AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Mar 15, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #2,731 of 4,614
The problem is well documented here on all firmware versions, including 1.0.1 which mine came with. It's a low-volume backgroud hiss/distortion noise which you wouldn't notice on loud tracks, such as on Thriller. Try listening to a jazz/folk/classical track with quiet bits and the noise is immediately apparent. What's more, the three DSD "ouput modes", ie PCM, DoP, and Native, produce exactly the same sound and noise, so I suspect these are fake settings too. I'm using a fast U3 SD card, with 100MB/s read speeds, and 24-bit 192KHz FLACs play fine, with a higher bit-rate than DSD. The device is unusable with DSD files as stands.

Here's my take: Its a complete joke for DSD...i threw the AP80 aside months ago and will likely give it to a non-DSD using friend. It was perfect in the AP200 so not sure what they screwed up this time but never again will i buy something from Hidizs.

It's really quite a shame as UNDER all that static the unit produces sterling sound with DSD and the built-in program reads ISOs too.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #2,732 of 4,614
Well I found my working method for embedding artwork so that it works properly..

For whatever reason MP3tag works for .mp3 and flac for most players, but the AP80 doesn't seem to like my files that have artwork embedded with that app. Have tried sizing the artwork to 500, 700, 1000.. hit or miss at best.

What I tried last night was to use Fubar. Update the front cover artwork (even if the file already has it present) by overwriting it with 700x700 sized .jpg, and it works perfectly.. so I can only assume that MP3tag is doing something that the AP80 doesn't like. Doing the same size adjustments and embedding with Fubar works perfectly.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #2,733 of 4,614
Its been two weeks now and I have been using the device for almost 12 hours a day.

I am on 1.0.1 Beta

I really like the device so far, the sound is amazing. these are the only problems I encounter (probably because of the Beta tag):

-On DSD files the EQ doesn’t work but MSEB does, but the sound is so good I really don’t need to play with it. Unlike some here, my DSD albums all sound great.

-Can’t keep date + Clock, I have a watch so I don't really care.

-If powered off most of the time the device doesn't remember where it was.

-Sometimes it forget custom EQ settings.

- I can’t scan folder (probably too many song on my new Card.) to update database. But it is another feature I never use. I prefer to have folders and searching for albums by names.

-Cannot move 2 points on the custom EQ first treble and last bass but can move them on the presets. I have to ask my wife to move them she got smaller fingers, so here the problem is probably me.

And I really think if some people need to ask question, you should try on Aliexpress. The seller answer really fast there. I was polite and nice and they where too.

https://brightaudio.aliexpress.com/store/932490?spm=2114.10010108.100005.1.61527272dlAbz8

I will probably buy the device again if I lost it. The problems I have so far are nothing compare to what I had when I was a teenage with my walkmans. I paid 800$ CDN for my first walkman CD, and 250$ for one of my cassette players.
And so many Mp3 readers after that.
And this little device is so much better. I just don't care about the clock, or pictures, or pedometer. I just want good sound, and boy does it deliver for me.

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #2,734 of 4,614
Nope. Where do I find this analysis program? Thank you

Lucky you. My 256go SanDisk works perfectly in the AP60. The AP80 crashes during scanning..

My cards were originally formatted and used in the AP60 before I returned it to Amazon 3 weeks later when the heaedphone jack died. They were not touched until I got the AP80.

Porbably cursed myself... I did have a freeze up earlier today. I was getting no audio. Switched to FM tuner. Audio came back. Went back to a FLAC file. No sound. Tried another song, Still no sound. Turned the player off and it got stuck on the Goodbye screen. Had to hold the power button for 20-30 seconds before it powered off fully then powered back on. Music played fine at the point.

The other time it froze was when the firmware upgrade/insert TF card message came up and required a hard reboot to get it to go away.

I might be ready to give up on this and toss it into the junk drawer until I see news of a firmware update (not going to hold my breath) and grab the Fiio M3K to tide me over until something new comes out or the M6 or M7 drops enough in price that the wife won't notice. Freezes, poor screen response (c'mon Hidizs, touchscreens were perfected years ago!), crap cases, buggy software...

Mar 18, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #2,736 of 4,614
a mix of all kind. Mostly flac, some mp3, some wav and ape.
I think the card is formatted fat32. Or exFAT. I'll check later

jep. I have to check that again. But the card works fine on two type of computers (mac and win10) and in the AP60 ...
I have just acquired an AP80 and am having much the same problem. Database update freezes. I've loaded FLAC and MP3 files, different sd cards, fat32 and exfat, and problem remains. Sometimes the database update will reach 6 files, or 761 files, and once as high as 1277 before freezing. The radar screen keeps turning but files don't advance. Stuck with just playing files in order from "all files". Very frustrating. Anyone have any possible solutions?

Mar 18, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #2,737 of 4,614
I have just acquired an AP80 and am having much the same problem. Database update freezes. I've loaded FLAC and MP3 files, different sd cards, fat32 and exfat, and problem remains. Sometimes the database update will reach 6 files, or 761 files, and once as high as 1277 before freezing. The radar screen keeps turning but files don't advance. Stuck with just playing files in order from "all files". Very frustrating. Anyone have any possible solutions?

I'd try using a different firmware along with a different sd card just to test and see if it progresses any further. I found that when it came to the scanning firmware 1.0 works better than 1.0.1, so perhaps start there and see if it helps.

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #2,738 of 4,614
I'd try using a different firmware along with a different sd card just to test and see if it progresses any further. I found that when it came to the scanning firmware 1.0 works better than 1.0.1, so perhaps start there and see if it helps.
Been there, done that. Starting over with fat32 format of card, downloading firmware update, installing, then try loading music. Same problem. Reached 20 tracks then spinning wheels. INTERESTING. I downloaded Hiby app to my phone. It started scanning then stopped. After shutdown and restart of app it has scanned 23k files but stopped again. Perhaps the problem rests with the Hiby software expecting a certain format in the filename or it there is just something in the file name it doesn't like. Don't know, have to keep trying to find answer.

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #2,739 of 4,614
Been there, done that. Starting over with fat32 format of card, downloading firmware update, installing, then try loading music. Same problem. Reached 20 tracks then spinning wheels. INTERESTING. I downloaded Hiby app to my phone. It started scanning then stopped. After shutdown and restart of app it has scanned 23k files but stopped again. Perhaps the problem rests with the Hiby software expecting a certain format in the filename or it there is just something in the file name it doesn't like. Don't know, have to keep trying to find answer.
Hiby app scanned and sorted my 26k music files on my phone so perhaps thats not the problem.

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #2,740 of 4,614
The update database scanning freeze happens on my AP60 MKII.

I can (after a couple of attempts) get it to successfully scan a full 32GB Sandisc MicroSD card. Anything more than 32GB it freezes.

The AP60 MKII also forgets EQ settings when powered off and on again.

This would possibly mean it's a bug with the @Hidizs firmware

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #2,741 of 4,614
The update database scanning freeze happens on my AP60 MKII.

I can (after a couple of attempts) get it to successfully scan a full 32GB Sandisc MicroSD card. Anything more than 32GB it freezes.

The AP60 MKII also forgets EQ settings when powered off and on again.

This would possibly mean it's a bug with the @Hidizs firmware
You could be right. Has anyone out there had success loading 10k of files, and if so how did you do it?

Mar 19, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #2,742 of 4,614
OK, so I have no issues scanning files, but I'm not here to gloat.

Ill document my setup, and write a how-to guide using musicbrainz Picard. However this thread seems the wrong place - if I was to write a generic guide to using it, with a focus on the ap80s, which forum would be it? I'll write it up then link back here.

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #2,744 of 4,614
Hi guys, mine just arrived. First impressions: wow, what a small device. Build quality is good for the price. The sillicone case not so good but at least comes with one.

SQ; better resolution and more detailed than my Galaxy S9. It is fairly neutral. I've messed with the MSEB but I just ruined the sound LOL. I guess I won´t be touching that setting,

I haven´t had any truble with the knob, I can turn it with no problems with one finger while not using the case.

I love knobs, and specially DAPs with nice knobs. Just look at it; pretty nice:

ap80.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #2,745 of 4,614
I've messed with the MSEB but I just ruined the sound LOL. I guess I won´t be touching that setting,

I thought that at the beginning too, but I realised the default slider range in MSEB is too much, change it to 'middling' -40~+40 and it's much easier to dial in subtle changes. Depending on your headphones it sounds great without MSEB, but I find certain albums or certain headphones benefit greatly from what it can offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back