AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Oct 14, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #3,301 of 4,614
what is MSEB ?
Click on the Hidisz icon on the AP80 screen when you play music. Then MSEB. Put it ON. Then set it like you will do with a decent analog EQ.

As described on their website:

Mage Sound 8-Ball Tuning

''MSEB is a combination of multiple algorithms based on parametric equalizer (PE!) and sound field adjustment to create the most satisfying sound for you.''

If your isn't ON I am pretty sure you will be pleasantly surprised. Its like a useful EQ on a portable device in a non destructive matter.
A little like Photoshop is doing to an original picture without destroying the original file.
I really don't know how they did it because I am no programmer but it really work.
No its not my 31 band analog EQ but it sure give me some fun in my sound.

By the way, it seems that the AP80 is on sale on their website:

https://www.hidizs.net/collections/special-offer/products/ap80

Oct 14, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #3,302 of 4,614
I seem to remember that it may be via Kickstarter, and by "end of October". But actual units would then be some time later. Have not seen an update in several weeks.

You can sign up for updates, and read preliminary specs at: https://ap80pro.hidizs.net/

Dimensions are wrong on their webpage. Should be same size as AP80. 2 Dacs (Same model as AP80, but 2) Single ended only. Looks like can support 256DSD, up from 128.

Yes, dimensions are incorrect on the page, can't be smaller than M0 considering 2.45" display. But it's NOT single ended "only" anymore. They updated the page with a reference to 2.5mm Balanced output. Also, I saw somewhere on FB, they replied with "price is not finalized yet, but will be under $200".

Oct 14, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #3,303 of 4,614
Yes, dimensions are incorrect on the page, can't be smaller than M0 considering 2.45" display. But it's NOT single ended "only" anymore. They updated the page with a reference to 2.5mm Balanced output. Also, I saw somewhere on FB, they replied with "price is not finalized yet, but will be under $200".

Looks it's Shanling m0 killer. Double DAC + balanced + 8ballEQ

Oct 14, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #3,305 of 4,614
That's a great price for Balanced! Thanks for the update!
(Then it would be like the new Hiby R3-Pro. Which I presume would still have balanced like the R3, but also with double DACs in the PRO)

Oct 14, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #3,309 of 4,614
The good thing about m0 its built like a tank, I dropped it twice and works. AP80 may shatter because of glass on the backside ?
Well, I dropped my AP80 pretty hard on a gritty concrete sidewalk just the other day. The screen didn't break at all, but I noticed some scratching and small marks in it, which really bummed me out -- until I remembered it came with stock screen protectors pre-applied to the front and back panels! It was like a moment of sadness and instant relief as I remembered, haha... in any case, it survived a pretty bad scenario of a drop and the AP80 comes with backup screen protectors if the initial ones get too marked up. I take good care of my gear, but of course accidents happen. I've been more than happy with the build quality of my AP80 so far.

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #3,310 of 4,614
I noticed something regarding the connection via BT to an iOS devicee; the issue that it is in sbc mode. I found a,workaround of sorts and can connect,to an iOS,device with apx.

If you go In To your BT settings on the phone and select the ap80 to connect - it will connect in aptx, but if you turn on BT on the 80 in its menu and connect to the iOS device through the 80, it will be in sbc.

The downside is that when connected in aptx, there is a three second audio delay...this is not an issue for music, but it makes watching video impossible.

Forgive the spelling and grammar - typing from phone with fat fingers.

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #3,311 of 4,614
I noticed something regarding the connection via BT to an iOS devicee; the issue that it is in sbc mode. I found a,workaround of sorts and can connect,to an iOS,device with apx.

If you go In To your BT settings on the phone and select the ap80 to connect - it will connect in aptx, but if you turn on BT on the 80 in its menu and connect to the iOS device through the 80, it will be in sbc.

The downside is that when connected in aptx, there is a three second audio delay...this is not an issue for music, but it makes watching video impossible.

Forgive the spelling and grammar - typing from phone with fat fingers.

the lack of aac on this is honestly ridiculous in 2019

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #3,312 of 4,614
the lack of aac on this is honestly ridiculous in 2019
Maybe so, maybe not. This is a budget device that has fairly good sound quality, screen size, and a variety of other features that solidly outperforms the fiio m5 and shanling m0.

I have used this along side the m0 and m5, and it is easily the best of three. I also prefer it in many ways to the shanling m2x.

I’m assuming yo hav used the device. Compromises have to be made, and th good news is there are other options that may suit your needs better.

(Apple needs to get moving on ldac, which would render the hand wringing over lower end BT codec support moot. )

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #3,313 of 4,614
I've never heard the M0 personally but reviews say the AP80's sound is superior.

I use a chord 2 Hugo for a dac/amp for 99% of my listening. For those times I don’t, I prefer the ap80’s sound quality over not only the shanling m0, fiio m5, and in many cases to the shanling m2x. I would imagine the ap80 pro willl be clearly ahead of the m2x in both se and balanced.

The major feature the m2x has going for it (for my needs) is the airplay compatibility with iOS devices. The ap80 is a solid contender, and I would be shocked if the pro doesn’t make it even more so.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #3,314 of 4,614
1-Don't buy this player if you have fat fingers or bad eyes, due to small touchscreen
2-It puts out a neutral sound signature, and has two different equalizers
3-EQ does not work with Hi-Res audio, but the MSEB does.
4-Replaygain will work if you add replaygain tags to files using foobar2000 program (free)
5-Repair metadata: copy all music into TagScanner (free), highlight all, hit save.
6-If album art not showing (rare), copy it into windows paint and reduce the size
7-If sorting by Genres or Artists, icon in upper right switches album view / track view
8-New ap80 has 2 plastic protectors, remove top layer, keep 2nd layer. 2 replacements in box
9-Use gain on high option to boost volume beyond 100, for headphones with high ohms
10-If touch screen freezes flick off on. If OS freezes hold power button 10s to force shutdown
11-Enabling 'in line remote' option makes button on headphone cable work
12-Click button on headphone cable once for play/pause, twice to skip track
13-Faulty cable button can cause random playback issues. Disable 'in line remote' option
14-Charge time: usb 3.0 port = 2hrs / 5v2.4a wall charger = 1hr20min
15-Charge battery between 20-80%, 5C-20C temp, 5v1a-2a, for longest life
16-Beware: cold winter temperatures may damage the battery or the screen
17-Beware: hand sanitizer or lotion can get into the buttons and stick them up
18-FM radio uses wired headphone cable as antenna, so will not work with Bluetooth
19-Output frequency is 20-40kHz. Use Spek (free) to show the true level of Hi-Res files
20-Plays music off USB stick using a OTG type C to A adapter, but drains battery faster
21-Use another microSD card with OTG USB-C to microSD adapter, but drains battery faster
22-USB modes: Storage=transfer files & charge, Audio=USB DAC only, Dock=charge only
23-USB can work as input (OTG, file transfer, DAC) or output (to amp)
24-You can't install apps (google play, apple store, etc..), or connect to wifi, on ap80
25-SD card and TF card mean the exact same thing, u can use either one
26-Google: ap80 firmware, to find the latest firmware update and instructions
27-Beware of fake SD cards. Don't update firmware before testing yours. Try H2testw (free)
28-First firmware update may require FAT32. Switch to exFAT for everything afterwards
29-Standby option cancels Idle timer. Only turn screen off, leave unit powered on
30-If using standby music will not un-pause after one minute with screen off
31-Sleep timer counts down immediately, playing music or not. Disables itself afterwards
32-Gapless playback option is helpful when working out to EDM
33-If BT not pairing reboot both. Start pairing, hit search devices, wait, check bottom of list
34-Ap80 can scan almost 2000 songs per minute, when updating music database
35-Database can index tag data for up to 20 000 tracks max
36-Don't need tag data, can navigate folders, and play files, directly from sd card
37-Windows error checking scan can create a folder: FOUND.000, it's safe to delete
38-'Play through folders' option gives continuous playback when playing directly from sd card
39-Folders will hesitate to open by +1sec for every 500 items listed within them
40-Hold touch on any file/folder to access bulk playlist, or bulk trash, options
41-See total tracks on sd card: sort by All, play song, check number below album art
42-For playlists; use a:\ indexing, in m3u files, in folder named: playlist_data
43-Tracks listed in .cue files will display when navigating sd card by files, or tags
44-It will display MQA when playing an MQA encoded flac, if you have new firmware
45-Soundfield option simulates wider soundstage, use 15% on closed back headphones

Official frequencies of the MSEB (MageSound 8-ball):
1 -- Overall Temperature tilt of whole line to treble(cool) or bass(warm)
2 -- Bass extension 70Hz and below
3 -- Bass texture 100Hz (medium)
4 -- Note thickness 200Hz (wide)
5 -- Vocals 650Hz (very wide)
6 -- Female overtones 3kHz (tight)
7 -- Sibilance LF 5.8kHz (medium)
8 -- Sibilance HF 9.2kHz (medium)
9 -- Impulse response 7.5kHz (very wide)
10 - Air 10kHz sloped all the way to 20kHz

-https://manuals.plus/hidizs/hidizs-ap80-marketchangers-manual
-https://www.hidizs.net/pages/download-center
-https://fccid.io/2ANW4-AP80/User-Manual/15-AP80-UserMan-r1-4122196

Attachments

• AP80__guide_on_teardown__repair.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back