AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Oct 17, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #3,316 of 4,614
It may be worth noting that formatting the SD card to ExFAT also works without issue.

when i first got my ap80 i tried updating firmware from ntfs, exfat, and fat32 logical parititon, and nothing worked until i used fat32 primary partition. the only weakness of fat32 is windows wont format fat32 on an sd card larger then 32GB. so i had to use a third party software.

if exfat is working for you to update firmware then either i never really tried it, or perhaps they updated the updater itself. i notice when im updating firmware it says updater v1.1 or something.

in the ap80 'quick user guide' it says to use fat32:

Firmware upgrade
The firmware upgrade may cause the machine to malfunction due to
incorrect operation!
Read the following upgrade instructions carefully before upgrade.
Please do not turn off the player during the upgrade process, and
ensure the battery level is not less than 30%
Copy the AP80 upgrade update.upt provided by Hidizs to FAT32
format.
TF card root directory, insert the TF card into the AP80. Enter system
settings —> click system upgrade —»A prompt box will pop up: Click to
con[Jrm the upgrade

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #3,317 of 4,614
when i first got my ap80 i tried updating firmware from ntfs, exfat, and fat32 logical parititon, and nothing worked until i used fat32 primary partition. the only weakness of fat32 is windows wont format fat32 on an sd card larger then 32GB. so i had to use a third party software.

if exfat is working for you to update firmware then either i never really tried it, or perhaps they updated the updater itself. i notice when im updating firmware it says updater v1.1 or something.

in the ap80 'quick user guide' it says to use fat32:

Firmware upgrade
The firmware upgrade may cause the machine to malfunction due to
incorrect operation!
Read the following upgrade instructions carefully before upgrade.
Please do not turn off the player during the upgrade process, and
ensure the battery level is not less than 30%
Copy the AP80 upgrade update.upt provided by Hidizs to FAT32
format.
TF card root directory, insert the TF card into the AP80. Enter system
settings —> click system upgrade —»A prompt box will pop up: Click to
con[Jrm the upgrade

ExFAT is the only format I have tried with my AP80, and have experienced zero issues.

Oct 17, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #3,318 of 4,614
ExFAT is the only format I have tried with my AP80, and have experienced zero issues.

ok i just tried it and it worked. 128GB micro SD card formatted to exFAT, latest firmware update 2.0, it says Updater v 1.1 while its updating the firmware.

i could have swore i tried exfat when i first got the player. maybe i didnt. i dont remember the first firmware version or updater version i had, perhaps that i had something to do with it.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #3,320 of 4,614
ok i just tried it and it worked. 128GB micro SD card formatted to exFAT, latest firmware update 2.0, it says Updater v 1.1 while its updating the firmware.

i could have swore i tried exfat when i first got the player. maybe i didnt. i dont remember the first firmware version or updater version i had, perhaps that i had something to do with it.
The first firmware version (and maybe the second) required FAT32, but later revisions expanded the formats that would work.

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #3,321 of 4,614
i am having 4 issues with my ap80. im on firmware 2.0beta2. perhaps someone knows a solution:

1-i have a playlist file in my list named 0. that will not delete. i never created it, its empty, and it will not delete even if i try and even if i Restore factory settings and tick the also delete playlist data box. im curious if anyone else has this strange file??
2-if i delete a playlist that i did make it also wont delete, BUT if i try and delete the 0. playlist above it (the one i didnt make) then it deletes the playlist below (the one that i did make)

3-sometimes my 256 SD card disappears while trying to access it over the usb cable. and then afterwards it also disappears on the ap80 too. the ap80 cant detect it until i reboot the ap80 then it shows up again. this never happens with my 128GB SD card. (so i dont know if its the cards fault or the ap80's fault). zero issues with either sd card when plugged directly into the pc with sd card adapters, and also zero issues when simply playing music off the either sd card on the ap80. both sd cards were purchased from a safe and reputable vendor, not amazon.

4-one album art that wont display. it's in my only .ogg file. the album art is only 770x702 and 96KB jpeg file. the art displays fine when the file is played on PotPlayer on pc.

i do not know if any of these issues happen on earlier firmwares.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #3,322 of 4,614
i am having 4 issues with my ap80. im on firmware 2.0beta2. perhaps someone knows a solution:

1-i have a playlist file in my list named 0. that will not delete. i never created it, its empty, and it will not delete even if i try and even if i Restore factory settings and tick the also delete playlist data box. im curious if anyone else has this strange file??
2-if i delete a playlist that i did make it also wont delete, BUT if i try and delete the 0. playlist above it (the one i didnt make) then it deletes the playlist below (the one that i did make)

3-sometimes my 256 SD card disappears while trying to access it over the usb cable. and then afterwards it also disappears on the ap80 too. the ap80 cant detect it until i reboot the ap80 then it shows up again. this never happens with my 128GB SD card. (so i dont know if its the cards fault or the ap80's fault). zero issues with either sd card when plugged directly into the pc with sd card adapters, and also zero issues when simply playing music off the either sd card on the ap80. both sd cards were purchased from a safe and reputable vendor, not amazon.

4-one album art that wont display. it's in my only .ogg file. the album art is only 770x702 and 96KB jpeg file. the art displays fine when the file is played on PotPlayer on pc.

The Playlist named 0 is a known issue. It’s just there. Album art on .ogg, not sure. Have you tried to replace the art in the metadata? I sometimes have to do that with album art even though it shows in my JRiver app.

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #3,323 of 4,614

1. The 0 playlist has been there for three firmware versions. Not only can't you delete it, it actually shifts all your actual playlists by one. If I click on (for example) A_List and say "delete," it will delete B_List instead. You might think to try to delete the 0 list by deleting the last playlist, and wrapping around - this also will not work. Hidizs has been told about this issue repeatedly over the past 8 months and have made no mention of plans to fix it.

2. I haven't seen the disappearing card, but when I update the player, I usually need to reboot it before I can see the new files on the AP80, even in file browser mode.

Oct 17, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #3,324 of 4,614

I'm still on 1.1 and i have this issue.

- The next issue i encounter is the proprietary playlist format with track path begining by a:/ location...

- And le .lrc lyrics files not recognized.

Oct 17, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #3,325 of 4,614
The next issue i encounter is the proprietary playlist format with track path begining by a:/ location...

mine uses a:\ with the backslash not forward slash. it seems that ap80 uses that 'absolute path' when you create a playlist with the player. i wonder if it would recognize a 'relative path' playlist, or if that would even help when it comes to using playlists on the ap80 that were created on the pc

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-convert-playlist-to-relative-path

personally i never use playlists. i keep all my music sorted by genre using folders, then sorted by artists using folders within the genre folders. and i never navigate by tag data, always folders. i dont keep any songs i dont like.

needing playlists seem to be more for people who either:
1- have not organized their files by genre folders, and therefore need playlists for theme/mood organization
2- have an sd card littered with files they dont like, and therefore need playlists to avoid those files

some examples of root folders that i have:
80'S POP
BUCKETHEAD
ELECTRONIC
GRUNGE
METAL
NATIVE AMERICAN
PUNK
R&B
RAP
REGGAE
RELAX
ROCK

etc....

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #3,326 of 4,614
mine uses a:\ with the backslash not forward slash.

yes, i wrote from smartphone, just mispelled.

it seems that ap80 uses that 'absolute path' when you create a playlist with the player.
i wonder if it would recognize a 'relative path' playlist, or if that would even help when it comes to using playlists on the ap80 that were created on the pc

He dont ! Because a:/ is not an absolute path of your machine, it is not a true mounting point, but just use this prefix for himself. (it's a part of his subsystem, look at disk letter on your windows, it is not always a:/)
I'm on Linux, and he still use a:\.... On linux this kind of scheme does not exists ! my path is look like /mnt/ap80/... {my music dirs}
Then, i'm still rewrote each time the file (using a regex) to format it.
And this is not real m3u8.

personally i never use playlists. i keep all my music sorted by genre using folders, then sorted by artists using folders within the genre folders. and i never navigate by tag data, always folders. i dont keep any songs i dont like.

Sorting music is personal. Everyone who really need to use playlist is fuc**d.
Personally, i'm using an arborescence tree by music genre (actually 85... yeah i have no style :dt880smile:), because i like all perfectly sorted.
But for some reason, i like to use playlist by humor or any action that i whant the music leads me, and other times to follow me. (two type of playlist by context).

Hopefully, my hybe R6P manage really well the m3u and i regex convert on the fly to ap80 format when i backup new songs to from hiby to hidizs.

i wondering how Mac user came to manage this.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #3,328 of 4,614
I'm still on 1.1 and i have this issue.

- The next issue i encounter is the proprietary playlist format with track path begining by a:/ location...

- And le .lrc lyrics files not recognized.

The way I've handled playlists (using MediaMonkey on Windows, but I've also tested MusicBee) is to ensure you're using relative file paths, and Linux path separators (slash vs. backslash). Saving the playlists in the playlist_data directory allows them to then be imported into the database (although the deletion issue is problematic), but they also work just from the file browser.

MM_Playlists.png

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #3,329 of 4,614
mine uses a:\ with the backslash not forward slash. it seems that ap80 uses that 'absolute path' when you create a playlist with the player. i wonder if it would recognize a 'relative path' playlist, or if that would even help when it comes to using playlists on the ap80 that were created on the pc

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-convert-playlist-to-relative-path

needing playlists seem to be more for people who either:
1- have not organized their files by genre folders, and therefore need playlists for theme/mood organization
2- have an sd card littered with files they dont like, and therefore need playlists to avoid those files

some examples of root folders that i have:
80'S POP
BUCKETHEAD
ELECTRONIC
GRUNGE
METAL
NATIVE AMERICAN
PUNK
R&B
RAP
REGGAE
RELAX
ROCK

etc....

I use playlists because that's how I've listened to music since the days of vinyl and mixtapes. Also, I have far too much music in my library to store all of it on one SD Card (somewhere around half a terabyte), so I sync up a subset, depending on my mood or interests. I've got playlists for specific years and genres (Billboard 1988, or KROQ 1992, for example). Even if I could fit my library on one card that would be read by one portable device (until very recently, not possible), navigating through my entire library by genre or artist would be insane.

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #3,330 of 4,614
I use playlists because that's how I've listened to music since the days of vinyl and mixtapes. Also, I have far too much music in my library to store all of it on one SD Card (somewhere around half a terabyte), so I sync up a subset, depending on my mood or interests. I've got playlists for specific years and genres (Billboard 1988, or KROQ 1992, for example). Even if I could fit my library on one card that would be read by one portable device (until very recently, not possible), navigating through my entire library by genre or artist would be insane.

which is probobly because your making mistake #2 as ive stated above:

"2- have an sd card littered with files they dont like, and therefore need playlists to avoid those files"

meaning your saving tracks you dont like, which bloats your music collection. a form of hoarding lol.

i only have 7067 songs in my collection but every single song is a personal favorite. ive spent a good amount of time removing all the ones i dont like

now i have no need for playlists to dodge all the sporatic crap that a music collection will contain if you hoard

not to mention that i can also fit it all easily on a 256GB sd card

and if i ever get over 20000 songs i like one day, then i could just start removing the least favorite tracks from the collection because there is really no need for a human to have more then 20000 songs. the brain cant even remember all that. 20000 is enough to create a gold fish bowl effect for the human brain where u can swim around indefinitely within it and never get bored

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back