AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Nov 5, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #3,436 of 4,614
however I am pretty meticulous with my tagging and art.

i had to switch from Mp3tag to TagScanner because ap80 would not show all the tags from mp3tag for some reason. simply copying my music into tagscanner and hitting save fixed this problem.

tagscanner is just as good anyway so i didnt mind switching

--------------

when sorting by genre or artist u will see that tiny icon in the upper right, it switches between album or track view

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #3,437 of 4,614
Thanks for the tip as well as the link previously to page of tips, I'll be sure to go through them in detail

I'll stick with MP3 tag unless i run into problems but gained my experience with MP3 tag as a result of other daps which weren't as tag friendly

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #3,438 of 4,614
I'll stick with MP3 tag unless i run into problems

i would switch to tagscanner if i was you, its just as good, if not better, as mp3tag, and very easy to use, and free

most of your tags from mp3tag will be fine in ap80 but the odd one wont work, it wont show correctly. and that will make your tag sorting on ap80 messier.

i would uninstall mp3tag and install tagscanner and then copy your entire music library into tag scanner, highlight it all, then hit save, and wait for it to finish.

it will not alter any files. or re-encode any files at all, but it will repair the tags, and make them work perfectly on ap80

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #3,439 of 4,614
Just unravelled this little box of tricks

Build quality seems really good, love the size of the dap (had an m1 and an m0 before). No scanning issues of my 128gb SD card - however I am pretty meticulous with my tagging and art. Plugged in moondrop kxxs and hit play, sounds like a pretty good combo to my ears. Had a play through the menus and looks like the ap80 has a lot of tricks in its box which I'll get used to in due course.

Happy so far on initial impressions
It’s a pretty great little DAP. I was skeptical about the MSEB tuning before buying it, but now I have MSEB profiles for each pair of headphones as well as my car. Between that and tweaking the soundfield, I get some very good results, even on more relatively disappointing headphones.

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #3,440 of 4,614
was skeptical about the MSEB tuning before buying it,

ive been using the MSEB to reduce the bass sometimes and its been working great.

the regular equalizer seems to be all messed up. down is up and up is down. and moving one thing seems to reduce the volume. im not sure what im doing wrong.

so i prefer the mseb so far

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #3,442 of 4,614
FiiO have annouced their BTR5 which is using the same dual dac chips like the AP80 Pro.

Now I am desperate to know if the AP80 Pro is going to have to be funded through Kickstarter with potentially months of waiting or scoop the BTR5 @$110 when it launches at the end of the month.

I know they're not identical devices but it's being considered as a gift for my father who wouldn't be able to tell the limits of 24/96 LDAC over bluetooth.

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #3,443 of 4,614
FiiO have annouced their BTR5 which is using the same dual dac chips like the AP80 Pro.

Now I am desperate to know if the AP80 Pro is going to have to be funded through Kickstarter with potentially months of waiting or scoop the BTR5 @$110 when it launches at the end of the month.

I know they're not identical devices but it's being considered as a gift for my father who wouldn't be able to tell the limits of 24/96 LDAC over bluetooth.

The FiiO is just a bluetooth dac. You'll still need a music source to use it. If that's all you need I'd look at the forthcoming Qudelix -5K

https://www.qudelix.com/specification

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #3,444 of 4,614
The FiiO is just a bluetooth dac. You'll still need a music source to use it. If that's all you need I'd look at the forthcoming Qudelix -5K

https://www.qudelix.com/specification

Thanks for the link. This looks good too. The boxes I am looking to check are dual dac and balanced 2.5mm output while staying at or below $200.

AP80 Pro would keep it all in a single device but these days it's rare not to have a phone on you at all times.

I wonder if the SQ will be varied much across the 3 mentioned devices.

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #3,445 of 4,614
Thanks for the link. This looks good too. The boxes I am looking to check are dual dac and balanced 2.5mm output while staying at or below $200.

AP80 Pro would keep it all in a single device but these days it's rare not to have a phone on you at all times.

I wonder if the SQ will be varied much across the 3 mentioned devices.

just buy an LG v30 phone, it has high quality audio

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #3,446 of 4,614
just buy an LG v30 phone, it has high quality audio

Just buy an $830 phone with 3.5mm single ended output? https://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-US998-Unlocked-v30

4881222-0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back