recently upgraded to KZ KSX. I have some high frequency hearing loss from the Army, so I don't notice any overly bright notes from the ZSX.
I've tried few KZ iem's and ZSX is the best Soo far for my ears. Its a big leap from the other KZ models and less fatiguing. Many of the metal albums are bad recodings poorly mastered n since ap80's tuning is a bit on the brighter side I find the ZSX bit piercing in some occations. Pls note this is in comparison with my other iem, Audiosense AQ3. Also i don't use any eq and prefer the ap80's almost neutral tuning.

Feb 15, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #3,702 of 4,614
I've tried few KZ iem's and ZSX is the best Soo far for my ears. Its a big leap from the other KZ models and less fatiguing. Many of the metal albums are bad recodings poorly mastered n since ap80's tuning is a bit on the brighter side I find the ZSX bit piercing in some occations. Pls note this is in comparison with my other iem, Audiosense AQ3. Also i don't use any eq and prefer the ap80's almost neutral tuning.
Try the Soundfield toggle in settings. I find that very useful with IEMs.

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #3,704 of 4,614
Can't stand IEM's, use my AP80 with my Sennheiser HD 58X's.

how many ohms are those? 150? so you use the gain on high? is that enough?

my sony h.ear on are 24ohms only. i use gain on low. i find gain on high to make more listening fatigue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back