AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Nov 20, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #3,556 of 4,614
Transferring the update file over failed, I'm waiting on a card reader to come in but I just realized I picked up an SDXC card instead of regular SD. Could that be the cause of the issue?
Try with a FAT32 formatted card. Seems to work better for firmware updates. MUST place the update file in the main/root directory of the card, NOT in any folder.
The microsdXC will work fine. Larger capacity cards are labeled with the XC.(eXtra Capacity)

Nov 20, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #3,557 of 4,614
I was just about to edit that comment to ask about formatting. I heard there should be an option on the AP80 to format the card inside it, but I'm not seeing that. Worst case I'll just have to try when the card reader comes in, right? Or is there something I can try before then?

Nov 20, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #3,558 of 4,614
I always Unzip and only place the update.upt file into the root directory of the card. (PER Hidizs instruction file...) You do not need a card reader to transfer files to the microSDXC card in the AP80. I am assuming that you already have transferred some music this way? And the music was readable by the
- If that is unsuccessful, Many laptops have built in SD card readers, if you have a microSD to SD card adapter you can try that. Those adapters often come with the microSD Cards.

Nov 20, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #3,559 of 4,614
When I tried transferring an album, about 3 of the tracks made it over. The "transferring..." popup in Win10 was extremely laggy in a way I've never seen before, calculated more than a day to transfer the files, and with the update file leaving it going overnight it only went from 1% to 5% by morning. The song names are correct, no other data is displaying properly, and I get "error 12" when I try to play them.

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #3,561 of 4,614
Can't tell what your problem is from your explanation.
- Transfer times are way too long. Should be USB 2.0 speeds. Try another USB cable?
- Assume that the Player is showing up as "USB Drive (D:)" (Could be another letter besides D on your PC)
- Check under SYSTEM SETTINGS / USB MODE Should be set for STORAGE.
- Disconnect, and reconnect usb cable, with player off. Can you see USB Drive (x:) ? Try transferring. Just took me about 7 seconds to transfer a 100Mb FLAC file.
- If still no good, try a Factory Reset under System Settings. (Then Repeat above)

- Also can try taking OUT the Microsd card, and putting it back in with Player OFF. Sometimes they don't seat properly... Re-Start and try above again.

- Some microSD and MicroSDXC cards and fakes. That could be the problem... Or it could be something else.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #3,562 of 4,614
Can't tell what your problem is from your explanation.
- Transfer times are way too long. Should be USB 2.0 speeds. Try another USB cable?

I'm using the one that came included in the AP80 package.
Assume that the Player is showing up as "USB Drive (D:)" (Could be another letter besides D on your PC)

EDIT: Actually it's showing up as G:

Check under SYSTEM SETTINGS / USB MODE Should be set for STORAGE.

Yes
Disconnect, and reconnect usb cable, with player off. Can you see USB Drive (x:) ? Try transferring. Just took me about 7 seconds to transfer a 100Mb FLAC file.

Yes

If still no good, try a Factory Reset under System Settings. (Then Repeat above)

I'll try that now

Some microSD and MicroSDXC cards and fakes. That could be the problem... Or it could be something else.

Well, I ordered through Amazon, but it came in an authentic Sandisk package.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #3,563 of 4,614
I'm using the one that came included in the AP80 package.

Well, I ordered through Amazon, but it came in an authentic Sandisk package.

You cannot tell whether a card is fake by looking at the packaging or the card today. They look identical. When you have a way to connect the card to your PC, there are ways (freeware) that can run read/write tests to ensure the cards are good, and have correct capacity. Even good vendors are fooled and sell them unknowingly. And bad vendors are all over the place too.

WHEN Connected to your computer. Go to USB DRIVE (D:) and highlight a music file you transferred there. Right click and open it with a music player on your PC. If it plays, they the file is good, and the file transfer was successful. So USB cable is OK.

Good luck.

Nov 22, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #3,564 of 4,614
Got the card reader in. h2testw and ChkFlsh are both telling me that the verification has 88+ hours remaining, with a 700-800KB/s write speed. guiformat tells me it can't format the card because it's being used by another program, even when it isn't. When I factory reset the AP80, I opened the drive and the album was still on it. If I try to delete it from PC, it tells me the file or folder is corrupted so it can't do anything about it. I think it's safe to assume that all of this means the card is the issue.

Nov 22, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #3,565 of 4,614
Got the card reader in. h2testw and ChkFlsh are both telling me that the verification has 88+ hours remaining, with a 700-800KB/s write speed. guiformat tells me it can't format the card because it's being used by another program, even when it isn't. When I factory reset the AP80, I opened the drive and the album was still on it. If I try to delete it from PC, it tells me the file or folder is corrupted so it can't do anything about it. I think it's safe to assume that all of this means the card is the issue.
Sorry to hear. It does sound like a bad microsd card. If I remember a 200GB card takes about 4 hours to completely scan using h2testw. That was using a USB3.0 rated card reader. A USB 2.0 would be slower, but not that much. A 400GB card would take probably around 8 hours to test.

Have to tried to reformat the MicroSD card? Can just try having Windows reformat to EXFat. ExFat should work with the AP80. (FAT32 is a bit more universal and accepted by almost all operating systems.) Any chance you have another MicroSD card to test out? Even a small capacity one... just to be sure that the the AP80 and card reader are working properly.

Luckily around this time of year (black friday) there are a lot of deals on microsdxc cards. Most of my cards are Sandisk, or Samsung. Still I test new ones before using, as both are commonly faked.. I never buy "really cheap" ones from Ebay or from web sites selling at 50% or lower than the price of places like Newegg, and B&H Photo.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #3,566 of 4,614
Add me to the people whose AP80 broke soon after received and who will never buy a Hidizs product again.
Bought it direct from Hidizs for an excellent price ($112.50).
After a lot of messages from me at various places Hidizs did respond.
Basically the same experience most people have had: after making me provide some receipts, they made me try reflashing the firmware and resetting the settings to the defaults, then advised me I would need to ship it to China for them to check out, but I would have to pay shipping and taxes.
The cheapest shipping price I could find was $35.
Like almost everybody else, decided against shipping it back.
On Amazon, one reviewer did ship his to China, and reports:
"First unit stopped functioning after a month. It took me three months to get Hidiz to respond and after paying shipping ($25) to china another two weeks to get a replacement. The replacement lasted a week. I will never buy another item from this company. Not recommended!"
When mine stopped working:
I was in the middle of listening to Reference Recordings Saint Saens Organ Symphony 4th movement, when the great sound suddenly turned terrible.
Volume was halved and sound quality much worse.
Tried playing some pop music and lead vocals were distant echos, like left and right were combined and center audio information cancelled out.
Also no more radio reception.
My theory is the jack's ground connection went bad.
No stress was being put on the jack when things went bad: it was just laying flat on the bed next to me, running off the battery, no charger attached.
Its held together by glue, not screws; I saw the FCC images earlier in this thread, its very involved, so I won't be trying to fix the jack.
Just recycling/trashing everything they sent me.
Fool me once, shame on them.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #3,567 of 4,614
Add me to the people whose AP80 broke soon after received and who will never buy a Hidizs product again.
Basically the same experience most people have had: after making me provide some receipts, they made me try reflashing the firmware and resetting the settings to the defaults, then advised me I would need to ship it to China for them to check out, but I would have to pay shipping and taxes.
"First unit stopped functioning after a month. It took me three months to get Hidiz to respond and after paying shipping ($25) to china another two weeks to get a replacement. The replacement lasted a week. I will never buy another item from this company. Not recommended!"
I was in the middle of listening to Reference Recordings Saint Saens Organ Symphony 4th movement, when the great sound suddenly turned terrible.
Tried playing some pop music and lead vocals were distant echos, like left and right were combined and center audio information cancelled out.
No stress was being put on the jack when things went bad: it was just laying flat on the bed next to me, running off the battery, no charger attached.
Its held together by glue, not screws; I saw the FCC images earlier in this thread, its very involved, so I won't be trying to fix the jack.

Mine's working fine after a year of heavy use. Love it! Go figure.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #3,569 of 4,614

and let me guess, you replaced it with xDuoo XD05, right? :D Welcome to head-fi, since you just joined today.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #3,570 of 4,614

i get constant 30MB/s off a usb 2.0 card reader on my laptop. but for some reason i cannot transfer files to my 256gb card over the usb cable. after some time transfering the card disappears and the player reboots. but it works fine with my 128GB card. both cards work great otherwise and work fine over the card reader in laptop

windows wont format an sd card over 32GB to fat32, only exFat. in order to update firmware from within an early firmware fat32 may be needed. hidizs seems to have added exfat support in later firmwares. so after the first firmware update you can switch to exFat.

i get the same error from guiformat, even wtih a good sd card. they need to fix guiformat. so you'll have to find another way. PM me if u need help.

never try to update firmware from a sketchy sd card, you could brick your ap80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back