AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Oct 13, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #3,286 of 4,614
So AP80 Pro is coming, I'm wondering what the terminology of "Pro" signifies.
Whar are the technical implications of "Pro"? Twin DAC, balanced phone out, steel casing, or what?
Or no such implications, just another description of upgrade per Hiby and Hidizs?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #3,287 of 4,614
A lot of stuff gets lost in translation :wink: I got half a dozen of messages already from different people asking me if I'm sure this is a copper chassis and not just another "pretty" color option because manufacturer keeps mentioning the color in their generic replies. When one unit is around 75g and another over 100g, you know the weight accounts for a different material :D
They already answered about the copper:

The difference between AP80 Copper and other colors of AP80 is the difference in exterior color and material. AP80Copper is made of pure copper material with no surface treatment, so the body is easy to oxidize and reacts with sebum and oxygen in the air while using it. You can enjoy a variety of ways to enjoy, such as aging by oxidization, and enjoying the polished surface. The spec is the same performance.

Under the rain it would turn green.

Oct 13, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #3,288 of 4,614
They already answered about the copper:

The difference between AP80 Copper and other colors of AP80 is the difference in exterior color and material. AP80Copper is made of pure copper material with no surface treatment, so the body is easy to oxidize and reacts with sebum and oxygen in the air while using it. You can enjoy a variety of ways to enjoy, such as aging by oxidization, and enjoying the polished surface. The spec is the same performance.

Under the rain it would turn green.

That's a waste of copper and money then. Better buy ALU and invest money into copper cable. Also oxidized copper looks ugly.

Oct 13, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #3,289 of 4,614
So AP80 Pro is coming, I'm wondering what the terminology of "Pro" signifies.
Whar are the technical implications of "Pro"? Twin DAC, balanced phone out, steel casing, or what?
Or no such implications, just another description of upgrade per Hiby and Hidizs?

Its suppose to stroke your ego and make you feel better, then you hopefully will part with your money. There is nothing Pro about AP80 pro, there won't be even balanced out.

Oct 13, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #3,292 of 4,614
IMG_20191013_183800~2.jpg
It does indeed have AAC, at least in receiving mode, so should be capable of outputting AAC too? I'm not sure how to tell what codec it's using to send.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #3,294 of 4,614
Bluetooth settings > High Quality mode selector. I connected to my phone by Bluetooth and set the output on the phone to AAC in developer options. I can't seem to get the AP80 to act as an APTX receiver though. LDAC working fine.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #3,296 of 4,614
I'm still waiting to try the latest firmware.
An idea if they will add the feature to backup more than one EQ config, like they do for the MSEB ?

Oct 14, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #3,298 of 4,614
i talk about the user friendly parametric equalizer of hiby's player, called "Mage Sound 8-ball Tuning" (MSEB)

Oct 14, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #3,300 of 4,614
When is AP80 Pro supposed to be available?

I seem to remember that it may be via Kickstarter, and by "end of October". But actual units would then be some time later. Have not seen an update in several weeks.

You can sign up for updates, and read preliminary specs at: https://ap80pro.hidizs.net/

Dimensions are wrong on their webpage. Should be same size as AP80. 2 Dacs (Same model as AP80, but 2) Single ended only. Looks like can support 256DSD, up from 128.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back