AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Oct 17, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #3,331 of 4,614
which is probobly because your making mistake #2 as ive stated above:

"2- have an sd card littered with files they dont like, and therefore need playlists to avoid those files"

meaning your saving tracks you dont like, which bloats your music collection. a form of hoarding lol.

i only have 7067 songs in my collection but every single song is a personal favorite. ive spent a good amount of time removing all the ones i dont like

now i have no need for playlists to dodge all the sporatic crap that a music collection will contain if you hoard

not to mention that i can also fit it all easily on a 256GB sd card

and if i ever get over 20000 songs i like one day, then i could just start removing the least favorite tracks from the collection because there is really no need for a human to have more then 20000 songs. the brain cant even remember all that. 20000 is enough to create a gold fish bowl effect for the human brain where u can swim around indefinitely within it and never get bored

I have music that I like. I have music that my wife likes. I have music that I like for certain occasions or moods. There is no one true way to listen to music, or to organize it. I'll assume you are joking by saying that I'm making a mistake.

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #3,332 of 4,614
I have music that I like. I have music that my wife likes. I have music that I like for certain occasions or moods. There is no one true way to listen to music, or to organize it. I'll assume you are joking by saying that I'm making a mistake.

not saying mistake, im saying your hoarding files if you own files you dont like.

you and your wifes collection should be separate, and only contain files each of you likes

then you will shrink the size down and not need playlists

its just as easy to do the work to delete the files you dont like as it is to make a playlist. either way your picking out the ones u like

thats work that needs to be done no matter what, in order to increase listening enjoyment, so myswell get all that crap off your hard drive

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #3,334 of 4,614
Okay, surely THIS is a joke... obviously he and his wife can enjoy having their music in the same collection if they want to.

its not about wants, its about solutions. he already confessed two problems:
1- having to create and use playlists
2- not being able to fit music onto sd card

both issues are caused by the same thing. saving every single song by a band and not deleting the ones u dont like

if that method is truly better then i would like to know why, then i would switch to it myself

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #3,335 of 4,614
OmniscientNihilist,
Your words are judgmental, insulting, and ridiculous. (But, YOU already KNEW THAT). Your solution may work for you as your palate is less evolved.
AndySocial has always been helpful to me and others on this forum, going out of his way to spend his time coming up with solutions that may be beneficial.
Your handle tells us all we need to know, but its not succinct enough. 1. You should shorten it, to just A*hole.
2. Work on your song library even harder. Narrow it down further, to one song that can be played on Repeat. (might i suggest "The Asshole Song" by Jude. But, there are many others).
3. Go away. So you are not here, or anywhere.

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #3,336 of 4,614
its not about wants, its about solutions. he already confessed two problems:
1- having to create and use playlists
2- not being able to fit music onto sd card

both issues are caused by the same thing. saving every single song by a band and not deleting the ones u dont like

if that method is truly better then i would like to know why, then i would switch to it myself
Those are not problems. Choosing to use playlists is because I like certain songs played together, and not randomly or by selecting each one in the silence after the one song I previously selected is done playing. You know, like a radio that doesn't need constant attention but just plays music. Or, in my youth, I would place a stack of 45 RPM singles on a spindle and let them play in the order I chose.

It sounds like you think I want to listen to the exact same sequence of songs every day, or just randomly play everything at once. I don't judge how you play music, but that sounds like chaos or a lot of effort to futz with the controls for every single song. I'll stick with what has worked for me for forty years.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #3,337 of 4,614
OmniscientNihilist,
Your words are judgmental, insulting, and ridiculous. (But, YOU already KNEW THAT). Your solution may work for you as your palate is less evolved.
AndySocial has always been helpful to me and others on this forum, going out of his way to spend his time coming up with solutions that may be beneficial.
Your handle tells us all we need to know, but its not succinct enough. 1. You should shorten it, to just A*hole.
2. Work on your song library even harder. Narrow it down further, to one song that can be played on Repeat. (might i suggest "The Asshole Song" by Jude. But, there are many others).
3. Go away. So you are not here, or anywhere.

Then quit talking to him! He has 8 posts. The reaction to him is why he has kept posting.

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #3,338 of 4,614
Choosing to use playlists is because I like certain songs played together

using the playlist to avoid having to manually select them. good idea, but why are those songs not in the same folder in the first place? or desired to be played together?

i just realized that shuffle + play through folders on the ap80 does not work as i expected it too. its not jumping around through the sub folders for each shuffled track the way i thought it would. they would have to add an extra tick box of: (do you want shuffle to play through sub folders per track yes or no) its only shuffling within the folder and then i would guess playing through the folder after every track has been played. so that means i would have to either use playlists or tags to hear songs in a different order then i arranged folder wise (other then using standard shuffle mode within one individual folder i created)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #3,339 of 4,614
OmniscientNihilist,

or maybe u just don't like me, and therefore see things that way.

if you want to understand me then google: INTJ, that is my rare (2.1% of total pop.) genetic personality type, which i was born with, and which often causes people to misunderstand me and pre-emptively judge me as a know it all a-hole

actually i just added INTJ to my PF page.

you need to realize that as an INTJ i often turn talks into debates and play with abstraction for fun with no necessary practical reason behind it lol

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #3,340 of 4,614
using the playlist to avoid having to manually select them. good idea, but why are those songs not in the same folder in the first place? or desired to be played together?

i just realized that shuffle + play through folders on the ap80 does not work as i expected it too. its not jumping around through sub folders within the parent folder the way i thought it would. so that means i would have to either use playlists or perhaps use shuffle within certain tags (which i havnt tried yet to see if that even works the way i want)
Why are songs not in the same folder? Because I don't ALWAYS want to listen to them in one sequence. I sometimes want to listen to a bunch of Prince, and other times I want to listen to a bunch of songs from 1986, and other times I want to listen to funk from across the decades. Putting one "playlist" of songs into a specific folder is unnecessarily restrictive, and assumes that I only ever want to hear songs in one sequence forever. Again, this is not in any way how I've ever interacted with music.

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #3,341 of 4,614
I sometimes want to listen to a bunch of Prince, and other times I want to listen to a bunch of songs from 1986, and other times I want to listen to funk from across the decades.

i guess tags are too limiting. ap80 only have artist and genre but not year. and no ability to combine tags together. so playlists would be needed to go beyond the tag sorting, or using shuffle within tag sorting.

those tag limitations could be overcome if hidizs broadened the tag options. have more tags and also some type of tag STACKING ability.

for example stack a pop genre tag with a 1980's decade tag in order for the player to find every 80's pop song on the entire sd card despite being sorted differently folder wise.

poeple would also have to make sure all their tags in files were set properly

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #3,342 of 4,614
i guess tags are too limiting. ap80 only have artist and genre but not year. and no ability to combine tags together. so playlists would be needed to go beyond the tag sorting, or using shuffle within tag sorting.

those tag limitations could be overcome if hidizs broadened the tag options. have more tags and also some type of tag STACKING ability.

for example stack a pop genre tag with a 1980's decade tag in order for the player to find every 80's pop song on the entire sd card despite being sorted differently folder wise.

poeple would also have to make sure all their tags in files were set properly

I miss the dynamic playlist abilities of the Rio line, particularly the Karma. I could have it put together a mix of songs that I'd rated highly but hadn't listened to lately, or songs of the 1980s, or a variety of other automatic creations. Nobody seems to have that sort of interest in acting like a true "smart DJ" in the current market. The sound quality may be better, but the user interfaces have been given very short shrift.

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #3,343 of 4,614
ap80 specs says it puts out up to 40kHz frequency response out the headphone port. so since frequency response is always half of sample rate does that mean putting any files higher then 80kHz sample rate is a waste of space?

i already assumed this and downscaled all of my 192kHz flacs to 96kHz in audacity

also i noticed when i did that the bitrates dropped. so there must be some relationship between sample rate and bitrate?? like there is between sample rate and frequency response(always half of sample rate)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #3,344 of 4,614
ap80 specs says it puts out up to 40kHz frequency response out the headphone port. so since frequency response is always half of sample rate does that mean putting any files at higher sample rates then 80kHz is a waste of space?

i already assumed this and downscaled alot of my 192kHz flacs to 96kHz in audacity

also i noticed when i did that the bitrates dropped. so there must be some relationship between sample rate and bitrate? like there is between sample rate and frequency response(always half of sample rate)

*facepalm* please, google the meaning of frequency response and sampling rate. Those are two different and completely unrelated things... and I hope you saved your original 192kHz flacs without over-writing them when you downsampled it... Unless, your post is just a joke?

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #3,345 of 4,614
*facepalm* please, google the meaning of frequency response and sampling rate. Those are two different and completely unrelated things... and I hope you saved your original 192kHz flacs without over-writing them when you downsampled it... Unless, your post is just a joke?

well i noticed when i scanned audio files into SPEK the frequency response was always about half the sample rate. for example CD sample rate is 44kHz and the frequency response shows about 22kHz. i noticed the same thing for 96kHz sample rate would always show around 48kHz frequency response. so i googled it and i found some information confirming that the frequency response will always be half the sample rate

i also noticed the bitrate would drop when i would lower the sample rate, so im curious as to that relationship.

why are the frequency response and bitrates tied to the sample rate? why cant they be controlled individually. and does it matter that they cant be?

im not looking to get a PHD in audio engineering, im just looking for enough information to help me maximize by personal benefits.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back